Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which camera should i take?
Canon eos 700d   00%
Pentax K-70 33100.00%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

You have chosen wisely.

Looking forward to seeing your shots.

07-17-2017, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saarepoiss Quote
my question is should i take Canon 700d or Pentax k-70 for picturing landscapes, people, night skies and for sometimes making video.
Canon 700D vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison
07-17-2017, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not voting because each has their strengths. For still photos the K-70 is better, for video the 700D is better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Saarepoiss Quote
landscapes, people, night skies and for sometimes making video
Landscape: K-70. Higher resolution sensor, better noise behavior if low light forces higher ISO, image stabilization for handheld use, weather sealing.

People: Doesn't matter. IMO portraits and street photography are fairly forgiving in terms of technology, so both cameras are more than adequate for the task.

Night skies: K-70. The better noise behavior of the K-70 will provide much better image quality. Note that Canon has better tethering and 3rd party software support if you get heavily into long exposure deep sky astrophotography through a large telescope, but most people never get into that very expensive photographic niche.

Video: 700D. Canon prioritizes video features more than Pentax does.
07-17-2017, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The 700d is a 4 year old camera, and its sensor is from the 550d, which was launched in 2010. To put that into perspective, the last Q camera was launched less than three years ago and everyone calls the line abandoned

07-17-2017, 10:29 PM - 2 Likes   #20

Photos: Albums
Video isn't hideous though. While it would be disingenuous to try to place it at the level of any of the current cameras out from Canon, it can do fine for certain situations depending on how to you'll be using the video.

1. First turn off the Movie Shake reduction, it's digital and doesn't use the hardware. This results in strange wobbles when the camera moves, but that will not be a problem with the Movie shake reduction off.
2. The stereo microphone is not really good for much, I'd recommend at Rode VideoMicro. This is the case for any other camera out there though, external microphones will always be a good investment that can be used on any other DSLR or Mirrorless you might purchase in the future.
3. Use a fluid head tripod.

Plan your shots for pulled focus if it's preplanned video. All the top end cine cameras are frequently operated this way, so you'll feel more "pro" Practice with video focus plenty prior to your planned event so that you learn what conditions lead to hunting for focus that would be a problem during your shooting, likely you'll switch to AFS and periodically back button focus when needed.

Between the K-70 and my Samsung S7 Edge, I'm finding I've got my own video needs covered. But it's not a meal ticket solution. Again, it depends on what it's for, if it's a lot of walking action type shots? Buy an inexpensive smartphone gimbol (Zhiyun Smooth-Q 3-Axis is every bit as good as the DJI Osmo at half the price) and your smartphone will do all those with aplomb.

For all the rest of my camera needs it's just right. I suspect that it even teaches me to plan better for my photo's. For example, I'm not a pro sports shooter, but with practice I'm getting more keepers than I can store for my families events, both outdoor and indoor. But I did spend extra on some fast Sigma glass too. I can only imagine a Pentax PLM that is 2.8 or faster. I've rarely used the 55-300mm PLM lens I bought, faster lenses with HSM motors still seem to kick it's can. Come on Pentax, I'd pay twice the price for a fast 18-135mm PLM lens even though I've the kit lens that came with the camera.

Last edited by SeaRefractor; 07-17-2017 at 10:34 PM.
07-28-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #21

The K70 vs the 700D is a massacre! It'll pretty much win on every spec; besides the obvious stuff like image quality (700D sensor is pretty old tech at this point) and build quality/weather seals, the K70 also wins for nice things like viewfinder (bigger and brighter), more manual controls etc. The 700D doesn't allow autofocus microadjustment, which is a massive pain in the arse if you ever want to shoot at wide apertures etc. Never buy a camera that doesn't include AF microadjustment!.

Against the 70D or 80D, it's a different story though. If you prefer the Canon ecosystem (totally understandable, they have a ton of superb lenses, video features and the best third-party compatibility), save a bit more for the 70D or above (buy used if you have to), or else buy the original 100D which is literally just a 700D guts in a smaller, lighter package with a few improvements, at a bargain-basement price. Honestly, the 100D is a great little camera for the money and makes the 700D totally redundant. The 70D+ are pretty heavyweight cameras for the price.

Have a look at the choice of lenses etc available for possible future upgrades, and decide what system you want. Once you start buying lenses and things, you're likely going to stick with that manufacturer so make sure they have everything you need.