Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Camera issues. Now with 50% more confusion.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm having a dilemma here. I'll be going on an 8 day trip to Japan in the beginning of September. Gonna do Tokyo, Nagoya, Kyoto, Goju Hachiman, Takayama, & related areas. I was relying on my both my K-50 cameras to do some shooting, but now one of them is starting to develop the aperture motor block failure. I even bought a Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 wide angle lens just for this trip a few weeks ago. I don't have any manual lenses & I'm not planning on getting any other lenses like the 55-300mm PLM at the moment. Why? I'm waiting for that supposed K-3II replacement to see if I'll be sticking with Pentax or moving on to another manufacturer.

This kind of sucks 'cause my wife & I were planning on doing lots of shooting there. I don't want to buy any Pentax bodies at the moment 'cause none of them really interest me. Not even the K-3II. I'm basically dead set on that upcoming K-3II replacement. I was willing to wait until winter of 2018 for it, but now this issue is throwing off my plans a bit.

I can order that replacement aperture solenoid plunger from eBay & try to fix this camera, but I would hate for it to fail right in the middle of the trip and/or the other body starts having issues during the trip too. I do have other camera systems in mind, but having only a month is not enough time for me to learn a new camera system either.

The K-3II would be the only Pentax camera that I would possibly consider getting if I really had to get a Pentax body 'cause at least it's reliable, but if the replacement appears sooner than later, then this will be very upsetting for me, since some of the money for that will have been used on the K-3II.

I need to figure out if I should buy a soldering iron or unload that K-50 for parts & get a K-3II. This sucks. Hmmm......

08-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd buy the part for the K-50 and buy a lightly-used K-3. Shoot the K-3 on your trip, fix the K-50 at your leisure and then, when your K-50 is fixed, you have a choice... Sell the K-3 for most (possibly all) of what you paid for it, and go back to shooting the K-50 - or, sell the K-50 and keep shooting the K-3. Either way, this gets you past your current problem with the minimum of pressure and keeps you going until the K-3II replacement is released
08-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you can follow this for a quick fix:
08-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A potential consideration on a K-3II replacement is that the timeline for such a new model is completely unknown (outside of Ricoh Imaging, perhaps). You'd be holding out for an unknown camera, unknown specs, unknown release date, unknown performance, etc.

I have a K-3II and I would say it's a great camera - and in my hands now.

- Craig

08-03-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If you are using a K-50 why not go for a K-70?

The advantage to a K-3 is the deeper buffer for burst shooting, but if you have a K-50, that's not something you re used too anyway. For shooting the Sigma 10-20 and scenery images, even a K-3 is over-spec for what you are doing. If anything, I'd be looking at a K-P. Newer than K-3 equivalent to K-7- and K-1 image processing with better high ISO performance than a K-3.

I love my K-3 for wildlife and birding.

The only thing I'm anticipating in the new APS-c flagship that's better than a K-P would be better tracking AF, a deeper buffer and a slightly higher frame rate, maybe 10 fps.

And those are incremental improvements not earth shattering improvements. I'm not sure what you think will be in the APS-c flagship that isn't in the K-70 or K-P.
08-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
another option......

LensRentals.com - Rent Lenses and Cameras from Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Leica, and more

$38 buck for a K30 for a week...... $51 for a Ks2
08-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

use that body to shoot with M42 lenses

08-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd buy the part for the K-50 and buy a lightly-used K-3. Shoot the K-3 on your trip, fix the K-50 at your leisure and then, when your K-50 is fixed, you have a choice... Sell the K-3 for most (possibly all) of what you paid for it, and go back to shooting the K-50 - or, sell the K-50 and keep shooting the K-3. Either way, this gets you past your current problem with the minimum of pressure and keeps you going until the K-3II replacement is released
You want photos? Do what he said ^ ^ ^.

In addition, make sure you have something else to take photographs with, even a phone cam.

Steve
08-03-2017, 02:14 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If you are using a K-50 why not go for a K-70?

The advantage to a K-3 is the deeper buffer for burst shooting, but if you have a K-50, that's not something you re used too anyway. For shooting the Sigma 10-20 and scenery images, even a K-3 is over-spec for what you are doing. If anything, I'd be looking at a K-P. Newer than K-3 equivalent to K-7- and K-1 image processing with better high ISO performance than a K-3.

I love my K-3 for wildlife and birding.

The only thing I'm anticipating in the new APS-c flagship that's better than a K-P would be better tracking AF, a deeper buffer and a slightly higher frame rate, maybe 10 fps.

And those are incremental improvements not earth shattering improvements. I'm not sure what you think will be in the APS-c flagship that isn't in the K-70 or K-P.
I basically bought a couple K-50 bodies to try the Pentax waters. I initially liked them a lot, but soon noticed that the AF wasn't that competent. The IQ, IBIS, 2 control dials, weather sealing, menu layout, remote control capability, ergonomics, & pentaprism are a few of the saving graces. Single point, back button AF is the only way to kind of track something with the K-50, but it's almost hopeless at times. It's great for landscapes & static subjects, though. No issues there. I still like my K-50 bodies a lot.

