Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Off-camera triggering of Metz 26 AF2 flash unit

I photograph quite a bit in very low-light locations (caves for example) with my Pentax K-3ii mounted on a tripod. I would like to be able to set the camera on long exposure and “paint” the cave’s interior with light by holding the flash in my hand (off-camera), pointing it in various directions and firing it repeatedly. I have a small (and very handy) Metz 26 AF-2 flash, but it unfortunately does not have a discharge button with which it can be fired off-camera. It only fires when mounted on the camera’s hot shoe. I’m looking for an accessory that connects to the flash’s connection base and has a button which will fire the flash. Would someone be able to recommend such an accessory? Thanks.

07-28-2017, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Cactus V6 II radio trigger has such a button that would do what you wish. Do a bit of research on which radio triggers have discharge buttons and try and pick one up on ebay second hand
07-29-2017, 01:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Any single pin wireless trigger, like an inexpensive PT-04 will do. I'd be tempted to skip the speed light and use a flash light that can be focused, like a Coast HP7 you can find at Lowe's. A little more expensive than a PT-04 set but it has more utility, especially in a cave. Good for light painting.

Mea culpa, didn't notice you were in Israel, pretty sure there are no Lowe's home improvement stores there. But a flashlight is still a good idea for light painting. LED, something advertised as "tactical".
Thanks for the prompt replies. I've tried "painting" with a LED flashlight and the photos has a distinct green tinge (which can be corrected quite well in Lightroom). The LED flashlights I've tried don't give a balanced white (around 5000K-5500K). If any company were to develop a powerful LED flashlight with a CRI index of 90 or better, I'd be one of their first customers.
07-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #4

Original Poster
I found this article very useful.
The Best Flashlight For Light Painting ? Night Photography Workshop LLC
I'll most probably be getting one of the EagleTac flashlights with a Nichia 219 High CRI Bulb (CRI>85)
Once again, many thanks to those who responded. You put me on the right track towards solving the problem I raised.