Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Cheap Strobe kit for 645z

Hi there,

I know theres many discussions about 645z / HSS etc - but I'm still a bit confused.

Most of my work is natural light - but I need to buy a cheap strobe kit for some specific jobs I have coming up.

I was wondering if this would work with the 645z
https://www.amazon.com/Softbox-Lighting-Carrying-Portrait-Photography/dp/B01...ntaxforums-20&

I used to own ProFoto with my Canon setup but I don't need that kind of power. I don't mind shooting via PC either.

Do let me know any basic strobe suggestions you may have

Thank you

Max

07-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mkpto Quote
Hi there,

I know theres many discussions about 645z / HSS etc - but I'm still a bit confused.

Most of my work is natural light - but I need to buy a cheap strobe kit for some specific jobs I have coming up.

I was wondering if this would work with the 645z
https://www.amazon.com/Softbox-Lighting-Carrying-Portrait-Photography/dp/B01...ntaxforums-20&

I used to own ProFoto with my Canon setup but I don't need that kind of power. I don't mind shooting via PC either.

Do let me know any basic strobe suggestions you may have

Thank you

Max
Thats a very weak light, GN48, which is less than most reasonable shotshoe flashes. If you don't need a ton of power, I guess it would work. Also, it appears to be manual, like most studio lights, so if you need HSS (you mention it in your post), then you'll have to look elsewhere.
07-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies!

With the work I do - it tends to be natural light editorial and the advertising/commercial commissions tend to have budgets for hiring gear.
I used to have the ProFoto D1 500 Air kit and I felt like I never used it to its fullest capacity.

I just want to find a solid light kit for around $500 or less that I can pull out if needed. Knowing full well that they will have serious drawbacks compared to ProFoto/Broncolor etc and HSS won't be available.
I have a couple of shoots next week that require full-body/clean white background...for example. Something I never do.

Brooke - I agree that with the 645z there is so much room in the DR - you can get away with shooting at higher ISO's when using weak light.

Thanks again - I'll keep searching.

Max