Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,805
seeking advice for Gear Acquistion Syndrome

ok, I've caught GAS. I use a K 3 and a K 5 II. I am considering the purchase of a used Pentax 55-300mm F/4-5.8 SMC DAL ED K Mount Autofocus Lens For APS-C Sensor to replace a Tamron 70 - 300 mm macro zoom

I am trying to determine if there is any reason to replace any of my lenses, some of which I have a legacy *, some I got as part of a camera body purchase ** and the rest of the equipment I have gotten because of what I perceive to be their own merits:

the ones I have:

Tamron 4-5.6 70 -300 macro zoom ld [1:2] af 62 f
_________________________
Vivitar Series 1 3.5 200 mm prime af in lens 67 f (Cosina) *

Vivitar Series 1 2.8-3.8 1:28 - 105 mm macro zoom mf 67 f (Cosina) *

Vivitar Series 1 2.8-4.0 70 - 210 mm macro zoom [1:25] mf 62 f (ver. 3, Kosine) *
_____________

HD Pentax DA 3.5-5.6 16 - 85 mm wr zoom 72 f

smc Pentax dal 3.5-5.6 18-55mm zoom wr 52 f **

smc Pentax da 3.5-5.6 18-55 mm al zoom 52 f **

SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 XS

smc Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm prime 52 f

smc Pentax-D FA 2.8 100 mm macro prime 49 f

smc Pentax dal 4-5.6 50-200mm wr ed zoom 49 f

HD Pentax-D FA 4.5 - 5.6 150-450mm ED DC AW 86 f
___________________________
HD Pentax -DA af rear converter 1.4 AW

Pentax AF160FC Ring Flash

Metz 52 AF-1 digital flash

Pentax O-GPS1
_____________________________


Manfrrotto 679B/NK11 Monopod

Joby Gorilla Pod + Ball Head

Joby Ball X JB00157 ball Head

Benro Go Travel 1 GA168T Tripod

I am seeking advice, suggestions and even contributions to a purchase fund ( hey, it doesn't hurt to ask, does it)

if anyone is interested in buying or trading for the lenses in category * or **, please send me a pm

07-01-2017, 07:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,307
If you are going for a used 55-300 you should probably go for the next model up, which has weather resistance.

You have two iterations of the 18-55, one of which is WR and the other is not. Unless the copy variation is such that there is a clear advantage to the non-WR copy, get rid of that one.

I don't know how much bigger the 16-85 is than the 18-55's because I don't own one, but because it overlaps both in focal length and is WR and supposed to be significantly better than the 18-55, you might consider getting rid of BOTH 18-55's (unless you have reasons - such as two photographers working together - for keeping one).

With the 55-300 in hand, a similar decision would then have to be made in regard to the 50-200.
07-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,805
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
If you are going for a used 55-300 you should probably go for the next model up, which has weather resistance.

You have two iterations of the 18-55, one of which is WR and the other is not. Unless the copy variation is such that there is a clear advantage to the non-WR copy, get rid of that one.

I don't know how much bigger the 16-85 is than the 18-55's because I don't own one, but because it overlaps both in focal length and is WR and supposed to be significantly better than the 18-55, you might consider getting rid of BOTH 18-55's (unless you have reasons - such as two photographers working together - for keeping one).

With the 55-300 in hand, a similar decision would then have to be made in regard to the 50-200.
I am interested in the used 55 -300 because of the purchase price

I am aware there is a newer better and higher priced 55 - 300

I am not sure how much of an improvement there would be with the used 55 - 300 over the tamron

what do you think?

I am aware of the overlapping nature of some of the lenses but I have no idea how to value them for any sale price
07-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,393
Sounds to me like you've got the zoom telephoto range pretty well covered with the series 1 70-210, DA 50-200, AND the DFA 150-450 in addition to the 70-300. Buying the 55-300 is definitely a pure case of GAS imo.

I'd honestly sell everything but the primes, the 16-85, and the 150-450. Maybe pick up a 70-200 f2.8 or the DA*50-135 for a faster mid range option to couple with the 1.4x.

07-01-2017, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,704
How to cure GAS: buy the best lenses first, then you will not need to buy other lenses.
07-01-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Michigan
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 411
As pointed out earlier, you might as well sell the inferior lens whenever you have redundant / overlapping lenses. It seems like I'm always shopping for gear even though my current collection is pretty comprehensive. However, I do attempt to upgrade whenever I can. This should result in the selling of a prior lens and it usually does. Another rule of thumb is to sell anything I don't use for a whole year, and have no definitive plans to use. Then the proceeds from the sales can go toward future upgrades. I'm actually not sure which is my primary hobby, photography or buying and selling photo equipment.
07-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian
jddwoods's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Newark, Delaware
Posts: 914
If you want the 55-300 used, you would be better with newer version which has a few advantages:
1. Comes with a hood
2. Metal lens mount which may be an advantage with a longer heavier lens like this.
3, Most important; quick shift focus. This helps a lot with a slow, noisy focusing lens.
I have a copy of the latest HD version but hardly use it since I got the PLM version. I do not think I would want this lens without quick shift which cuts down autofocus noise and slowness considerably.
07-01-2017, 02:10 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,805
Original Poster
I want to thank all for the opinions offered

QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
When compared with the Tamron, the Pentax Da-L should be sharper have better contrast and lighter/smaller. I used to have a Sigma 70-300 which is at the same level as the Tamron and my Pentax Da-l is better. {
I appreciate your opinion on swapping the Tamron with the used Pentax DAL

