Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-28-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Purchasing Pentax

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi
I am looking to replace my Pentax KS-1 with a weatherproof camera and lenses. Price for the body around AU $1000 or less. I also would like to purchase a 24mm or so prime WR lense. And a 85mm or so prime WR lense.

Looking at the K70 as it is WR and solid looking.

Would you please advise me as it is so confusing and a one off oppurtunity to purchase a new DSLR?

Cheers,
Graeme

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 07-28-2017 at 08:16 PM.
07-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #2

there are currently no modern pentax DA 24mm or 85mm prime lens. There are older screw-driven FA* lenses (made for fullframe film era) that would work perfectly for the k-70, thats the FA* 24mm f/2.0 and FA*85mm f/1.4, both of which you have to buy used. Modern * lenses are weathersealed. The closest available prime specifically made for apsc are da 21mm limited and the da 70mm limited, both of which are praised for their optical quality and lightness, but are not weather-sealed. The DA 16-85mm zoom is weathersealed, with fast silent autofocus motor, but is not fixed aperture.
07-28-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax currentlt doesn't have a 24mm or *85mm at the moment. If you want Pentax brand AF lenses, you'll have to go with their older options (not sure if their WR, other will know if they are or not).
What's your budget on lenses? Is the $1000 budget is just for the body itself or for everyhing (body and lenses)?

*Pentax is releasing an 85mm, but when, nobody knows but Pentax.
07-28-2017, 10:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Pentax currentlt doesn't have a 24mm or *85mm at the moment. If you want Pentax brand AF lenses, you'll have to go with their older options (not sure if their WR, other will know if they are or not).
What's your budget on lenses? Is the $1000 budget is just for the body itself or for everyhing (body and lenses)?

*Pentax is releasing an 85mm, but when, nobody knows but Pentax.
Thanks for the responses.

Yes the $1000 is for the camera body only. Lenses well where would we stop.

07-29-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-70 is a fine choice, or you can opt for the KP which has the same sensor with improved high ISO options, even more customization, and a durable metal body.
07-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Also if you don't mind buying used check out KEH, they currently have some good Dslr's available for sale that fit well within your budget: Digital Cameras | Used Digital Camera - Pentax K (SMC, SMC-M) - Pentax KA (SMC-A) - Pentax KA2 (MZ-M, ZX-M) - Pentax KAF SMC-F - Pentax KAF SMC-FAJ - Pentax KAF2 (SMC-FA) - Pentax KAF2 (SMC-DA, SMC-DFA) - Pentax KAF3 - Pentax KAF4 - Pentax K Unspecif
07-29-2017, 04:40 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH.com also offers a 14 day no questions asked return

that starts the day you receive it.

be sure to check that they offer that to over seas customers

is a 100 mm lens too big? do you really need W R?

I have a SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DFA-100mm-F2.8-Macro-Lens.html

but there is also available the SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR

here is a link to the detailed review on the WR model

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review

. . . The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively. None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. . . .

Conclusion

The image quality of this lens is superb and the lens is very well made: it really feels and handles like a precision instrument. It is weather-sealed and can be used in adverse weather and perhaps more importantly, in environments with dust and pollen without any worry about getting dust on the sensor.
The only major drawback we could find is the lack of an aperture ring, which prevents use of bellows and extension tubes. This is probably of no concern for most users for whom life-size magnification is more than sufficient, or who would use the convenient diopter lenses to increase magnification beyond 1:1. Having a focus limiter also wouldn't hurt for when you'd be using this lens as a telephoto. . . .

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-29-2017 at 04:58 AM.
07-29-2017, 06:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
I have never bought used cameras from them but I did buy three lenses from them. Lenses they graded as EX+ or LN- will look and function like new lenses. My thought is that I would prefer to get the camera new, but would not hesitate to get used lenses, especially ones in better condition. This could be a good way to get lenses like the limiteds at a good price. Two good limiteds to start with are the DA 21 and the DA 40 and budget permitting the DA 70 as well. As far as zooms, the 16-85. Another option would be the 16-85 and a macro such as the DFA 100 macro. Between the zoom and the primes they each have their obvious advantages.
07-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know the request was for a pair of primes, but I wonder if the DA20-40 Ltd would work for the wide side of the equation. It offers nice rendering with a tiny bit of Pentax pixie dust and is WR. Samyang has a 24mm prime for k-mount that seems quite nice. Sigma used to have an f1.8 24mm but I don't know if that's a real hot performer. Their old Super-Wide II seems nice on crop and I would kind of like to have one but never quite put my money where my mouth is. If you're okay with size, the FA*24 seems quite interesting, but they're not cheap [or as cheap as they should be...] or small or WR.

On the 85mm end, the Samyang manual prime would probably be my first goto. Another lens worth looking at that is close is the Tamron 90mm Macro. 85mm on crop is kind of tight... DA70 ratchets up nicely with the crop factor to an 85mm FF experience. Nice prime. Not WR.

