Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-12-2017, 03:28 AM   #1

K3 focus issues

Have just got my first ever dslr - a s/h K3 but, in spite of following recommended settings, the pics are worse than my mobile. I've used normal SLRs for over 30 years (split ring focus usually) and am hoping to use my old lenses as well as the DA that came with the camera. I suspect I am doing something basic wrong that will be glaringly obvious to those used to dslr.

Just cropped to 1400 x 900 but pics are otherwise untouched

---------- Post added 07-12-17 at 03:31 AM ----------

ps - apart from M & green screen, I have no idea what the other settings on the dial are for & I can't find a menu in the manual

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
07-12-2017, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Froth, you may have a couple of things going on there. If you are using the middle ( spot ) focus point, that has a sensitivity of f2.8, so a f5.6 lens might not focus accurately unless it is a brighter subject. Also, is there any lag time between achieving focus and taking the photograph? I ask this because once focus is locked by half pressing the shutter button, any movement by your camera before taking the image means that the focus point would have moved. When I got my K-3 coming from a K20D, flaws in my technique were highlighted. With practice, my keeper rate has improved. Hope this is of help. Good luck.
07-12-2017, 04:15 AM   #3

Original Poster
Just tried with a tripod & its the same thing though there is a slight lag - will have a go outside in a bit & see if it makes a difference. It's frustrating, especially as I use a Nikon dslr of lesser spec but same age at work & is better in low light
07-12-2017, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
If you are having issues with focus when using a tripod, your camera/lens combo might need AF adjusting. Here is a link for you to check. Good luck.

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

07-12-2017, 04:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Do you use autoISO? Programm mode? I suspect that in the third picture ISO is quite high. First and second pictures - object is in focus, but even using flash that pictures are underexposed.
What format do you shoot? JPG? If yes, try to chech the JPG quality.
I have four pentax dslr cameras and had no issues in standard focusing situations. Starting from k-5ii focusing is improved from -1 to -3 eV.
07-12-2017, 06:04 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

On the third one, ISO is set at 3200, which isn't the best if you're looking for fine details.

QuoteOriginally posted by Froth Ninja Quote
Just cropped to 1400 x 900 but pics are otherwise untouche
Are they cropped or you rather mean resized ? If they really are cropped, it means the spider might have been too small a target for the AF to work properly...

The first two also look underexposed, are you sure no negative exposure compensation or flash exposure compensation was set ? No matter what, the mostly white background with highlights should results in an underexposed picture and positive flash exposure compensation should be applied.

The lens was used at its longest focal length and largest aperture, which is about the worst combination for sharpness on any lens, and particularly on entry level zoom like the 18-55. Try stopping down to F/8 or F/11 and things should look sharper.

ps - apart from M & green screen, I have no idea what the other settings on the dial are for & I can't find a menu in the manual
Green - Auto everything
P - Autoexposure
Av - Aperture Pritority, you set the aperture and the camera adjusts the speed and ISO
Tv - Shutter Priority, you set the shutter speed and the camera adjusts the aperture and ISO
TAv - Aperture/Shutter priority, you set both aperture and shutter speed and the camera adjusts the ISO
X - Flash sync, shutter speed is set to 1/180.

So, if you want to force the camera to use an aperture of F/8 to get a good sharpness, you can set it in Av mode and select F/8 with the dial.
07-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Cropped not resized
Will try the suggestions.
Thanks also for the dial menu

07-12-2017, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have just got my first ever dslr - a s/h K3 but, in spite of following recommended settings, the pics are worse than my mobile. I've used normal SLRs for over 30 years (split ring focus usually) and am hoping to use my old lenses as well as the DA that came with the camera. I suspect I am doing something basic wrong that will be glaringly obvious to those used to dslr.

Just cropped to 1400 x 900 but pics are otherwise untouched

---------- Post added 07-12-17 at 03:31 AM ----------

A condition like you are shooting in can be problematic if you are in-experienced with the K3.

