Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Same picture - different shutter speeds live view vs. viewfinder?

Hi, Silly question probably. I was having some focus issues but I think I've got them straightened out. I went out in the back yard to do some test shots and discovered something weird. I don't know if this is typical. I'm using a K-70 with an 18-135 lens. I took two pictures from the same spot. Shooting live view the meter showed that 1/25 at f/5.6 was correct. When I switched to viewfinder the meter showed that I should be shooting at 1/60 at f5.6. When I looked at them in Bridge they looked identical. I never noticed this difference before. Is that normal? Thanks. Joyce Keay

07-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Was the camera mounted on a tripod, and do you know for sure that the lighting remained absolutely constant? Just a slight movement of the camera between the two shots could result in the metering reading from different areas of the scene, and a very slight change in light (the slightest wisp of a cloud passing over the sun, for example) could be more than enough to account for the difference in shutter speed...
07-22-2017, 12:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with BigMackCam - you need controlled environment to determine whether something is wrong with light meter in your camera. The difference of 1,3 EV you mentioned is pretty small, so it could have been caused by change in natural light and/or slight change of position of the camera.
07-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Shooting live view the meter showed that 1/25 at f/5.6 was correct. When I switched to viewfinder the meter showed that I should be shooting at 1/60 at f5.6.
That is not unusual. The two views use two different metering systems. Both are evaluative, but the scene interpretations do not always result in the same numbers. In your case, the two are a full stop different for that photo. Normally, a full stop difference should result in obvious difference in brightness (2x). I am not familiar enough with Bridge to know whether or not there is a setting to optimize (shift histogram) on import, though something like that might explain the identical appearance.

Steve

07-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Was the camera mounted on a tripod, and do you know for sure that the lighting remained absolutely constant? Just a slight movement of the camera between the two shots could result in the metering reading from different areas of the scene, and a very slight change in light (the slightest wisp of a cloud passing over the sun, for example) could be more than enough to account for the difference in shutter speed...
Hi, Thanks for your replies Pentageek and BigMackCam. The camera was not on a tripod. The two shots were taken probably within 30 seconds of each other. I took a bunch of other shots the same way with basically the same results. The sky is kind of overcast and I don't think it changed between shots. Maybe I should get into the habit of taking two shots of each subject - one in LV and one from the viewfinder. Joyce Keay
07-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
The difference of 1,3 EV you mentioned is pretty small
1.3 EV is more than twice as much light to the sensor and a significant difference, though not particularly unusual for live view vs. viewfinder measurements. I don't believe there is reason to believe there is a problem with the camera.

Steve
07-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Maybe I should get into the habit of taking two shots of each subject - one in LV and one from the viewfinder. Joyce Keay
If you wish to put your mind at ease, you can do comparison readings of a evenly-lit blank wall (suggest indirect daylight) in Av mode. The two systems should return the same or very similar shutter speeds.

Steve

07-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Thanks for your replies Pentageek and BigMackCam. The camera was not on a tripod. The two shots were taken probably within 30 seconds of each other. I took a bunch of other shots the same way with basically the same results. The sky is kind of overcast and I don't think it changed between shots. Maybe I should get into the habit of taking two shots of each subject - one in LV and one from the viewfinder. Joyce Keay
A sure-fire test, Joyce, would be to take a shot indoors in a room with the curtains closed and the lights on, with the camera on a tripod so that it's fixed on the same point. That way, you can keep the lighting and metering constant - and you'll know for sure if there's a difference in metering between the two modes
07-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1.3 EV is more than twice as much light
You are absolutely right, and I should have made myself clearer. I meant that in high-contrast scene even minimal movement of the camera can significantly affect readout of light meter.
07-22-2017, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Shooting live view the meter showed that 1/25 at f/5.6 was correct. When I switched to viewfinder the meter showed that I should be shooting at 1/60 at f5.6. When I looked at them in Bridge they looked identical.
It seems odd that the images looked identical, unless the scene brightness had actually changed between shots - similarly to a camera's auto exposure, our vision adjusts for changes in brightness so we might not notice the change. Or perhaps the ISO value changed - was the camera set to Auto ISO? Changing focal length (i.e. zooming in or out) can also change shutter speed in an auto mode.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 07-22-2017 at 03:55 PM.
07-22-2017, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did you have your eye pressed to the viewfinder when taking the shot/looking at the exposure? Strong light from behind you , if it shines on the viewfinder can affect the meter reading in non-live view exposures.
07-22-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Did you have your eye pressed to the viewfinder when taking the shot/looking at the exposure? Strong light from behind you , if it shines on the viewfinder can affect the meter reading in non-live view exposures.
This - especially noticable doing daytime long exposures.
07-23-2017, 01:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
This - especially noticable doing daytime long exposures.
And it would fit to the fact that the camera suggested a shorter exposure time for the metering without LV.
07-23-2017, 05:15 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
if it shines on the viewfinder can affect the meter reading in non-live view exposures.
I do not think this was the case - with the light coming through viewfinder (and fooling the light meter), the exposure at 1/60 would be too short. Yet both pictures are identical what suggests change in lighting conditions / position of the camera / ISO.
07-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I have tried doing controlled tests in the backyard before with various lenses. The light changes, minute to minute can be significant, even on a bright day, Whether or not a gradual 1.3 EV change over say a minute would be discernible to the eye is debatable. I doubt it would be.