Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How to cure GAS: buy the best lenses first, then you will not need to buy other lenses.
How true!

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
If you want the 55-300 used, you would be better with newer version which has a few advantages:
1. Comes with a hood
2. Metal lens mount which may be an advantage with a longer heavier lens like this.
3, Most important; quick shift focus. This helps a lot with a slow, noisy focusing lens.
I have a copy of the latest HD version but hardly use it since I got the PLM version. I do not think I would want this lens without quick shift which cuts down autofocus noise and slowness considerably.
I wholeheartedly agree quickshift is the biggest advantage of the DA over the DAL, the autofocus is so slow and noisy on its own. The hood is also essential, though the seller may have bought one and included it. I would save my money and wait til I could afford the PLM. It's hard to wait, but remember fast AF and WR. But if you're getting that for a great deal, like under $70 go for it Remember one thing, it's a lot easier for all of us to give you advise on how to spend your money, we don't have to live with a decision.

07-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
As far as lenses to go, I'd say sell (almost) all the zooms you have except, but keep the 16-85mm (it'll replace both versions of the 18-55mm lenses) and keep the 150-450mm lens, and keep the primes (the 40mm, 50mm, 100mm macro, and the 200mm).
07-02-2017, 02:48 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Remember that you will need at least one new photobag when you update. Perhaps several!

There were some very good advice is this post the other day -- Looking for a Camera Bag for K-1 and 15-30, 24-70, and 70-200 - PentaxForums.com
07-02-2017, 04:38 AM   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I wholeheartedly agree quickshift is the biggest advantage of the DA over the DAL, the autofocus is so slow and noisy on its own. The hood is also essential, though the seller may have bought one and included it. I would save my money and wait til I could afford the PLM. It's hard to wait, but remember fast AF and WR. But if you're getting that for a great deal, like under $70 go for it
The PLM is a really nice lens - quiet and fast, as you say Tom - but it's way more than the non-WR screw drive versions. Optically there isn't much between the screw-drive versions and PLM, so why wait? On a tight budget the screw-drive versions are a simple choice IMO.

07-02-2017, 06:30 AM   #20
Veteran Member

When I've browsed ebay, I've found basically 4 different versions of the 55-300:

DAL: as others have said, plastic mount, no quick shift, no hood. Ebay price: $100-150
DA: metal mount, hood and quick shift: ebay price $150-200, though I have seen these go for close to $100 now and again.
WR: same as the DA but whether sealed. New on B&H for $330, ebay prices haven't entirely caught up, I usually see them for $250-300, with an occasional $200.
PLM: new lens entirely, slightly slower, but more compact and motor focused (and incompatible with older bodies) $450 on B&H. $350 or more on eBay.

Personally I'd like the WR, but at $250, it seems better to just save a bit more and buy it new. The compactness of the PLM is nice, but for my purposes, fast and silent focusing isn't really useful.
07-02-2017, 06:50 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Definitely keep the HD 16-85. It is weather resistant and has great image quality; it lives on my K-5. It is larger than the 18-55, but much higher image quality. There are several versions of the 18-55... the original version that came with the istDL was really bad--the newer versions were better. i never used the 18-55 after buying the 16-85. If I am worried about bulk, I will carry a small prime like a 21mm or 35 mm. The 50mm prime is good for portraits. I just bought the 55-300 DAL second hand and the image quality on my K-5 and K-1 is very good. (Works in full-frame on a K-1 at short and long end... vignetting in the middle.) You can buy a lens hood from B&H that fits it, but it is a little pricey. It is too bad it doesn't have quick-shift manual focus, and keep in mind it does not have its own built-in focusing motor, so it is VERY loud focusing! I bought the DAL because I didn't have an auto focus zoom; I don't use it much but now I have it if I need it! If you can get the DA version with the hood and quick-shift for $50 more, I'd go that route, but it still uses the camera motor to focus, I think.
07-02-2017, 09:23 AM   #22
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
Definitely keep the HD 16-85. It is weather resistant and has great image quality; it lives on my K-5. It is larger than the 18-55, but much higher image quality. There are several versions of the 18-55... the original version that came with the istDL was really bad--the newer versions were better. i never used the 18-55 after buying the 16-85. If I am worried about bulk, I will carry a small prime like a 21mm or 35 mm. The 50mm prime is good for portraits. I just bought the 55-300 DAL second hand and the image quality on my K-5 and K-1 is very good. (Works in full-frame on a K-1 at short and long end... vignetting in the middle.) You can buy a lens hood from B&H that fits it, but it is a little pricey. It is too bad it doesn't have quick-shift manual focus, and keep in mind it does not have its own built-in focusing motor, so it is VERY loud focusing! I bought the DAL because I didn't have an auto focus zoom; I don't use it much but now I have it if I need it! If you can get the DA version with the hood and quick-shift for $50 more, I'd go that route, but it still uses the camera motor to focus, I think.

these are great comments and they are expanding beyond my initial inquiry - which is great imho

Please keep them coming, I think this thread is becoming something which is helpful to myself and possible others

07-02-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How to cure GAS: buy the best lenses first, then you will not need to buy other lenses.
Alternative method. Buy the most expensive lens first. This prevents you from buying anything else due to lack of funds.
07-02-2017, 03:19 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Greenneck Quote
Alternative method. Buy the most expensive lens first. This prevents you from buying anything else due to lack of funds.
Love it!

