Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2017, 02:23 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Batteries in K200D and BG-3 battery grip

Okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but like I always tell my students, the only truly dumb questions are the ones that go unasked so here goes:

I know darned well not to mix batteries within a device (e.g., old and new, alkaline and NiMH, etc.) but what about in devices attached to one another? Here's the scenario. I picked up a nice K200D with a DA 18-55 II lens in their original boxes for a ridiculously cheap price last week and it even came with a relatively fresh (showing a full charge on the camera's battery meter) set of single-use Energizer Lithium batteries installed. I totally didn't need another camera but like I said, the price was really cheap so I pulled the trigger and then to complement my superfluous purchase (What time is that cameraholics anonymous meeting tonight?), I bought a BG-3 battery grip, which arrived today with no batteries, not that I was expecting any, so I slapped a fully charged set of Eneloops into it to try it out and it works great. I feel pretty safe in assuming there shouldn't be a problem with the two types of batteries in the two devices (Eneloops in the battery grip and Energizer Lithiums in the camera), even though they're attached to one another. I presently have the camera set to 'auto' so it can choose which power source to draw from. I'm assuming it draws from one source or the other and not both simultaneously. Or would I be safer in this scenario to choose, say, 'grip first' so that it draws from the battery grip when it's attached and then switches to the internal batteries when it's not? I guess I could always play it safer by pulling the Lithiums out of the camera and putting Eneloops in. As always, your input is appreciated.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I really like the camera so far, for what it is.

07-11-2017, 12:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The power will always be drawn from that battery, which has the highest voltage during power up - that means both will be empty at the same time. Batterie check is only during power on, when on battery set gets empty during action there is no automatic switch to the other. You have to power down and up again.

I typically have it set to grip first, because these are easier to change, the internal is something like a backup, when the grip get's empty.
07-11-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No worries. The camera only draws power from one source at a time. As joergens.mi stated the camera will draw from the source with the most power when turned on. When travelling ( depending on the destination) I may have a D-LI90 in camera and Energerizer AA's in the grip. There has never been an issue.
07-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. That's good to know.

07-11-2017, 11:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cameraholics Meeting

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but like I always tell my students, the only truly dumb questions are the ones that go unasked so here goes:

I know darned well not to mix batteries within a device (e.g., old and new, alkaline and NiMH, etc.) but what about in devices attached to one another? Here's the scenario. I picked up a nice K200D with a DA 18-55 II lens in their original boxes for a ridiculously cheap price last week and it even came with a relatively fresh (showing a full charge on the camera's battery meter) set of single-use Energizer Lithium batteries installed. I totally didn't need another camera but like I said, the price was really cheap so I pulled the trigger and then to complement my superfluous purchase (What time is that cameraholics anonymous meeting tonight?), I bought a BG-3 battery grip, which arrived today with no batteries, not that I was expecting any, so I slapped a fully charged set of Eneloops into it to try it out and it works great. I feel pretty safe in assuming there shouldn't be a problem with the two types of batteries in the two devices (Eneloops in the battery grip and Energizer Lithiums in the camera), even though they're attached to one another. I presently have the camera set to 'auto' so it can choose which power source to draw from. I'm assuming it draws from one source or the other and not both simultaneously. Or would I be safer in this scenario to choose, say, 'grip first' so that it draws from the battery grip when it's attached and then switches to the internal batteries when it's not? I guess I could always play it safer by pulling the Lithiums out of the camera and putting Eneloops in. As always, your input is appreciated.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I really like the camera so far, for what it is.
Hi,

The Cameraholics meeting here in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia is the first Friday of the month.
Just Google Cameraholics for our web site.

Regards.

Last edited by gordon_l34; 07-11-2017 at 11:15 PM. Reason: More Information.