In conclusion, when you asked for a 24mm WR prime, I suggested a 20-40mm zoom. When you asked for an 85mm WR prime, I suggested a 70mm non-WR prime. Hope this helps!
07-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have never bought used cameras from them but I did buy three lenses from them. Lenses they graded as EX+ or LN- will look and function like new lenses. My thought is that I would prefer to get the camera new, but would not hesitate to get used lenses, especially ones in better condition. This could be a good way to get lenses like the limiteds at a good price. Two good limiteds to start with are the DA 21 and the DA 40 and budget permitting the DA 70 as well. As far as zooms, the 16-85. Another option would be the 16-85 and a macro such as the DFA 100 macro. Between the zoom and the primes they each have their obvious advantages.
While I agree you can get some really nice glass used, and I have, I also have noticed things like stiffness differences in the focusing action on lenses I've bought new versus used, and I'm thinking of some limited lenses I've bought that I would expect to be similar due to the quality of the line, so I think I really am feeling differences in wear. Does the used one focus faster due to less friction?.... Dunno, but it all makes me try to buy new glass if I can afford it. Plus having to wait to replenish funds adds to the LBA fun. And for whatever it's worth, given that many of "us" seem concerned with the state of the camera industry as a whole and the success of "our" brand specifically, anytime we can buy new, it does help keep it all going, so there's hopefully someone still there to be able to buy another new lens/body from down the road.
07-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

I just bought a K-70 and have found it to be a fantastic camera, especially for the price. Note that it is not totally waterproof. It can survive a light rain for a short time. It may survive a more thorough drenching, or it may not. There are no guarantees. But, you won't find a dslr brand that is better in the rain.
Since I got the DA 16-85 I haven't been using my primes in that range. It's very sharp, good color and contrast, and has great bokeh when your subject is close. The only downside is that its aperture has a max of f3.5-5.6. However, the K-70 has very good high ISO performance, so you can boost the ISO to compensate for the slow lens. If you need a faster lens, then the other people have had good suggestions for you.

Last edited by Qman; 07-29-2017 at 09:17 AM.
07-29-2017, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FLOSSEY Quote
Hi
I am looking to replace my Pentax KS-1 with a weatherproof camera and lenses. Price for the body around AU $1000 or less. I also would like to purchase a 24mm or so prime WR lense. And a 85mm or so prime WR lense.

Looking at the K70 as it is WR and solid looking.

Would you please advise me as it is so confusing and a one off oppurtunity to purchase a new DSLR?

Cheers,
Graeme
G'day Graeme.

As for the new DSLR, have you looked at this comparator? Pentax K-S1 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

Amongst new DSLRs, the K-70 looks the current value option to me. The KP or K-3ii will be over your budget. The other possibility for under a grand would be a new old stock K-3, which would also be worth considering. The K-3 is a bit heavier than the K-70, but it has better autofocus, better metering, a quiet shutter, and is built to last. Even though it doesn't have some of the features of the K-70 (e.g. a tilting screen), it would serve you well for a long time.

The going price for a K-70 body seems to be around $850 (e.g. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PENTAX-K-70-BODY-ONLY-SILVER-24-2MP-SENSOR-/322479687077). But If you can wait, keep an eye on the offers from this store on ebay: Items in Surveying Equipment Online store on eBay ! Despite what the name suggests, Survey Supplies also deals with cameras and photographic gear. Survey Supplies is the ebay outlet of C R Kennedy, who are the official Australian distributors of Ricoh-Pentax gear. They are as reputable as it gets, and items they sell (usually ex-demo or excess stock) are backed by a full warranty. Here are some examples of their recent auction sales:
- a new K-70 for $546: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-K-70-24-24MP-DSLR-Camera-Excellent-Condition/263072468353
- a KP for $1037: www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-KP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black/252968347181
- a K-3 (ex demo) for $762: www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pentax-K-3-23-4-MP-Digital-DSLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only/272708995236

Also Pentax Australia had a sale late last year in which a lot of stock was heavily discounted. (I got a K-S2 for several hundred less than its regular price.) And Ted's had a sale in which the K-70 was a couple of hundred dollars off.

As for lenses, you have plenty of good advice already. I'd just say that the WR zooms mentioned (16-85, 18-135 and 20-40) all seem to be good options. Other WR zoom options would be the DA star lenses (DA*16-50mm f2.8, DA*50-135 f2.8, and DA*60-250 f4) or the big heavy and expensive constant-aperture DFA zooms (15-30, 24-70, 70-200, 150-450) or the variable-aperture walkaround DFA 28-105. Amongst primes, the only WR options at present are the DA*55, DFA 100 macro, DA*200, DA*300 and DA 560.

I have the 18-135 and it's both versatile and affordable, and really quite surprisingly good given those other virtues. I often carry a prime as well for when I want something particular (e.g. the magic of the FA 77 or the macro function of the FA 50 macro or the DFA 100 macro), but the 18-135 is an ideal walkaround lens.

Last edited by Des; 07-31-2017 at 04:07 PM.