Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K-1 side grip first clicking, now developing into structure having loose feeling

I've generally been very happy with my K-1. Had it since February of this year. However this grip issue seems to be getting worse. It's hard to figure out what is causing it. I've read at least one other thread in this forum regarding this issue, so it's just not my particular camera body.

I haven't seen anything in the forum or elsewhere that describes what is going on with some K-1 grips. My K10D, K-5 have a similar side grip and there is absolutely no 'loose' feeling regarding the grip.

I've seen pictures of the unadorned K-1 body and it seems like a solid, one piece metal casting to my eye. However I'm not a structural engineer and so far can't figure out what the problem is and more importantly what needs to be done to repair the body.

If anybody has had a similar issue, please let me know and if they have had it repaired, I would appreciate knowing what the exact problem was and how it was successfully addressed.

It's bugging me and I paid a lot of money for this camera. It seems to be getting worse, I want it fixed. Thank you for your contribution.

08-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been previous reports of this problem. See here: Grip creaking (near IR sensor) - PentaxForums.com
08-06-2017, 06:35 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

While I haven't experienced this particular problem myself, if it's a design defect rather than something caused by normal wear or damage, it should be covered under warranty and I wouldn't hesitate to send the camera in.

Looking at the design of the body, my guess would be that the thumbrest padding/trim attached to the metal chassis might be coming loose? It's quite unlikely that the chassis itself has a fracture, though who knows!

Edit: based on this post in Mark's link it could be as simple as loose screws!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
While I haven't experienced this particular problem myself, if it's a design defect rather than something caused by normal wear or damage, it should be covered under warranty and I wouldn't hesitate to send the camera in.

Looking at the design of the body, my guess would be that the thumbrest padding/trim attached to the metal chassis might be coming loose? It's quite unlikely that the chassis itself has a fracture, though who knows!

Edit: based on this post in Mark's link it could be as simple as loose screws!
Thank you Adam for your answer/advice and the thread link that discusses the issue. As always, I find the Pentax forum the place to go for all things Pentax. It's a great site.

Les

08-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #5

Please read this thread.

Grip creaking (near IR sensor) - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
08-07-2017, 03:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-1 has got the same defect. Currently it is being repaired for the second time within one month since purchase.
01-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Hi pentaxians ,
greetings from Czech Republic. I have the same problem with grip on my K-1 limited silver edition. I have already second K 1 silver edition wit the same problem. The first one I sent back the seller within the statutory time limit and the second one I will send on complaint and descibe the defect. Is anybody here , whom was the problem with the grip recognised and was corrected ? I ´m little bit confused. Please let me know your opinion and experiences and send me persona message at libor.pour@gmail.com . Thank you. elpí

01-30-2018, 06:02 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentageek Quote
My K-1 has got the same defect. Currently it is being repaired for the second time within one month since purchase.
Hi,what was the result of the repair? Was the defect repaired ? I have the same problem wit my K-1 silver limited. Thanks in advance for your comment. elpí
01-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manuelgj Quote
Grip creaking (near IR sensor) - PentaxForums.com

I think it may be post #48 in the thread will be of possible assistance

I don't have a K 1 so I have no direct experience
01-30-2018, 03:17 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elpí Quote
Hi,what was the result of the repair? Was the defect repaired ? I have the same problem wit my K-1 silver limited. Thanks in advance for your comment. elpí
It was repaired under warranty without any questions asked.

Last edited by pentageek; 01-30-2018 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Duplicated quote