Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Okay, you asked for it, you got it. Here's the gray 'fungus'. It's confined to mostly to one the side pockets although there is a slight shadow of it on the other. It feels--and even sort of smells--like rubber. It's not what I normally associate with that sort of growth.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
07-12-2017, 03:44 AM   #17

Didn't you try to harvest the stuff and smoke it???

No, i will not suggest you did this before you posted your question for advice.

I do suggest you add some petrol and fire to the bag (using a safe location, wearing goggles and having a fire-extinguisher at hand).

Send a pic of the fire!

lowlandspentax

Last edited by lowlandspentax; 07-12-2017 at 03:46 AM. Reason: choreography
07-14-2017, 01:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A suitable and lasting solution to the problem presented itself today when I was walking around in a thrift shop and found not one but two camera bags in like new condition. One was of a similar size and configuration to the infected bag. The other was a full size bag, about 20 inches wide with myriad dividers, easily capable of holding a camera body, a flash, maybe half a dozen lenses and assorted accessories. I couldn't decide between them but as the small bag was only $3 and the large bag was an even bigger bargain at $5, I just bought them both. When I got them home, I started going through the pockets of the big bag and found a couple of Pentax warranty cards, an owner's manual for a Pentax flash, a Pentax body cap and an end cap for a Pentax lens. If that's not a sign, I don 't know what is.

I'm sorry to disappoint those who were advocating gasoline and matches for the infected bag but it won't be going out in a blaze of glory. It's just too darned hot and dry outside so it'll just go out with the garbage to find a new home at the local landfill. It's a shame but you can't save everything.
07-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Okay, you asked for it, you got it. Here's the gray 'fungus'. It's confined to mostly to one the side pockets although there is a slight shadow of it on the other. It feels--and even sort of smells--like rubber. It's not what I normally associate with that sort of growth.
When you say it smells like rubber, it makes me think that, instead of fungus, it is some kind of weather resistant coating employed in the fabric...which is now breaking down. Rubbing alcohol does a good job in cleaning that sort of thing.

07-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
but it won't be going out in a blaze of glory
Sounds like we're not getting our Viking Valhalla funeral then.
07-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goatsNdonkey Quote
When you say it smells like rubber, it makes me think that, instead of fungus, it is some kind of weather resistant coating employed in the fabric...which is now breaking down. Rubbing alcohol does a good job in cleaning that sort of thing.
Yes alcohol does do a good job. I've successfully and easily cleaned the deposits off with alcohol a couple of times and they just keep coming back.
07-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes alcohol does do a good job. I've successfully and easily cleaned the deposits off with alcohol a couple of times and they just keep coming back.
If it's fungus or mold, get rid of the bag. Burning it isn't a bad idea, i'd probably dispose of it with my household trash.