Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which camera should i take?
Canon eos 700d   00%
Pentax K-70 27100.00%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

Daring to talk about canon 700d vs k-70

Hello again shooters,

Somebody may remember me from my last post k-50 vs k-70

Now i have new question and i don't know how did i got here. So my question is should i take Canon 700d or Pentax k-70 for picturing landscapes, people, night skies and for sometimes making video. Both cameras are on the same price for me right now.
Im literally so confused right now what to do even when all the specs on pentax are better.
I ordered 700d already but i can change this until tomorrow so i need quick solution and please don't turn 700d off so quickly. Maybe someone can tell me his/hers expierence with canons and pentax cameras.

Thanking in advance,
Saarepoiss

07-17-2017, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

The one thing that the Canon will beat the Pentax at is video. The AF performance should be somewhat similar with maybe the Canon having slightly better tracking ability, but the K-70 being able to focus on subjects in very dim light. As far as IQ goes for still images, the Pentax will beat the Canon. Canon will beat the Pentax at lens availability. The Pentax has weather sealing, IBIS, 2 control dials, & other stuff not found on the Canon. It's really a toss up between the 2.

Basically the one thing that can make it or break it for you is the video feature. This is where Canon excels & Pentax kind of sucks at it. The K-70 & KP at the best ones at doing video in the Pentax lineup, but they do lag behind Canon when it comes to that. I personally don't care for video, so it would be a K-70 for me if I were in your shoes. The only Canons I'd consider would be the 70D, 80D, or the 7D Mark II, but they're pricey. Not sure what those models are called in your area.
07-17-2017, 10:11 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter

Video is definitely a capability where the Canon trumps the Pentax; however, I believe in most other photographic areas you've listed, the Pentax K70 is the better camera -- especially night shooting and landscape. Depends on how important video is to you.

There is one other + for the K70 -- this forum. I do not think you'll find any other brand-specific forum with more capable, polite and helpful members willing to go to extremes to help. All things being equal, being able to leverage this forum in your pursuit of photography should be a big + in favor of the K70.

Once you've made your final, final choice and receive your camera, stop worrying about whether you got the 'best' camera. Whichever one it is, find a quality lens and focus on learning that camera. Just read and shoot, shoot, shoot, to hone your skills. At this point all major MFG's current cameras are high quality and very capable with the real difference being the skill of the photographer.

Last edited by ripper2860; 07-17-2017 at 01:03 PM.
07-17-2017, 10:16 AM - 2 Likes   #4
mee
Site Supporter

There is no way I'd take a T5i (700D) over a K-70 for photography. And, especially, for landscape and night sky photography the K-70 is a far superior choice between the two. You'll be gaining a sensor that provides a ton more Dynamic Range, better High ISO handling, more resolution (18 MP vs 24 MP) and in a body that is weather sealed.

There are plenty of crop format lenses for the K-70 too.

My choice would be between K-70 and the Nikon D5500 as they both use sensors that output similarly. Though I think the K-70 comes out on top with noise handling. Nikon generally has more lenses and I've heard a better flash system. But I've not used a Nikon for flash photography so I cannot definitely say so.

Where are you seeing a T5i for the same price as a K-70? Either the T5i is way overpriced or the K-70 is underpriced.

07-17-2017, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The K-70 has a better sensor, better optical viewfinder, IBIS, WR, higher max shutter, higher framerate, and built-in WiFI. The 700D has a touchscreen interface and better lens selection. I only say it has a better lens selection because there is a wider range of STM lenses. There is only one for Pentax (55-300 PLM).
07-17-2017, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back in October last year, I decided to get myself a DSLR. My initial thought was to get either a Canon 760D or a Nikon D5600. That's until I stumbled over K-70 reviews in my search for the best camera available - features, IQ etc.
I now have a K-70, and if I should choose again, I would still end up with the K-70.
I don't care about number of new lenses, I just buy some of the older lenses (I have 3 M lenses).
Video? I just use my iPhone.
The best? Astrophotography using the O-GPS1 and an old M 200 f4 lens or the new 55-300mm PLM, or the DA55 f1,8 or
07-17-2017, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, the biggest difference is ergonomics. Pentax IMO have the best in the business. But I'm a switches and dials kind of guy.

