Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 02:34 PM   #1

Pressing Live View and Preview buttons result in clicking sound

Hi, I was away for a few days on a photo shoot and ran into a problem with my K-70 which I thought I might be able to fix by resetting the camera to factory defaults. I solved the problem I had (by looking at the manual) but now the live view button and the preview buttons are making noises when I click on them. They sound like the shutter is being depressed. Is that a selectable option? Is there a place in the menus that will let me choose for them not to make a sound or is there a problem with the camera? Thanks. Joyce Keay

07-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The preview button stops down the aperture. Set the f/stop to the smallest number on the lens, and the sound will go away if my theory is correct.
07-21-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Live view requires the mirror to go up, so you will always hear that. Similarly, when doing a digital preview the shutter will open to capture an image, so you'll also hear a sound there. The alternative is optical preview, where the lens simply gets stopped down without capturing an image, so you can see the DoF in the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
the live view button and the preview buttons are making noises when I click on them
When you go into Live View, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens. Both make noise.

As for "preview", I assume you mean depth-of-field preview. If you are using the optical option, there will be a small sound as the aperture actuates. If you are using the digital preview option, the camera will do a full exposures cycle to generate the preview as if you had taken a photo.

Steve

07-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When you go into Live View, the mirror flips up and the shutter opens. Both make noise.

As for "preview", I assume you mean depth-of-field preview. If you are using the optical option, there will be a small sound as the aperture actuates. If you are using the digital preview option, the camera will do a full exposures cycle to generate the preview as if you had taken a photo.

Steve
Thanks for your response. Funny I don't remember hearing those noises before. There is a "sound effects" option under Wrench 1 that when set to 0 makes pushing the Digital Preview button soundless but the live view button still clicks. Mystery solved.
07-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
There is a "sound effects" option under Wrench 1 that when set to 0 makes pushing the Digital Preview button soundless
That makes no sense I am afraid. As others have pointed out, digital preview stops down the aperture, lifts the mirror, and fires both shutter curtains. How is that soundless ?

It will sound exactly the same as taking an actual photo....with the same camera settings.
07-21-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There are beeps and bongs that can go along with certain functions and can be turned off (or on if you like that kind of thing) - but the noises of pieces of metal and glass moving around are unavoidable. Those who are accustomed to point-and-shoots and phones might believe that shutter noises come from a speaker...but in proper cameras, that is the actual noise of the device.