Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual lens adapter, FD to EOS problems.

I acted upon the suggestion in the Canon Forum to get an adapter to use my FD lenses on digital. I bought one and today tried it out on a recently acquired Canon Rebel XT (350D).
I checked on the net for the correct way to fit it but have not had much luck finding trouble shoots for my problem.
Having fitted my FDn 50mm F1.4 with adapter on the camera, I took a few dozen shots, stopping every few shots to examine the images and wonder what my problem was.
The lens stopped down, this confirmed when closing the adapter.
I set the camera to AV.
The camera reported I was using an 80mm lens (probably due to using my 28-80mm prior to the 50mm) and the last AV value (F8) I had used with an EOS lens.
I took a few images and the results were all over exposed to some extent, sometimes very over exposed.
I matched the AV value on the camera to the lens and tried again.
I tried changing the ISO
My suspicion is that the contacts on the adapter are confusing the camera, maybe I should remove them.
Any help here would be appreciated, my one correctly exposed image indicates that the FD lenses might produce reasonable images with this adapter in some circumstances.
Some images of the adapter and one goodish image, one bad (but not as overexposed as some!)

Last edited by Skodadriver; 12-19-2017 at 09:24 AM.
07-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #2

Don't you need to program the AF chip with the focal length and aperture range of the lens?
07-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Don't you need to program the AF chip with the focal length and aperture range of the lens?

I have not found any "enable" option in the menu like the Pentax option for using K and M42 lenses.
07-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thread will be closed now. Taping up the contacts on the adapter did the trick, they must have been confusing the camera. Something to watch out for.
Compensation is still needed but at least the overexposure is reasonably almost constant.