________________________________

some thing to consider

not all of us can afford the best all the time

for example

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
If you want the 55-300 used, you would be better with newer version which has a few advantages:
1. Comes with a hood
2. Metal lens mount which may be an advantage with a longer heavier lens like this.
3, Most important; quick shift focus. This helps a lot with a slow, noisy focusing lens.
I have a copy of the latest HD version but hardly use it since I got the PLM version. I do not think I would want this lens without quick shift which cuts down autofocus noise and slowness considerably.
yes

HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Reviews - DA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

is the best available but the difference in cost between that one, even used, and what I am considering is quite a lot and is beyond my budget

________________________________

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
How to cure GAS: buy the best lenses first, then you will not need to buy other lenses.
true, true but you have to have the $$ available to do that otherwise you make compromises

____________________________

QuoteOriginally posted by dave2k Quote
As pointed out earlier, you might as well sell the inferior lens whenever you have redundant / overlapping lenses. . . .
from what I can tell, if I sell all of the vintage lenses and inferior lenses, the amount I could raise would not be very much at all


Last edited by aslyfox; 07-01-2017 at 02:21 PM.
07-01-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,307
I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't recommending the PLM version but the next model up from the DA L version; that being said, if you've found a DA L going for a song and you're prepared to forego quickshift and WR, who are we to stop you?
07-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,805
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't recommending the PLM version but the next model up from the DA L version; that being said, if you've found a DA L going for a song and you're prepared to forego quickshift and WR, who are we to stop you?
one of the problems with buying used equipment is that you take what is on the market at a price within your budget

[ my budget is set at an amount equal to the refund I got for cancelling an MLB.TV subscription, so it isn't large at all ]
07-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 92
I haven't used the Tamron, but there are various test of it available online. If you have the older screw drive version, then take a look at photozone.de. They've tested both the older Tamron and the DA 55-300. The Tamron was a little sharper overall and has better macro. The DA is more compact. If you have the newer version of the Tamron then it has a faster and quieter autofocus system, and is likely as sharp or sharper than the old one. The newer Tamron doesn't focus any closer than the DA. In light of those test results, I don't think you're gaining much by switching to the DAL.
I have both the 18-55 and the 16-85. The 16-85 is a much better lens. The only reason to keep an 18-55 is because it is quite a bit smaller and lighter.
07-01-2017, 04:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 326
Considering your lenses I really do not see a good reason to buy 55-300 - your 50-200 and DFA 150-450 got you covered. BTW: I have stopped to use 55-300 since I bought Sigma 150-500. However, there is something you could buy to quench your thirst for new lens - Sigma 100-300/4. Fast and optically superior, albeit hard to find.

Last edited by pentageek; 07-02-2017 at 04:44 AM. Reason: typo
07-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,372
The DA L 55-300 is better than either the 70-300 or 50-200. It is also much lighter than the 150-450. Sometimes I wish I still had mine as I would be better matched with the 18-135 on walks. BTW, you really don't have GAS, check my Camera/Lens page...

BTW 2...If you get a DA L and it doesn't have the hood, a third party hood is only a few dollars...Quick Shift is overrated, you can do the same thing by depressing the lens release button...
07-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,805
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The DA L 55-300 is better than either the 70-300 or 50-200. It is also much lighter than the 150-450. Sometimes I wish I still had mine as I would be better matched with the 18-135 on walks. BTW, you really don't have GAS, check my Camera/Lens page...

BTW 2...If you get a DA L and it doesn't have the hood, a third party hood is only a few dollars...Quick Shift is overrated, you can do the same thing by depressing the lens release button...
I just checked your profile and I see what you mean

one of the reasons I am looking at the 55 - 300 is that it, like the Tamron, is much much lighter than the big guy

the big guy has its place but - - -
07-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,737
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Sounds to me like you've got the zoom telephoto range pretty well covered with the series 1 70-210, DA 50-200, AND the DFA 150-450 in addition to the 70-300. Buying the 55-300 is definitely a pure case of GAS imo. I'd honestly sell everything but the primes, the 16-85, and the 150-450. Maybe pick up a 70-200 f2.8 or the DA*50-135 for a faster mid range option to couple with the 1.4x.
No, I disagree. Even with the 150-450, it's still worth having a light weight portable 55-300, for when lugging or using the big lens is impracticable.

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I just checked your profile and I see what you mean one of the reasons I am looking at the 55 - 300 is that it, like the Tamron, is much much lighter than the big guy the big guy has its place but - - -
Exactly.

I'm with Boriscleto. The DA-L 55-300 is a great buy. Image quality is amazing for such a cheap lens. You can sell the 50-200 and the Tamron 70-300. Can't comment on the Vivitar 70-210, but that would be a candidate to sell too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, af, bag, ball, camera, da-l, day, hd, k-1, macro, mm, pentax, pentax help, photobag, photography, post, purchase, smc, tamron, troubleshooting, update, vivitar
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets Another New Camera Syndrome. Tonytee Post Your Photos! 4 12-29-2016 07:24 AM
K-1 Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome noelpolar Pentax K-1 88 04-20-2016 02:14 PM
GAS (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) by Olivier Duong Yos Photographic Industry and Professionals 14 08-30-2013 12:05 PM
Pentax/DSLR Beginner Seeking Gear Advice lastdodobird Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 24 11-02-2007 06:01 AM
Seeking Gear Advice... Hannican Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 10-31-2007 11:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top