Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Issues with my Pentax K-1, D-BG6 Battery Grip Let me know if yours is like mine?

The first grip I received from B&H, the K1 connector gasket fit snuggly into the slot within the grip. However there was another issue with either the camera or the grip causing me to have to pull the battery multiple times in order to reset the unusable K1. Well I finally got a body that works but I am on my 4 th grip that has a weird issue. The black sealing gasket on the base of my K-1 doesn't seat firmly in the allotted slot of the grip. Either B&H keeps sending me the Grip i return to them or this is a defect. I even had Ricoh send me another gasket to see if that was the issue and both of them fail to fit securely. I have always had a grip with my camera but I am scared if i use the grip in the field, that i will misplace the sealing gasket. I am talking about the black one not the white clear one that comes with the grip.

Does everyone that own a K1 and a BG6 Grip have the same issue or do I need a 5th grip. If so how can I insure B&H isn't just sending me back the one I sent them?

Help please!

07-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

Do you have a photo of the grip and the attempted fitting of the black rubber cover into it? I don't have the K-1 or grip, but I do have the K-3II, K-3, K-5 and Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) all with grips, and I've always found fitting the little rubber cover to require careful alignment and a good push. I don't doubt what you're reporting, but I do find it hard to believe something this fundamental would be missed by Ricoh - so, with respect, I have to consider that user error might be the problem Are you sure you're aligning the cover properly in the space provided? Again, a photo would help
07-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hi

Do you have a photo of the grip and the attempted fitting of the black rubber cover into it? I don't have the K-1 or grip, but I do have the K-3II, K-3, K-5 and Samsung GX-10 (K10D clone) all with grips, and I've always found fitting the little rubber cover to require careful alignment and a good push. I don't doubt what you're reporting, but I do find it hard to believe something this fundamental would be missed by Ricoh - so, with respect, I have to consider that user error might be the problem Are you sure you're aligning the cover properly in the space provided? Again, a photo would help

I am a seasoned Pentaxian and have never had an issue before. I have tried every way and it fits in the slot, however it is never snuggly seated. If turned upside down and tapped it falls right out.

No user error here. Again the first grip didn't have this issue but the last 3 did.
07-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kraigg007 Quote
The first grip I received from B&H, the K1 connector gasket fit snuggly into the slot within the grip. However there was another issue with either the camera or the grip causing me to have to pull the battery multiple times in order to reset the unusable K1. Well I finally got a body that works but I am on my 4 th grip that has a weird issue. The black sealing gasket on the base of my K-1 doesn't seat firmly in the allotted slot of the grip. Either B&H keeps sending me the Grip i return to them or this is a defect. I even had Ricoh send me another gasket to see if that was the issue and both of them fail to fit securely. I have always had a grip with my camera but I am scared if i use the grip in the field, that i will misplace the sealing gasket. I am talking about the black one not the white clear one that comes with the grip.

Does everyone that own a K1 and a BG6 Grip have the same issue or do I need a 5th grip. If so how can I insure B&H isn't just sending me back the one I sent them?

Help please!
I've not had the issues you've mentioned and it's the first time I've heard it mentioned. I've attached a photo showing the connector and it's gasket, hopefully yours has an obvious difference to explain the issue. If you intend a fifth attempt on a grip I'd suggest using a white marker pen to place a dot on a plastic surface inside the grip to know if the same one has come back. I'd also utilise the assistance contact thread for B&H in the forums.

Good luck, I hope you get this resolved soon.

Tas

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would suggest ordering one from Amazon or Adorama instead, that way you know for sure you are not getting the same one again.
07-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I would suggest ordering one from Amazon or Adorama instead, that way you know for sure you are not getting the same one again.
I would if it wasn't part of a free gift offer. I wouldn't feel right ordering one from Amazon or Adoroma and returning this defective one.

Also BigMackCam, no difference. Mine looks exactly like your unit with the exception of my the black gasket in the front slot just doesn't fit firmly or snuggly. It looks exactly like yours but yours isn't loose and easily falls out.
07-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Also BigMackCam, no difference. Mine looks exactly like your unit with the exception of my the black gasket in the front slot just doesn't fit firmly or snuggly. It looks exactly like yours but yours isn't loose and easily falls out.
That was Tas who posted a photo of his grip, but glad you've confirmed there's no difference.

It's worth considering that it could be the rubber cover piece that has a variance in manufacture, rather than the grip. I know it seats properly in your camera, but it could be that there's a slight difference in the thickness of the rubber. That seems possible, given that you've had several grips now, all with the same problem.

07-07-2017, 07:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help please!
My D-BG6 arrived about 10 days ago and both the seal and the cover sit snugly in the grip, and stay seated even when I shake the grip.

Last edited by TomTom; 07-07-2017 at 03:05 PM.
07-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That was Tas who posted a photo of his grip, but glad you've confirmed there's no difference.

It's worth considering that it could be the rubber cover piece that has a variance in manufacture, rather than the grip. I know it seats properly in your camera, but it could be that there's a slight difference in the thickness of the rubber. That seems possible, given that you've had several grips now, all with the same problem.
Yes. that is why I got another rubber stopper from Ricoh and neither of them fit firmly in the grip, but both fit securely on my K1.

It is the Grip that is the problem.
07-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes. that is why I got another rubber stopper from Ricoh and neither of them fit firmly in the grip, but both fit securely on my K1.

It is the Grip that is the problem.
Can you post a photo so we can see what you are? The feedback will be more useful if we can be shown how it's not fitting correctly.
07-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Can you post a photo so we can see what you are? The feedback will be more useful if we can be shown how it's not fitting correctly.
Here it is. Not much you can tell from the photo.
Attached Images

07-07-2017, 05:11 PM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here it is. Not much you can tell from the photo.
You're right not much can be seen there, I know what my grip looks like when fitted to the camera can you add a pic with the grip on the camera and point out the aspect that lets you know it's not fitting correctly?

Tas
07-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
You're right not much can be seen there, I know what my grip looks like when fitted to the camera can you add a pic with the grip on the camera and point out the aspect that lets you know it's not fitting correctly?

Tas
There is no aspect that shows it isn't fitting correctly. It fits, it just isn't snug or fully secure, Flipped over it will fall out due to the motion of the flip. None of my other grips were this loose fitting.
07-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #14
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no aspect that shows it isn't fitting correctly. It fits, it just isn't snug or fully secure, Flipped over it will fall out due to the motion of the flip. None of my other grips were this loose fitting.
That sounds like the locking screw isn't working correctly. I often carry mine by the battery grip with a lens fitted, and that could be my heavier Zeiss lenses or the 15-30. I use a hand strap so to relieve the hand I change my hold and carry by the grip for a wee bit before returning to the normal grip position. If you're not able to do that and the battery grip will disconnect from the camera then surely there's got to be a problem with the locking screw or the threaded section in the camera?
07-08-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I understand correctly, you are concerned that you will lose the rubber plug that covers the contacts on the camera when it is stored in the grip but the grip is not attached to the camera due to the plug fitting loosely in the storage slot of the grip. I don't understand your concern since you should be placing the plug in the camera as soon as you remove the grip. It can't fall out when the grip is attached as it is sandwiched between the camera and the grip.
BTW, I rarely remove the grip on my K-3. I set the battery in the grip as primary and swap with a spare & charge it. The battery in the camera rarely needs charging although I do swap it occasionally to even out usage on the batteries.

Last edited by davidreilly3207; 07-08-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Add