Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Why is this photo so noisy and blurred

Hi
I don't understand why this photo is noisy and blurred.

I used auto focus, and it was taken at 1/2000 - f13. See below for more EXIF-info. Camera used was Pentax K-30 and lens was 18-135 (at 48 mm). Accidentially the ISO was set at 640.

Some photos turn out like this, but most of them are fine.

Click here for Original photo.

ExposureTime - 1/2000 secondsFNumber - 13.00
ExposureProgram - Not defined
ISOSpeedRatings - 640
FocalLength - 48.00 mm
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 4928
ExifImageHeight - 3264
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
SubjectDistanceRange - Distant view

Any suggestions?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-07-2017, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's likely a combination of the high ISO, the narrow aperture (which results in diffraction), noise reduction (which blurs fine details), and the overall underexpose.

If you shot in raw this photo should be salvageable pretty easily.

You should probably switch to matrix metering, by the way, as center-weighted metering in bright conditions will often underexpose.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-07-2017, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pwiwe Quote
Hi
I don't understand why this photo is noisy and blurred.

I used auto focus, and it was taken at 1/2000 - f13. See below for more EXIF-info. Camera used was Pentax K-30 and lens was 18-135 (at 48 mm). Accidentially the ISO was set at 640.

Some photos turn out like this, but most of them are fine.

ExposureTime - 1/2000 secondsFNumber - 13.00
ExposureProgram - Not defined
ISOSpeedRatings - 640
FocalLength - 48.00 mm
Any suggestions?
Lower your ISO, correct your exposure (this shot is quite underexposed), get rid of any cheap filters you may have left on your lens by accident (or on purpose), shoot at a max aperture of F8 to avoid diffraction softening your image. If tken on tripod, ensure SR is switched off. Try posting a shot which is correctly exposed. The 18-135mm is no standout for corner-to-corner sharpness but it should do perfectly fine on a landscape shot such as this.

Try ruling out human error first.
08-07-2017, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is underexposured, but I dont see much noise or bluriness in the image at all?

08-07-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Adam and newmikey have it right. The main thing here is underexposure - the image looks a lot better just lifting the exposure. It will also look sharper if you increase the contrast some. And opening up to f/8 and setting the ISO to 100 would take care of the rest. The18-135 should be at its best around 25-70mm and quite up the task for making a good image of a scene like this.
08-07-2017, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's likely a combination of the high ISO, the narrow aperture (which results in diffraction), noise reduction (which blurs fine details), and the overall underexpose.
This ^^^^^^
Underexposure combined with a relatively high ISO will guarantee noise. Search on ETTR "Expose to the Right". You do not show a histogram but I'll bet it was heavily on the left side. The ETTR technique tells you to expose as far to the right as possible WITHOUT going over and clipping. In this shot you still had plenty of room to increase the exposure. I would try to have just a few points of pure white in those clouds, they ARE white after all. Expose for that and everything else will fall into place as best the camera can do.
08-07-2017, 08:25 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My question, were you hand holding or tripod mount. If hand hold, was the shake reduction on and if so, did you allow time for it to set (green hand)? If you used a tripod, did you leave the shake reduction on? Both cases can cause a small amount of blur to your image regardless of shutter speed.

08-07-2017, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

do not use auto focus or at least check where the focus point is/was.
F13 can be a problem too.
08-07-2017, 08:54 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

A few comments on what I saw in the EXIF:
  • AF-A (release priority)...it is possible that the lens was not in focus
  • AF center point was in focus
  • Exposure mode was TAv...the ISO could have been set as low as 200 and still provided adequate shutter speed for hand-held at 48mm focal length. That being said, while noise is present, I don't see noise as the dominant feature of the image. I also don't consider the f/13 aperture to be a particular concern either
  • SR was turned on, but the EXIF says that the photo was not stabilized ("hand" icon was not lit)
  • SR half-press time was 0.0s meaning that the shutter was released immediately without time for AF or SR
  • AE Lock was on (unintentional?)
  • NR off
  • AF fine adjust +5
  • Calculated LV (light value) was 15.5
Based on the EXIF and the appearance of the photo:
  • At full resolution there is some (very slight) linear blur that would indicate camera motion, perhaps from an abrupt shutter press without waiting for SR
  • I see mild missed focus despite the hyperfocal being satisfied and the AF system reporting "in-focus"
  • Contrast is low, possibly due to mild veiling flare and mild underexposure. This would contribute to the perception of softness. The LV 15.5 from the EXIF seems low (at least one stop) from the expected for this sort of scene.
Suggestions? AF-A is problematic, consider using AF-S (focus priority). Wait for the "hand" icon before releasing shutter when using SR. Evaluate whether the +5 AF fine adjust is appropriate. Consider moving to RAW capture where both the noise and exposure issues could be easily addressed in post processing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-07-2017 at 09:17 AM.
08-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You do not show a histogram but I'll bet it was heavily on the left side.
Here is the histogram (courtesy of PDCU)

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  17.4 KB

I figure it to be about 1.5 stops underexposed. ExitTools reported LV of 15.5, a little low for the scene.

Steve
08-07-2017, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A little bit of tidying up and its good as new.

ps you have a dust bunny showing up as a mark next to the last cloud on the left.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
08-07-2017, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

this one was all about the focus point. I feel like the f/13 was wasted by focusing too far back in the scene, causing insufficient depth of field to cover the foreground pond. Also, as others said, ISO 640 is unnecessary here given you had enough light to give you a fast shutter.

I would've shot at ISO 100-200, f/9-11 and focused at the back of the front pond or along that dark diagonal line somewhere. Since you were handheld, you must mitigate a quick enough shutter speed to reasonably handle camera movement, but 1/250th is sufficient.
08-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a shame that DOF scales are not etched on the lenses anymore, although more difficult to do with a zoom.
08-07-2017, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
A little bit of tidying up and its good as new.

ps you have a dust bunny showing up as a mark next to the last cloud on the left.
Another photo "saved" in post!

Steve
08-07-2017, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for all your comments – they give me something to work and experiment with. That said, it is a handheld snapshot, and I'm usually more cautious, and I usually shoot raw. I'll check out ETTR :-).
The photo was taken on the island of Samsø, Denmark. Here's another one from Samsø that gave a more satisfying result :-)
(18mm/ƒ/7.1/1/250s/ISO 200)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo