Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Pentax K3 Color Calibration/Representation is showing NONE

I know that I set my color representation to sRGB but suddenly it is showing: Uncalibrated

What have I done & how do I fix it?

Sometimes I love the complexity of this computer camera & other times I want to scream!!!

Thanks in advance for your help!~

ps. What have you found is the best setting for auto-focusing?
I spent an hour shooting chickens & the grass was in focus but not the chickens & no matter
what I adjusted it wouldn't stop focusing on the grass.

07-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to the correct forum. Price watch was not the right one.
07-19-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Moved to the correct forum. Price watch was not the right one.
Thank you.
I am apparently brain-dead today.
07-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CeciProAm Quote
Thank you. I am apparently brain-dead today.
You're welcome! I've had those days too, so I wondered why you put this thread, in Price watch. I was sure that's not where you wanted it.

07-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #5
Forum Member

K3

To fix it reset the camera to factory default.
I find AF works best for me if I use 9 pt AFC back button focus with focus priority set ( menu items 15 and 17 to 1 and 16 to 3) hold set to off (18 to 1).
07-19-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you. I will try that.
07-19-2017, 11:31 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I know that I set my color representation to sRGB but suddenly it is showing: Uncalibrated

What have I done & how do I fix it?
Are you attempting to set the color space (menu>c3>21 Color Space) or something else? At what point are you seeing "uncalibrated".

What have you found is the best setting for auto-focusing?
I spent an hour shooting chickens & the grass was in focus but not the chickens & no matter
what I adjusted it wouldn't stop focusing on the grass.
Your camera has no good way of reading your mind and left to itself (auto setting), it will show that the AF system is lazy as well. It will set focus to the first thing on which it may easily do so. Setting back-button or AF-C will not change this. If you want the focus on chickens, you must direct the camera to focus on chickens. The analogy is that one's eyes focus on what one is looking at.

Assuming you are wanting to use PDAF with the optical viewfinder, your choices begin with:
AF-S (single) vs AF-C (continuous)
  • AF-S will lock focus once detected
  • AF-C will adjust constantly, even after focus is detected
Both approaches have suboptions.
Moving on you may choose:
Which focus points and how they are used. The full details are in the user manual, but the options are best experienced by exercising the feature. The most important consideration is whether you tell the camera which point to use or whether you let the camera choose for you.

Hint: Many on this site use a single focus point at center with AF-S, focus prioity.

Steve
07-21-2017, 02:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you attempting to set the color space (menu>c3>21 Color Space) or something else? At what point are you seeing "uncalibrated".

Your camera has no good way of reading your mind and left to itself (auto setting), it will show that the AF system is lazy as well. It will set focus to the first thing on which it may easily do so. Setting back-button or AF-C will not change this. If you want the focus on chickens, you must direct the camera to focus on chickens. The analogy is that one's eyes focus on what one is looking at.

Assuming you are wanting to use PDAF with the optical viewfinder, your choices begin with:
AF-S (single) vs AF-C (continuous)
  • AF-S will lock focus once detected
  • AF-C will adjust constantly, even after focus is detected
Both approaches have suboptions.
Moving on you may choose:
Which focus points and how they are used. The full details are in the user manual, but the options are best experienced by exercising the feature. The most important consideration is whether you tell the camera which point to use or whether you let the camera choose for you.

Hint: Many on this site use a single focus point at center with AF-S, focus prioity.

Steve
Brilliant~! Thank you so much!!!

---------- Post added 07-21-17 at 02:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Under properties/details

07-21-2017, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Under properties/details
Oh...the file properties in Windows! I have seen that before, but couldn't remember the exact case where it happens, so I looked it up on the Web. What it means is that the file was saved by processing software without an embedded color profile or with one that Windows does not know about. The is an option to not embedded is supported in tools such as Lightroom. With your K-3, this also happens with in-camera JPEG when colorspace is set to AdobeRGB. Check to confirm your settings. Is it possible that the file was an in-camera conversion from RAW that was inadvertently saved as AdobeRGB?

Edit: The situation is actually a bit more complicated. The short answer is that the actual stored value in the EXIF is a number. From the EXIF specification v2.31...
QuoteQuote:
If a color space other than sRGB is used, Uncalibrated (=FFFF.H) is set.
When tools read FFFF.H (decimal 65535) they display "Uncalibrated". The only other option is "1" (=sRGB). There is more...much more, but it would be confusing to dive deep into it here.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-21-2017 at 05:55 PM.