Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Green button troubles on K3

I'm having problems using the green button successfully with my K3. I'm sure it is user error but it's driving me crazy and I'm hoping someone can help. Here's the problem: my K3 works beautifully with old manual lenses (pentax and third party) in green mode or if I manually meter everything, but the exposure is almost always off when I put it in M and use the green button. I can hear and see it working, but it almost never helps me get a correct exposure, and the light meter reading is often inaccurate (e.g., the light meter shows it's correct, but it ends up way overexposed). I can use the green button successfully to stop meter on my K30 with the same lenses, so it is an issue specific to the K3. I just did yet another experiment, this time with a Pentax-A 50mm f/2 lens. For both cameras, I put the dial to M, set the ISO to 100, and took pictures of the same scene with both cameras at 3 different apertures (16, 5.6, 2), using the green button to adjust exposure. Exposure was fine in every shot on the K30. Not a single one was good on the K3. I changed the K3 to green mode and the photo came out fine. The same thing happens with my other old manual lenses (Pentax and Vivitar) -- they'll meter fine on the K30, not the K3. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something -- at least, I hope I am, because otherwise my K3 has a problem. I'm tempted to just forget about this and shoot in green mode, but (a) I want to know what I'm doing wrong, and (b) I would like to be able to set the aperture manually to change depth of field. I've read many posts (here and on other sites) with similar issues, and they make it sound pretty simple - and it is simple, on the K30. On the K3, I've tried resetting custom functions several times, and that hasn't helped. And none of my lenses have the anodized button on the bottom that confuses the camera. (Tv and Av modes are also funky on the K3, by the way, but I haven't got the heart to do any controlled experiments with those at this point.)

I'm attaching a couple of the bad K3 green button shots and the good (green mode) shot, plus one of the K30 green button shots. Not great focus/subject, but at least they show the difference. These are all straight from camera with no editing, though I cropped them so they wouldn't take forever to upload. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
07-19-2017, 07:08 PM   #2

Have you set the Green Button in Tav and M mode to Tv, DOF preview to Optical and enabled the use of Aperture ring on the K-3?
07-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Looks like your camera is in spot metering mode for the "bad" manual shots. Maybe make sure you are spot-metering on the appropriate part of the scene?
07-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to check tomorrow or the weekend on the green button setting and also spot metering mode.

07-23-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Have you set the Green Button in Tav and M mode to Tv, DOF preview to Optical and enabled the use of Aperture ring on the K-3?
I've definitely done the last two, but am not sure about setting the green button. Can you help me understand that part? I haven't had much time lately to experiment but I'm still having exposure problems ... frustrated with my inability to use the K3 as fully as the K30. I appreciate the help.
08-07-2017, 12:20 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wanted to update in case anyone else had similar issues. I followed all the suggestions here and green button metering still did not work with any of my manual lenses (A, M, and vivitar). After doing more research, I did 3 additional things: updated firmware, reset to "factory settings" (which I know aren't exactly factor settings...), and then followed advice for "recommended settings" from the extended review of the K3 here. In retrospect, I should have tested after each step, but I did all three and then tested, and the green button now works perfectly with the pentax manual lenses. (Vivitar ones are not as accurate, but that's the fault of the lenses.) I suspect the reset was what did it - I bought my K3 used (floor model) and someone probably changed a setting somewhere, somehow. Anyway, I am very happy that it now works, since I was starting to worry that I had a problem with the aperture lever or some other issue with the camera body. I appreciate the helpful suggestions here.