Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
ok I just obtained a used SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED assembled in Viet Nam with end caps and hood

from KEH - Used Cameras & Photography Equipment Store | Buy & Sell on KEH Camera | KEH Camera

described by them as BGN.

I have 14 days to try it out and return without question. After that, it is mine

it isn't what KEH claimed = BGN (Bargain) " 70 - 79 % of original condition . . . " but appears to be more like BNG I see no external wear at all on the exterior nor nothing on the external glass

will have to pick up some of the SMU before I post pictures

any suggestions on specific ways to check it out in the next 10- days or so other than to go out and start using it?

[ don't think I should just walk into my local Brick and Mortar camera shop and ask their opinion even though they don't carry Pentax, they do try to sell the rare ones they get in the store ]

no offense taken, I hope my response to you was received in the same matter [ some times communicating via posts can lead to misunderstandings ]

I appreciate your " . . . 2 cents of opinion . . . " and such opinions are helpful to me and I hope to others who read this thread. I am seeking such knowledgeable opinions and these forums is a great supply of such info IMHO

budgeting and waiting is often the best option however it doesn't really occur for me when I have " money burning a hole in my pocket " and am trying to spend the money I received as a refund before the " little grey cells " (as

Hercule Poirot would say ) kick in and I decide to save the $

Hercule Poirot - Characters - Agatha Christie

isn't that what GAS really means?
I bought two lenses from KEH, a DA 21 Limited (my favorite overall lens) they graded as LN- and a FA 50mm F1.7 which they graded as EX, both lenses looked brand new and the DA 21 even came in its original box. They are good with their grading. Hopefully the lens works well and you got yourself a great deal. As far as checking it out, be sure the aperture blades snap shut when you release the aperture lever and it zooms and focuses smoothly without binding. Then just go out and take pictures with it

Last edited by jddwoods; 07-07-2017 at 05:18 PM.
07-07-2017, 06:24 PM   #32
Forum Member

I bought my 55-300 DAL used, so first thing I checked was focus. For close-up, I take pictures of my bookshelf from about 10 feet away. For testing long-range I shoot a parking lot of cars to see if I can read the license plates and model numbers of cars from a long distance. I look for CA by shooting tree limbs against the sky and check Bokeh and focus by shooting a flower or single limb from 4-6 feet. If focus and exposure look good after all that, I feel pretty good.
07-09-2017, 04:10 PM   #33
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I bought my 55-300 DAL used, so first thing I checked was focus. For close-up, I take pictures of my bookshelf from about 10 feet away. For testing long-range I shoot a parking lot of cars to see if I can read the license plates and model numbers of cars from a long distance. I look for CA by shooting tree limbs against the sky and check Bokeh and focus by shooting a flower or single limb from 4-6 feet. If focus and exposure look good after all that, I feel pretty good.
Just to add to this. Once you have checked that it is focusing with at least reasonable accuracy (within range of fine-tuning), I'd suggest checking in case of bad de-centering. Some de-centering seems to be common with consumer zooms, so don't expect it to be perfect - the only issue would be if it is particularly egregious. One way to test is to shoot a page of text from a position at exact right-angles, using a tripod.

The other thing I'd say about this lens, from my own experience, is that it grows on you. It's not a "Wow" lens like the FA 77 or DFA100. Practise and work out how it works best for you. At the long end, try to stop down to at least f7.1 or f8 whenever possible, even at the cost of slower shutter speeds or higher ISO. And I find it's worth re-reading @Heie 's excellent article about technique: Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
07-09-2017, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I've posted photos that I took with it on various threads

so far, other than standard (for me) operator error, I haven't found anything particularly wrong with it.

K 3 + Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

here are two examples, no pp other than cropping

by the way, in the first photo, I didn't notice the web until I looked at it on the computer

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-09-2017 at 04:28 PM.
07-09-2017, 04:57 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

by the way, in the first photo, I didn't notice the web until I looked at it on the computer
That's generally how I can tell I made the right choice -- when I can see things in my images I couldn't see before... a drop of sweat on an upper lip or a tiny spiderweb on a blossom...

So it looks like you did good 😊

-Eric
07-09-2017, 05:30 PM   #36
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've posted photos that I took with it on various threads so far, other than standard (for me) operator error, I haven't found anything particularly wrong with it. K 3 + Smc PENTAX-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED here are two examples, no pp other than cropping by the way, in the first photo, I didn't notice the web until I looked at it on the computer
Lovely. You did indeed get a bargain. Enjoy it.
07-12-2017, 03:59 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
For anyone who may have been waiting with bated breath, I have decided to keep the SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED that I purchased on KEH.com

Used Cameras & Photography Equipment Store | Buy & Sell on KEH Camera | KEH Camera

thank you for all the comments and suggestions

you are all awarded "Bonus Points" suitable for the purchase of beverages when accompanied by $

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-12-2017 at 04:05 AM.