Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2018, 11:41 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since the focal length is there, I would say your mac software is simply failing to recognize the lens id. It's up to the program viewing the image (not the camera) to figure out what the lens is.

If you attach a photo straight out of camera (without editing it), you should be able to see the lens name. You can also do so by uploading here:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
I also own the DA55-300PLM and work on Mac 10.11.6 - never use Apple Photos (Version 1.5) but tried it with one of my dng files for this case. Using the export function all metadata information is embedded in the jpg file. So IMO Photos (at least my version - german) or the lens ID is not the problem. The metadata of the jpg file can be viewed using Apple Preview.

04-30-2018, 12:41 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
The metadata of the jpg file can be viewed using Apple Preview.
This user is using Photos 3.0 (presumably on High Sierra) and while there is a chance that it copies only limited metadata on export, it is also possible that there may be other tools that may be at fault further upstream. @CooperPete , what is your process from camera to sharing the images here?

Steve
04-30-2018, 09:33 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the focal length is there, I would say your mac software is simply failing to recognize the lens id. It's up to the program viewing the image (not the camera) to figure out what the lens is.

If you attach a photo straight out of camera (without editing it), you should be able to see the lens name. You can also do so by uploading here:

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
Hi, All:
I check my photo use the link Adam suggested, "check the camera shutter count and manufacture date", all info including lens info is listed (see screen shot photo). My mac is "macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4, The fact is, all my other lenses including old Zeiss 135mm and Pentax M lenses registered and showed on my Mac Photo app. as much as i like this lens, I think I am going to give it up. I just bought the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR, it does have aperture ring, which i liked. Thanks to all for your generous Help. i learned quite bit. will report back.

04-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMG_6617.JPG (139.3 KB)

Attached Images

04-30-2018, 10:09 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by CooperPete Quote
Hi, All:
I check my photo use the link Adam suggested, "check the camera shutter count and manufacture date", all info including lens info is listed (see screen shot photo). My mac is "macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.4, The fact is, all my other lenses including old Zeiss 135mm and Pentax M lenses registered and showed on my Mac Photo app. as much as i like this lens, I think I am going to give it up. I just bought the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR, it does have aperture ring, which i liked. Thanks to all for your generous Help. i learned quite bit. will report back.
So, as suspected, the problem is with the photo viewer on your mac, and not with the lens. You should see if there are any updates for the software, or use a different program to extract metadata (I would recommend Adobe Bridge CC, it's completely free).

AFAIK the F4-5.8 lens doesn't have an aperture ring But it is quite a bit older, so its name should be recognized in your existing software if you decide to go down that route.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I have both the PLM and the original non-WR 55-300; neither has an aperture ring, and thereís no way Iíd give up the PLM! There seems to be no need to worry about going through a process to wake it up; with mine, if you turn the camera on before extending the lens, you get a warning message on the back screen which goes away when you unlock and extend to 55mm, and then it operates normally.

I second Adamís suggestion of using the free Adobe Bridge for routinely viewing the EXIF data, although off the top of my head, I donít think that it gives shutter count (not currently at my computer.)
05-01-2018, 08:50 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CooperPete Quote
Hi, All:
I just bought the HD Pentax DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED WR, it does have aperture ring, which i liked.

I think you are mistaking the focus ring for an aperture ring. The focus ring is where the aperture ring is on some lens. The lens has "quick shift which" allows you to manually focus the lens easily. The aperture is electronically controlled.

Larry

Last edited by Larrymc; 05-01-2018 at 10:23 AM. Reason: more info
05-01-2018, 01:15 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, as suspected, the problem is with the photo viewer on your mac, and not with the lens. You should see if there are any updates for the software, or use a different program to extract metadata (I would recommend Adobe Bridge CC, it's completely free).

AFAIK the F4-5.8 lens doesn't have an aperture ring But it is quite a bit older, so its name should be recognized in your existing software if you decide to go down that route.
U are right, i am completely new to the DSLR world, I probably did confused these two, It is the focus ring im talking about. I am so thankful to all your kind help.
Thanks to all.