07-03-2017, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I want to thank all for the opinions offered

I appreciate your opinion on swapping the Tamron with the used Pentax DAL

some thing to consider

not all of us can afford the best all the time

for example

yes

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

is the best available but the difference in cost between that one, even used, and what I am considering is quite a lot and is beyond my budget

true, true but you have to have the $$ available to do that otherwise you make compromises

from what I can tell, if I sell all of the vintage lenses and inferior lenses, the amount I could raise would not be very much at all
My suggestions to you were based on the fact that I have, or had the various versions of this lens. I was giving my impressions of the versions, not making any references to your budget. That is entirely up to you. I use/used the DA 55-300 for birds/wildlife photos entirely outdoors and in these situations having a version with quick shift and a hood are an advantage. Others who may use the lens for different purposes may not see the same need for quick shift or a hood in strong sunlight. If you really want this lens you may want to look for a used SMC (not DA L) version which gives hood, quick shift and metal mount for a good price point. All you give up is WR of the newer version and quiet focus of the PLM version. By the way you already have my real dream lens, the 150-450 which is way out of my budget, and you have 50-200 which cover any 200-300mm telephoto needs. If you can hold off for a while I would save my $ for I really want later than make a compromise purchase now. My 2 cents of opinion for what it is worth. As for me, I am saving up for a purchase of the 150-450 sometime up the road.
07-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
. . . By the way you already have my real dream lens, the 150-450 which is way out of my budget, and you have 50-200 which cover any 200-300mm telephoto needs. If you can hold off for a while I would save my $ for I really want later than make a compromise purchase now. My 2 cents of opinion for what it is worth. As for me, I am saving up for a purchase of the 150-450 sometime up the road.

I hope you have the same combination of luck I had:

a significant birthday

+ the opportunity to purchase an almost new lens at a good price that you are able to then reduce by negotiation.

and a spouse who says go ahead and buy it
07-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I hope you have the same combination of luck I had:

a significant birthday
Yes, in December I have a milestone birthday, the one that makes me medicare eligible and raring for retirement.

+ the opportunity to purchase an almost new lens at a good price that you are able to then reduce by negotiation.
Maybe or maybe not, but I am scrimping and saving for a good used or maybe a black Friday deal.

and a spouse who says go ahead and buy it
We'll see on that one when the time comes. Especially if I get an end of year spiff from work.

Happy 4th!
07-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Just an marginally related note related to the 55-300: I was perusing them on ebay and came across a DA 55-300, not the DAL and not the WR, for $99 shipped. It seemed in great shape. On the negative side, it was missing the hood and front lens cap, but I figured I couldn't wrong at that price. Pentax sells the hood for $60, but there are clones on ebay for $2. I'm not sure about their quality, but they're probably better than cardboard. So super cheap DAs are out there if you keep your eyes open.
07-07-2017, 03:41 AM   #29
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok I just obtained a used SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED assembled in Viet Nam with end caps and hood

from KEH - Used Cameras & Photography Equipment Store | Buy & Sell on KEH Camera | KEH Camera

described by them as BGN.

I have 14 days to try it out and return without question. After that, it is mine

it isn't what KEH claimed = BGN (Bargain) " 70 - 79 % of original condition . . . " but appears to be more like BNG I see no external wear at all on the exterior nor nothing on the external glass

will have to pick up some of the SMU before I post pictures

any suggestions on specific ways to check it out in the next 10- days or so other than to go out and start using it?

[ don't think I should just walk into my local Brick and Mortar camera shop and ask their opinion even though they don't carry Pentax, they do try to sell the rare ones they get in the store ]

My suggestions to you were based on the fact that I have, or had the various versions of this lens. I was giving my impressions of the versions, not making any references to your budget. . . . .

no offense taken, I hope my response to you was received in the same matter [ some times communicating via posts can lead to misunderstandings ]

I appreciate your " . . . 2 cents of opinion . . . " and such opinions are helpful to me and I hope to others who read this thread. I am seeking such knowledgeable opinions and these forums is a great supply of such info IMHO

budgeting and waiting is often the best option however it doesn't really occur for me when I have " money burning a hole in my pocket " and am trying to spend the money I received as a refund before the " little grey cells " (as

Hercule Poirot would say ) kick in and I decide to save the $

http://www.agathachristie.com/characters/hercule-poirot

isn't that what GAS really means?

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-07-2017 at 03:59 AM.
07-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #30
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
the item in question:

my experienced but new to me

SMC Pentax-DA L 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED

physical size shown by the new SMU

sorry about the camera shake but you get the idea
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF