Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No need to do any more contact cleaning!

Without having the camera in hand, it is hard to tell what is happening. Based on your description, it is likely that there is a fault in the PDAF (viewfinder auto-focus) detector and/or the mirror position*. Neither are user serviceable. If your camera is a recent purchase, you should contact your dealer for a replacement body. If not recent, but still under warranty, a service visit would be indicated. Sorry

Steve

* It is not obvious, but a shift in the mirror angle can totally disable the PDAF sensor by misdirecting the light for the sensor.

07-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most likely it's not relevant to OP problem, but I got the similar problem ones when I accidentally moved the camera AF-MF switch slightly in between position. It took me a while to realize it when I inspected the camera.
07-31-2017, 08:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No need to do any more contact cleaning!

Without having the camera in hand, it is hard to tell what is happening. Based on your description, it is likely that there is a fault in the PDAF (viewfinder auto-focus) detector and/or the mirror position*. Neither are user serviceable. If your camera is a recent purchase, you should contact your dealer for a replacement body. If not recent, but still under warranty, a service visit would be indicated. Sorry

Steve

* It is not obvious, but a shift in the mirror angle can totally disable the PDAF sensor by misdirecting the light for the sensor.
thanks for the info. i think i need to face facts am gonna be a few weeks without a camera. have 6 shoots in the next 20 days inc a wedding I rang the supplier they said they wont do a replacement on the spot but the will sent it away turn around of 3 weeks+ bought it in march 2017.

Pentax have yet to get back to me emailed them Sunday morning.