Pretty much every Canon DSLR I have ever held feels like the Playskool junior version of its Pentax or even Nikon equivalent, which is a shame, because the Canons have a lot of other qualities to recommend them. Big, bulbous, and unwieldy is what I think of when I think Canon. Likewise, touch screen is fine and dandy for phones and P+S, but when you need instant access to critical functions, it's more of a hindrance than a benefit.

---------- Post added 07-17-17 at 11:04 AM ----------

This might also be useful:
Canon 700D vs Pentax K-70 Detailed Comparison
07-17-2017, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #8
Imp
Pentaxian

K-70 is more comparable to a 70d or 80d for photography.

Video is something else

07-17-2017, 11:22 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

As others have said, I would prefer the Pentax for still photography. It really has great high iso capability and better dynamic range -- things that are really handy with still photography. For video, the Canon is probably the better choice, although it probably isn't as good as some of the other Canon offerings in that respect.

I guess the one thing that most beginning photographers miss is the importance of a good viewfinder and you won't find another camera in this price range that has a 100 percent pentaprism viewfinder. Most have pentamirrors in this price range and you will definitely notice the difference.
07-17-2017, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

By looking at the poll, I wonder what would happen if this same question was asked on a Canon forum? Hahaha!
07-17-2017, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If it's a T5i, then yeah the K70 is a more capable and durable camera.
07-17-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
By looking at the poll, I wonder what would happen if this same question was asked on a Canon forum? Hahaha!

Well if he would have asked between the 80D and the K-70 it would have been a better contest. The sensor used in the T5i is the same one in the T4i which is the same one in the T3i which is the same one in the T2i.. etc. I think Canon added the 60D AF to the T5i but even that is a dated body..

The T5i is such a dated camera and the K-70 is such a recent camera that it is really no contest between the two in my mind. Perhaps the Canon fans will vote for the Canon simply because it's a Canon. But they'd have more difficulty in arguing otherwise why to chose it, beyond lens system and video features.

I think the bigger issue there would be most Canon users won't be too familiar with the Pentax but more Pentax users are familiar with the Canon. Thus we're going to be able to provide a more established reason why one over the other... and it isn't just because we like Pentax. If the K-70 was a Canon and the T5i was a Pentax, I'd say pick the Canon. The K-70 is a superior camera based on merits, not brand.
07-17-2017, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

To me it really isn't close, unless video is a big factor or you love touch screens.

The sensor in the K70 is significantly better, the ergonomics will be better, and the viewfinder is a lot better. Having in body image stabilization is a big seller for Pentax and the capability of doing astro tracer with the additional unit could be a really nice thing as well.

As Mee says, there are Canon cameras that match up better against the K70, the only thing is that they are quite a bit more expensive too.
07-17-2017, 01:25 PM   #14

Original Poster
Haha good one, im going to do this joke
07-17-2017, 01:34 PM - 1 Like   #15

The 700D is really an old camera, even a bit older then the K-50. But let's break it to your priorities:
- landscapes - pro Canon - cheaper wide angle lenses (10-18mm costs less than half of Pentax 12-24 and is still about 150€ cheaper than Sigma 10-20 for pentax) - pro Pentax - higher dynamic range, pixel shift, no AA filter, larger resolution - that all results in much clearer pictures and more detail.
-People - if you mean something like portraits, both offer fast budget 50mm f1.8 primes at similar cost but Canon uses silent lens motor, OTOH does not have AF micro adjust so if that lens has front or back focus, you'll have to send it for adjust while Pentax has the possibility to adjust up to 20 lenses directly in the camera. Canon offers this feature from x0D series (like 80D) and up.
-Night skies- here the Pentax wins hands down, see all pros from landscape plus optional astrotracer, higher usable sensitivity with less noise
-video-this is where the Canon has an edge with the touchscreen (picking focus area) and silent STM/USM lenses

The only pros for the Canon 700D is the touch screen plus silent and affordable lenses as well as more 3rd party support (lenses, flashlights etc.)
Everything else the Pentax K-70 is the winner.
I have the K-70 for nearly a year now and can only recommend it. The only negative thing with it is the short battery life - in real life I get about 300-350 shots, so getting a second battery for longer trips is recommended. Looking at the Canon specs, it's rated battery life is about the same as the K70.

Last edited by miky; 07-17-2017 at 02:05 PM.