Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #1

My Aperture looks weird stopped down help!

Just purchased a pentax 67 with a SMC takumar 1-5 f 2.4. Camera works great but the lens has a weird aperture issue I havent seen before.

When I stop down to f 16, 22 the aperture goes from totally symmetrical to more rectangular. Other than changing the bokeh circles can this do anything to affect picutres.

Thanks so much!

07-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
sounds like you could be missing blade(s) or some are stuck. Got any pics?
07-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
sounds like you could be missing blade(s) or some are stuck. Got any pics?
Here are two pictures. Im sure all the blades are there. Just looks weird when its stopped down.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6 Plus  Photo 
07-07-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's not uncommon, especially in older lenses. Manufacturing variations, wear, and dirt on the blades can cause them to close a little lop-sided like that.

It can affect the shape of the bokeh and uniformity of the starbursts but won't affect sharpness, contrast, or other overall image quality.

07-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepler Quote
Here are two pictures. Im sure all the blades are there. Just looks weird when its stopped down.
oh, that's not too uncommon, just slight misalignment of one or two blades as the aperture closes. You may like the bokeh better this way, lol.
07-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
It's not uncommon, especially in older lenses. Manufacturing variations, wear, and dirt on the blades can cause them to close a little lop-sided like that.

It can affect the shape of the bokeh and uniformity of the starbursts but won't affect sharpness, contrast, or other overall image quality.
Thanks for the info! Im not too concerned with bokeh, starbursts. Just want the lens to function properly and the meter to be accurate
07-07-2017, 06:55 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think both are normal- certainly nothing wrong with the almost wide open aperture. The narrow one definitely looks asymmetric, but I've seen this on many of my old lenses too.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: