Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #1

K-50 Dark Images

I have enjoyed a couple of years of wonderful photography with my K-50 camera, but all of a sudden I began getting very dark images, regardless of the use of a flash. There is a unique difference in the images that result. If the picture is taken by means of the Viewfinder the resulting image is dark. If the shot is taken through the monitor; the result is a clear, accurate picture. The camera seems to mechanically function properly. I have gone through the Operating Manual thoroughly and found no solution. Please Help! Attached is a representative dark image...one taken through the View Finder.

John4str

Attached Images
File Type: pdf IMGP3228.pdf (3.05 MB, 102 views)
07-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sounds like the beginnings of the aperture failure that the K-30/K-50 suffer from - over in the forum for the K-30/K-50, you'll find several threads regarding this issue and several potential fixes for you....

is your K-50 still under warranty, perhaps?
07-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Search this forum for "aperture block" and you will find a lot of information on an issue that might be the problem.
07-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have this issue with my K-500. I finally determined the DLI109 battery was the culprit. Even fully charged, it would no longer power the camera properly as I continually got a low battery warning. When I got the camera, I also bought an AA battery clip. Dry cells (AA) worked ok for a while and then the dark frames appeared again. I finally settled on Eneloop NiMH AA rechargeables and have no issues since. I'm sure now my issues with dry cells was due to a rogue batch.

07-14-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
By "through the monitor " you mean in live view with the back of the camera? That is a twist to the aperture block failure. Perhaps a fluke? Perhaps another means to a solution?
07-14-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
sounds like the beginnings of the aperture failure that the K-30/K-50 suffer from - over in the forum for the K-30/K-50, you'll find several threads regarding this issue and several potential fixes for you....

is your K-50 still under warranty, perhaps?
Unfortunately, the camera is not within the warranty window. Thanks for the quick responses.

John4str
07-14-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pixelsaurus Quote
I have this issue with my K-500. I finally determined the DLI109 battery was the culprit. Even fully charged, it would no longer power the camera properly as I continually got a low battery warning. When I got the camera, I also bought an AA battery clip. Dry cells (AA) worked ok for a while and then the dark frames appeared again. I finally settled on Eneloop NiMH AA rechargeables and have no issues since. I'm sure now my issues with dry cells was due to a rogue batch.
I'll try the battery solutions and see what happens. Thanks.

John4str

07-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
By "through the monitor " you mean in live view with the back of the camera? That is a twist to the aperture block failure. Perhaps a fluke? Perhaps another means to a solution?
Yes, the Live View shots come through as anticipated. At least I have that option; although I prefer the View Finder to take most shots, avoiding the glare on the monitor while shooting.

John4str