Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K3 II image count on SD Cards

I was downloading images to my computer from this weekends outings. I had thought all images recorded to one SD Card but as I was going through the images I realized not all of them were on the card. I checked the other card that I partially used on Sunday and sure enough 31 of the images from Saturday were on that card. Everything recorded correctly so that isn't an issue but I am confused by what the camera states as far as what is left on the card.

See attached image and you will notice that I ended up switching the cards when I put them back into the camera.

Saturday SD1 = 168 + 31 that was added to SD2
Sunday SD2 an additional 7 (too hot to do much more than that)

Did a search but didn't see an answer to this. What is the issue if there is one?

Thanks...

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
VS986  Photo 
07-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JTWilson37209 Quote
I was downloading images to my computer from this weekends outings. I had thought all images recorded to one SD Card but as I was going through the images I realized not all of them were on the card. I checked the other card that I partially used on Sunday and sure enough 31 of the images from Saturday were on that card. Everything recorded correctly so that isn't an issue but I am confused by what the camera states as far as what is left on the card.

See attached image and you will notice that I ended up switching the cards when I put them back into the camera.

Saturday SD1 = 168 + 31 that was added to SD2
Sunday SD2 an additional 7 (too hot to do much more than that)

Did a search but didn't see an answer to this. What is the issue if there is one?

Thanks...
Did you set up the RAW+JPEG on the RAW button? JPEG's will be written to card 2 when set. Did you shoot Video? Video files are written to card 2.

Did you remove card 1 while shooting and not put it back in before shooting? (Remember to power off when changing cards). The camera will switch to card 2 and stay there even after card 1 is re-inserted. You can get the camera to go back to card 1 again by removing card 2 power on, power off, re-insert card 2 and it should be back to normal. Also check the folder name and look for files starting with 100_foldername. the first set of folders on a card starts with 100. (I use the create folders using date function which gets a little confusing as each time I insert a new card - even if it is the same day - the folder name defaults to 100_mmdd)
07-26-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The "Shots remaining" numbers are very conservative estimates. They assume the future images will have the worst-case, largest file size.

How much the "Shots remaining" numbers on two cards differ will depend on both the numbers of files and the actual sizes of the files which depend on format, resolution, quality setting, subject matter, lens sharpness, focus, and ISO.

The strange numbers you see probably reflects the high likelihood that the files that ended up on one card or the other may have been bigger or smaller than average.
07-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Raw DNG only. While out and about unless by chance the card gets full I don't remove the cards. No video.

Confused by what the camera says is free on the card when it actually might have gotten full and then started saving over to the 2nd card. I format SD Cards in camera.

07-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #5
PDL
Pentaxian

The numbers referring to the number of shots left are pretty much a WAG. After you use the camera for a while, you will get a feel for how much space is left so when you get that feeling that you need to change cards, just change them. The K-3II has two slots and if you have it set to sequential it will change from card 1 to card 2 without any hesitation. Mine did during the Highland games at Loch Lomond last month. Also when a card gets full, it will show up on the LCD and keep shooting.
07-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone I just formatted both cards in camera as of right now it states 298 for both of them. Guess I need to get some that are more than 16gb. Especially if it doesn't clearly state that both cards are full.
07-26-2017, 06:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Keep in mind also, that SDCards do not all hold an exact amount of writeable data. There are bad sectors that need to be mapped out at the factory. Some cards may be off by several dozen megabytes.

They should be close. You probably won't be off by more than a few shots between cards. Hopefully not a difference of more than one or two, or you may need to start taking a look at replacing the card if it has many bad spots being mapped out.
07-27-2017, 02:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Typically you will get 50 zu 70 % more pictures to a card, as the shown number. They ar doing a worst case size estimate, not an typical size estimate. The number ist allway available space divided by worst case file size. it is not unusual, that the counter won't change even if you take a picture.

07-27-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JTWilson37209 Quote
Thanks everyone I just formatted both cards in camera as of right now it states 298 for both of them. Guess I need to get some that are more than 16gb. Especially if it doesn't clearly state that both cards are full.
If a card claims to have more than 0 shots remaining it is not full.

The more likely cause of the camera switching cards before the card is full is from accidentally hitting the card-swap button on the back of the camera.(joergens.mi is correct that the button only affects playback)

Last edited by photoptimist; 07-27-2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: correction
07-27-2017, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

There isn't any card swap button for recording. This works only in replay mode. The only way to swap cards, is card full or removing the card in use.
07-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joergens.mi Quote
The only way to swap cards, is card full or removing the card in use.
This has caught me out with my K1 a few times. I use card 2 as my first card. Take some pictures and remove the card to transfer to computer. Before replacing the card I switch the camera on and off for one reason or another. Bingo....the card priority has changed to card 1.
07-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

One more thought on the subject, if you use a Mac... do not simply use the Trashcan to delete your images from the SD card.
This will create a "invisible" folder named .Trashes on the SD card. The photos remain there until you Empty Trash *with the SD card mounted* of course.

I think Windows either deletes files, or moves them to the system trash, in either event actually clearing up memory from the SD card (if I recall back in my Windows days)

Maybe not related to your issue, but an interesting side note to be aware of anyway, should you wonder why your "empty" SD card isn't holding as many photos as you think it should. This caught me a couple of times. :-)
07-27-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

I suggest that you lock a card before attaching it to a PC (Windows, Mac or Linux). If your card reader follows the rule that a locked card will not be written to that is.

Windows places hidden files (System File Information and $Recycle come to mind) when explorer accesses the card, apparently Mac's do the same thing when the OS access the card. (Disclaimer, I do not have a Mac, I have never owned a Mac and at the moment I do not have ANY Apple products - other than a really old copy of QuickTime -- on any of my electronic devices.) I don't really know about Linux as my copy is well over four years old and I only turn it on to modify the firmware updates on my NAS. (Hasn't been one since 2015)

Anyway - my best practice is to lock the card before putting the card into the reader whether the reader is separate or built into your computer. Do not delete your images from the card, reformat the card --- in the camera. That way, the camera will set up the card as it sees fit, with a file format that the camera is designed to use.
07-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
I never delete images from the card when in the reader on the computer. I wait until I am certain everything is correct image wise and even then I wait until the morning before an outing then I format the cards in the camera. Still puzzled that the image count on the back of the camera is that much off. I mean I can understand perhaps a dozen or so but by 100 or more seems odd to me. I am just happy that they are being recorded as they should but just means I can't trust what the camera is showing number wise.
07-27-2017, 07:26 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
That way, the camera will set up the card as it sees fit, with a file format that the camera is designed to use.
I sort of agree with most of what you say about locking the card. I'm simply too lazy and honestly haven't had a problem in 15+ years of digital media (although it probably would be a good idea to lock the SD card and eliminate the hassle of removing those hidden files).

But thinking that the camera formats the card any differently than the computer is a misnomer. The format is well documented, understood and standardized. If the format was different, you'd have a whole host of other problems in addition to, and long before that process ever started.

I've seen big name podcasters re-iterate this, but always as "it messed up my card once. It could have been static or my poor handling of the card, but I just format in camera from now on to be safe".
Quite honestly this sort of stuff is really unsettling. These people know nothing about the technical aspect of what they are doing and admit the problem may not be related to their issue, yet they continue to propagate theses unfounded ideas.

I have yet to see one proven case where someone can show that formatting or deleting files for an SD card via the computer is any different than from within modern cameras.
Yes, circa year 2000-ish has some pretty bad stuff going on; crash when unknown files exist, requiring special database files and folder structures -- created only by formatting, else camera crashes, etc... no one does this stupid stuff any more. Pentax never has.