According to the metadata Maker Notes the focus point that was in focus was the upper middle and you were in Focus mode AF-A which lets the camera basically decide what is in focus. I assume you wanted the spider in focus and had it centered in the viewfinder. Push the AF Mode button which is just above the AF/MF lever on the left side of the body in the lens mount area. When pushing the button look at the back screen and the AF box in the left middle of the screen will prompt you to use the front E-Dial to select the mode you should use for stationary targets which is AF.S. Also turn off face detection if its on. Read the manual regarding moving the focus points. There is a button on the lower right of the rear body that selects what the multipurpose buttons on the rear of the body can do. In one mode you can select between drive modes, White Balance, Flash and shooting parameter setting; the other mode which you probably should be in most of the time allows you to select the focus point. If the focus point is not centered then push the OK button to re-center the focus point and stay there till you figure out what everything does. Pages 16-24 of the manual thoroughly explains the menus and function buttons.

BTW, how close were you to the spider? All the data indicates you were pretty close.

Last edited by Larrymc; 07-12-2017 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more info
07-12-2017, 11:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
According to the metadata Maker Notes...
Good idea to look at the detailed exif data!

By looking at them, I've also noticed that SR was "on" (which is OK) but that stabilization wasn't achieved. I guess the OP was too quick on the shutter and if the SR was working but not ready, this could result in a blurry picture.

So, my question to the OP: did you wait for the "green hand" to appear in the viewfinder before pressing the shutter ? This hand indicates that SR has stabilized the sensor and you can take the picture. If SR is on, you must wait for the green hand to appear before fully pressing the shutter release button.

Although not related to this issue, I've also noticed that the firmware is still the original 1.00... It's probably not a luxury to update to the latest firmware (version 1.30) since many bug fixex and various improvements have been done since the release of the K-3...
07-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
I was about 60cm from the spider
Got to admit I haven't seen a green hand!
Never had to do firmware updates on a camera before - does it need to be done on bridge cameras & point and squirts?

---------- Post added 07-12-17 at 02:26 PM ----------

Just seen the green hand - makes no difference so I think it was on before
07-13-2017, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was about 60cm from the spider
Got to admit I haven't seen a green hand!
Never had to do firmware updates on a camera before - does it need to be done on bridge cameras & point and squirts?

---------- Post added 07-12-17 at 02:26 PM ----------

Just seen the green hand - makes no difference so I think it was on before
Froth, I didn't see if you mentioned what camera you have.
The way I did my update was to find it on this page (I have the K-5)
Pentax Digital Cameras and Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Once there, near the top of the page is a large grey box of info, near the end you'll see a heading called "interfacing", in it a link called latest firmware. Click it. All you need to upgrade is there. The download links, and all of what to do.
07-14-2017, 03:05 PM   #12

Original Poster
The firmware update (from Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING) just downloads an empty zip file - sorted that by downloading to pc then to sd
New prob - the camera is not reading the zip when started with menu button depressed - not sure what I am doing wrong

Last edited by Froth Ninja; 07-14-2017 at 03:18 PM.
07-14-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The firmware update (from Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING) just downloads an empty zip file - sorted that by downloading to pc then to sd
New prob - the camera is not reading the zip when started with menu button depressed - not sure what I am doing wrong
you need to unzip the files and copy only the firmware file (forgot what it is called, it usually is the largest file). Place the file on the root of an blank SD card.
07-15-2017, 02:50 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
you need to unzip the files and copy only the firmware file (forgot what it is called, it usually is the largest file). Place the file on the root of an blank SD card.
Think its loaded - said loading for about a minute then blank screen (battery was fully charged)
If complete came up it was for less than a second - is it safe to turn the camera off?
Well I tried it and its now reading 1.3 - will all the interim upgrades be on or are they superseded by 1.3??
Going out tomorrow arvo to see how things go.

Last edited by Froth Ninja; 07-15-2017 at 02:41 PM.
07-15-2017, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Think its loaded - said loading for about a minute then blank screen (battery was fully charged)
If complete came up it was for less than a second - is it safe to turn the camera off?
Yes.

I do not think the focus issue is related to any firmware. Can you do the same under good lighting or may be outside when it is bright?