Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2017, 01:52 PM   #1

K-1 Self-Timer Set

As a new owner of the K-1 I am still learning.

Can someone please tell me how to get to the "Drive Mode screen" in order to set the self-timer? Or if there is more to setting the self-timer than page. 57 of the owner's manual states, I would be most interested.

Let me ask for direction starting at the "Start Up" screen (my term) as in when I first turn on the camera. Then what?

Thank you.

07-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All the drive modes are shown in the screenshots here:
Pentax K-1 Review - Drive Modes | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Not all of them are under the self-timer heading, as you can see. You'll have to do a bit of exploring

To access this page, just press the "up" directional button, or if you have the 4-way controller to control AF points by default via custom function 20, press the AF point button first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
"Up" directional button

Adam -

Thank you for taking the time to help.

Just to show you how "new" to the K-1 I am, when I press the "up directional" button the only thing that changes is the location of the focus point. The basic "start up" screen stays the same, there is no display of a "Drive Mode" screen.

Now, let me make sure I understand what you mean by the "up directional" button. On the K-1, I take that to mean the "north" button above the "OK" button. It does have very small icons that seem to indicate maybe "number of frames to be taken" and/or "timer".

Am I misunderstanding what is the "up directional" button? If I am not, I am not getting the Drive Mode screen displayed. What am I doing wrong?

Your patience is appreciated.
07-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cpoteet Quote

Am I misunderstanding what is the "up directional" button? If I am not, I am not getting the Drive Mode screen displayed. What am I doing wrong?

Your patience is appreciated.
Press the LV (Live View) button first, then the "up directional button".

07-02-2017, 03:35 PM   #5

Original Poster
Live View for Drive Mode Screen

jlstrawman -

Bingo! Thank you very much.

Now: how oh how, or where oh where did you find that little jewel of a tip? Sounds to me as if the owner's manual has an opportunity for some editing on the topic.

Thanks, again, for stepping up to help a K-1 novice. Even though I am just learning the machine, I am quite impressed with the K-1's image rendering, features and especially ergonomics.
07-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
Press the LV (Live View) button first, then the "up directional button".
Yes, ta for pointing that one out, I'd not used that approach before.

Now: how oh how, or where oh where did you find that little jewel of a tip? Sounds to me as if the owner's manual has an opportunity for some editing on the topic.
Above the up direction button on the 4 way controller is the 'Change AF Point/Card slot switch button' (you can read about it on page 9 of the manual). I just press this button to cycle between adjusting AF points and accessing the drive mode menu. When it's not set for AF point adjustment the up controller accesses the drive modes with a single press. Try pressing the 'Change AF Point/Card slot switch button' on it's own and see if the 4 way controller changes from AF point adjustment to drive mode/WB/Custom image settings/screen brightness etc.

Tas
07-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Two Ways

Tas -

Thank you, I'll give it a try. To think there is not one, but at least two ways, to accomplish the task and neither is specified in the owner's manual.

07-03-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

neither is specified in the owner's manual.
No worries mate.

The manual does mention using that button but it's an entry on pg 52, Pt 2 'Select the desired AF point.' In the table 'Available Operations' there's mention of it though it identifies the button using the switching SD cards symbol which is only relevant when you are in the preview mode and want to view images on both SD cards. I don't think it's very clear really and more confusing due to that button having multiple roles.

Anyhoo so long as you're all good to go.

Tas