On the other hand, whenever I know that I'll be shooting some action, especially movement in low light, I'll have to borrow my dad's Nikon D7200. Don't really want to take it to Japan, though. It'll be too much gear to carry. The tracking capability of the D7200 is the main reason for me not wanting to get the K-3II or KP & why I'm waiting for that upcoming flagship. I have hopes of it having tracking that is at least as good as the already old Nikon D7200 along with 5-axis IBIS. That for me would be the ultimate DSLR. If by some miracle the engineers at Ricoh can actually outdo the D7200's tracking capabilities, I'll explode with joy. Hahaha!

I'll probably try fixing it first.
08-03-2017, 03:15 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you do not repair the K-50, and buy a K-3II, the price and value of the K-3II is not going to disappoint you. But, if you feel that you have to wait for the K-3II successor, then renting a Pentax body for your trip at a reasonable price may be an alternative. The amount of time you have until you leave is not lengthy and on the other hand not short, so unless you have ample time to repair your K-50, you may want to wait until after your trip. I have a K-3II, and its' performance and features are excellent, but if you have a sincere goal of buying the successor to it you may wait. If the successor is an improvement over the K-3II, then it will be a sensible investment, being that the K-3II is also an excellent body/performer.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-03-2017 at 03:29 PM.
08-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
^ Yes. I'm dead set on the K-3II replacement. I'm not going to automatically preorder it as soon as it is announced. I'm still going to wait for a few weeks or months to see what other users & reviewers say about the improved features, particularly about the AF performance & then I'll go from there. Basically, that camera will make or break Pentax for me. If it turns out that Ricoh listened to a lot of users & reviewers & actually delivers a super competent AF system with much better tracking, this is going to be one of the very few times that I'll be willing to pay the "early adopter fee".

I'll figure out what to do with the K-50 this weekend. I might order the part then. That solenoid replacement doesn't look too hard to do. I'm just worried about burning stuff inside. Hahaha!
08-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Good luck.
08-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I know you already made up your mind.
Anyway, this is another option.
You can go here for a profresional treatment of your Camera. next visit these store (Google map) Pentax is on 3rd floor and this stores ( Google map), They are in walking distance.

One more, and I have never been here but it looks like a good idea to go if you are in Ginza.
08-03-2017, 05:04 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I basically bought a couple K-50 bodies to try the Pentax waters. I initially liked them a lot, but soon noticed that the AF wasn't that competent. The IQ, IBIS, 2 control dials, weather sealing, menu layout, remote control capability, ergonomics, & pentaprism are a few of the saving graces. Single point, back button AF is the only way to kind of track something with the K-50, but it's almost hopeless at times. It's great for landscapes & static subjects, though. No issues there. I still like my K-50 bodies a lot.

On the other hand, whenever I know that I'll be shooting some action, especially movement in low light, I'll have to borrow my dad's Nikon D7200. Don't really want to take it to Japan, though. It'll be too much gear to carry. The tracking capability of the D7200 is the main reason for me not wanting to get the K-3II or KP & why I'm waiting for that upcoming flagship. I have hopes of it having tracking that is at least as good as the already old Nikon D7200 along with 5-axis IBIS. That for me would be the ultimate DSLR. If by some miracle the engineers at Ricoh can actually outdo the D7200's tracking capabilities, I'll explode with joy. Hahaha!

I'll probably try fixing it first.
If you are waiting for the next Pentax to catch up with Nikon (or Canon) tracking, you're barking up the wrong tree. Go Nikon and be done with it? Tracking isn't Pentax's strength.

I'm, not actually seeing anything to discuss here. It's either not all that important or you need to switch systems. And you've used a Nikon 7200 which we haven't. So why ask us? You know more than we do.

It sort of feels like you are delaying the inevitable. Coupled with the fact that if you have the same system as your father you can buy different lenses and share them.

Last edited by normhead; 08-03-2017 at 05:09 PM.
08-03-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Pentax is the system for people that like to shoot still photos using small primes, or in places with bad weather and probably rough handling. We have IBIS for old manual lenses, and we can fit so many of them. Astrotracer. The 15mm. The 15mm. (yes, twice on purpose). Nikon tracking will likely always be better, so is their flash system. Pentax menus are less confusing, better WR, especially at intermediate levels, special lenses like the FA and DA limiteds (like the 15 and 43). If you want to just use zooms, and/or don't get wet, and/or don't need the magnesium housings, Pentax isn't the right brand for you.

Really, your post is along the lines of "I really like the Subaru Outback, but if the next one doesn't handle just like a Mazda Miata, I'm changing to Mazda." Different, but similar, tools for mostly different jobs.