Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Trouble with KP and HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE

Hello,
last week I have got a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE for my KP.
I have attached it to my camera, I have unblocked the lens, turned it on the camera and nothing: it doesn't focus, nor AF, nor manually.
I have sent it back to the seller - let me put it clear: a highly reliable seller, one of the best - today they have got it back, they have tested it and the lens works.
Any idea what could be the problem?
Is it unavoidable to send my KP to service?
Is it normal that when I attached the lens to the KP it did not focus manually?
Thanks to everyone coming up with a useful suggestion.
I am between a rock and a hard place: if I send the camera to service I guess I will be without my KP until September, if I don't send it I have to renounce to the PLM zoom and buy a screw-drive telephoto lens.

07-06-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by talgarik Quote
How long have you owned the camera? If less than 60-90 days, your dealer may be your best resource for a full replacement. Have you discussed this issue with Ricoh support?

Your lens is "focus-by-wire" for both AF and manual focus. It does not surprise me that neither are working if the AF is dead. It pains me to ask, but is the lens extended? As a retractable lens, it will not work unless it is extended. Aside from AF not working, is the lens operational on the camera (aperture visible in viewfinder and LCD display...no error messages displayed)?

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-06-2017 at 02:01 PM.
07-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How long have you owned the camera? If less than 60-90 days, your dealer may be your best resource for a full replacement. Have you discussed this issue with Ricoh support?

Your lens is "focus-by-wire" for both AF and manual focus. It does not surprise me that neither are working. It pains me to ask, but is the lens extended? As a retractable lens, it will not work unless it is extended.

Steve
My camera has two weeks, tomorrow I will contact the dealer.
A replacement would be the ideal solution of course.
Alas I have extended the lens...
07-06-2017, 02:02 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My camera has two weeks, tomorrow I will contact the dealer.
A replacement would be the ideal solution of course.
Alas I have extended the lens...
Does the lens work on your K-3?

Steve

07-06-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hello,
last week I have got a brand new HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE for my KP.
I have attached it to my camera, I have unblocked the lens, turned it on the camera and nothing: it doesn't focus, nor AF, nor manually.
I have sent it back to the seller - let me put it clear: a highly reliable seller, one of the best - today they have got it back, they have tested it and the lens works.
Any idea what could be the problem?
Thanks to everyone coming up with a useful suggestion.
I am between a rock and a hard place: if I send the camera to service I guess I will be without my KP until September, if I don't send it I have to renounce to the PLM zoom and buy a screw-drive telephoto lens.
If the lens can't focus at all, either it isn't fully extended (most likely cause), the extension contacts are broken (ruled out), or your camera's power contacts are either defective or pushed in.

Are other DC/SDM lenses able to AF on your camera?

When testing with your K-3, make sure you update the firmware.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2017, 02:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Does the lens work on your K-3?

Steve
I need to update my profile, I don't own a K3 anymore
Any idea what the issue could be?
I am waiting for the delivery of the 60-250mm and my nightmare is that it will not work, in that case replacement or camera service would be unavoidable.
Buying two telephoto zooms to find yourself without a camera
07-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
your camera's power contacts are either defective or pushed in.
My thoughts as well, though hard to confirm without another lens that uses them.

Any idea what the issue could be?
What lenses have you used on your KP? Does it work with any other lenses?

Steve

07-06-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
15mm, 20-40mm limited and 100mm WR work flawlessly.

As for the contacts, after reading Adam's message I have looked at them and one of the contacts seems to be pushed in, for certain it is not in line with all the others.
07-06-2017, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

As for the contacts, after reading Adam's message I have looked at them and one of the contacts seems to be pushed in, for certain it is not in line with all the others.
Be sure you are looking at the power contacts. Those are not on the mount face, but are actually at the bottom margin of the mirror box and at a corresponding position on the lens. In the diagram below, they are labeled "power zoom power contacts"

Image lifted from Dimitrov's K-Mount page: Features and Operation of the Kaf2 Mount

Steve
07-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much Steve.
So the power contacts look fine, they are not pushed in, the remaining option is that they are defective, correct?
I cannot solve the problem but it is good to know what is going on, thank you so much!
07-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you very much Steve.
So the power contacts look fine, they are not pushed in, the remaining option is that they are defective, correct?
I cannot solve the problem but it is good to know what is going on, thank you so much!
If your DA 20-40/2.8-4 Limited works, the power on the body is fine.

Steve
07-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Steve
Yup. Have you tried extending the 55-300mm all the way to 300mm and testing it there?

Remember that the AF is super fast, almost inaudible, and that MF is by wire and equally hard to hear.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster

Steve
I confirm it works.
What else could it be then?

---------- Post added 07-06-17 at 03:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup. Have you tried extending the 55-300mm all the way to 300mm and testing it there?

Remember that the AF is super fast, almost inaudible, and that MF is by wire and equally hard to hear.
I have tried everything, even cleaning the contacts, but to no avail.
Even if AF is almost inaudible, an out of focus image in the viewfinder and no reaction when you try to focus it is a clear signal that it is not working, or not?
There was some kind of communication between camera and lens since the aperture could be set.
07-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #14

Was there a firmware upgrade to the KP that allowed it to work with the newest version of the 55-300? If not, did you get the right 55-300? I thought the KP was too old to work with the new 55-300 lens.
07-06-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kchamber4 Quote
KP was too old to work with the new 55-300 lens.
I have been following this thread out of interest ... how could the KP be "too old" to work with the "new" PLM 55-300 lens?