Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2017, 08:12 AM   #1

Film loading very Stiff on pentax 6x7? Normal?

Hey Guys,

I hope this is my last question about my new "old" pentax 6x7.

When I load film into it I find it very hard to bring the film across. Once I put the tab in the right spool I additionally find it hard to get it going. If I dont help it along a little the film never catches securely enough to take.

To be more clear: is it normal when loading a pentax 6x7 to struggle taking the film from the left spool to the right? Ive only used a bronica etr system and this is new to me.

Once the film is loaded the camera seems to be fine. I just dont want to break anything etc.

Thanks for your help

07-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming the film is loaded properly and the film retainer spool knobs are locked on both sides, here is what I do:

1) Pull the film straight up so you have enough to fit into the empty spool.
2) Use the film advance lever to position an empty slot on the spool to face up and insert the film leader into the spool.
3) Make sure the film is aligned with the spool sides and gently press down the film while you advance the film wind lever slowly to the end position.
4) Keep guiding the film as you repeat the above until arrows on the film hit the 120 mark on the top of the camera.
5) Gently close the camera back and make sure it is locked.
6) Keep advancing the film until the shutter is cocked and the film counter hits 1.

Here is a link to film loading in the 67 manual (page 15 to 19, which explains it better than the 6x7 manual:

Pentax 67 Manual

Phil.
07-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Assuming the film is loaded properly and the film retainer spool knobs are locked on both sides, here is what I do:

1) Pull the film straight up so you have enough to fit into the empty spool.
2) Use the film advance lever to position an empty slot on the spool to face up and insert the film leader into the spool.
3) Make sure the film is aligned with the spool sides and gently press down the film while you advance the film wind lever slowly to the end position.
4) Keep guiding the film as you repeat the above until arrows on the film hit the 120 mark on the top of the camera.
5) Gently close the camera back and make sure it is locked.
6) Keep advancing the film until the shutter is cocked and the film counter hits 1.

Here is a link to film loading in the 67 manual (page 15 to 19, which explains it better than the 6x7 manual:

Pentax 67 Manual

Phil.

Hey Phil,

thanks for the tips. when you pull the film straight up do you find it hard/stiff? I am used to bronica and its always very smooth. I just want to know if the camera is either not functioning properly or if this is nromal.
07-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepler Quote
Hey Phil,

thanks for the tips. when you pull the film straight up do you find it hard/stiff? I am used to bronica and its always very smooth. I just want to know if the camera is either not functioning properly or if this is nromal.
There is a little resistance, but nothing major. The only issue I have had is when the film spool is not seated properly and the spool locking lever on the bottom of the camera is not engaged.

As long as the film is loading properly and you can finish shooting a roll of film with no issues and the film is properly spaced when developed, I would not worry about it.

Phil.