Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #1

first time into dslr, looking at k-x or k-r

Hey I'm hoping to eventually get into photography professionally, specifically with shooting adventure sports, landscapes, and portraits.
Cost is an issue, hence why I'm looking at these models, but I'm having a hard time deciding between these 3.

K-x: from ebay, for $350ish (+ I may have to pay import/duty fees, unsure how that works with buying cameras from japan into canada) with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens and 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED lens.

K-x: from a secondhand classifieds (I feel buying from shops on ebay lowers the risk of getting a faulty camera?) $275 with wide angle 18-55mm F3.5 and mid-range 35-80mm F4.0.

K-r: from ebay, for about $300 with 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL lens

Out of these I'm leaning more towards the one from the classifieds, but they haven't replied to my message inquiring if they even still have it. And I also feel like if I were to have any issues with my camera, that it's better to buy from somewhere that I can leave reviews?? Other than that I don't know if the older K-x is worth it for $50 more if it comes with another lens?? I guess it depends if that lens is worth the extra $50??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! My apologies if any of this sounds confusing or off, there's alot of people around me at the moment and it's hard to hear myself think lol.

08-07-2017, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I would recommend getting a k-5 or k-5 ii instead, they are in your price range.
08-07-2017, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #3
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check the classifieds here because you should be able to get at minimum a K5ii here. I'd recommend going that way. Also, if you're looking at basic cameras check out the KS1.
08-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I highly recommend the body with the 300mm kit.

Last edited by photolady95; 08-07-2017 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Removed sale offer
08-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Adorama has a K-5 in their used section (here: Pentax Used DSLR Cameras and SLR Cameras buy at Adorama) for $289.
08-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second the K-5 recommendation. It's not only a much more durable body, but it also delivers better image quality, better ergonomics, a nicer viewfinder- all important features if you plan to shoot professionally one day. The K-x and K-r where entry-level offerings, whereas the K-5 was the APS-C flagship from 2010 until 2012.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #7
Forum Member

I've used the K-x for many years. It is a good camera but it has some weaknesses that can hamper your picture taking.
First, there isn't a focus confirmation in the view finder. It will beep, but it won't show a red dot where the focus is. Second, the LCD screen is relatively low resolution and it is difficult to tell if you nailed the focus. Third, the live view doesn't work very well. Fourth, the stabilization is slow to act and doesn't work as well as more modern cameras. Last, it doesn't focus very well in dim light.
Paying a little more for a more modern body is worth it, in my opinion. If you are thinking about professional photography, then you might as well start with a more professional body. As others have said, your best bet is probably a K-5.

You can certainly bring a camera in from Japan. Depending on the seller, sometimes all extra fees for crossing the border are included in the shipping, sometimes not. If it is unclear then ask the seller a specific question. I usually try to buy within Canada when possible so that I don't get any surprises. You can also check out local camera shops and online retailers. Henry's, and Lens and Shutter are two Canadian examples that have used cameras listed on line.

Yes, be careful about purchasing from private sellers. If you don't know what to look for then you may buy something that doesn't work properly. The K-x is quite old now and it may be getting glitches. Mine has a couple of issues that you wouldn't detect unless you used it for a while.
08-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
ah right on, thanks for the help everyone! I'm gonna look into getting a K-5 then. I looked them up and they sound much better for what Im looking for. And after the suggestions, I can justify spending a little extra.

08-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also K-X has a very poor LCD. The pictures looks like crap on that low res LCD but are very pleasing to look at on the bigger screen because ultimately the image and the IQ is very good. Shutter sound is VERY noticeable. Also AA batteries are good and bad depending upon which side you prefer. But it is hell of a light n compact body.
I think you are better off getting the K-5 (much improved IQ over K-x, albeit slower focusing on kit lenses). It is also weather sealed, K-X is not.
08-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #10
mee
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Also K-X has a very poor LCD. The pictures looks like crap on that low res LCD but are very pleasing to look at on the bigger screen because ultimately the image and the IQ is very good. Shutter sound is VERY noticeable. Also AA batteries are good and bad depending upon which side you prefer. But it is hell of a light n compact body.
I think you are better off getting the K-5 (much improved IQ over K-x, albeit slower focusing on kit lenses). It is also weather sealed, K-X is not.
K-x also doesn't have focus point confirmation in the viewfinder.. which may or may not be a hindrance to you. It helped me learning as I just used the central focusing point and remembered to focus and compose off of that... less reliance on an AF system starting out.

But I can see the value of having them then on.. and the K-5/K-5 II is so much more camera than a K-x.
08-08-2017, 06:21 AM   #11

I have been looking for an "excellent" used K-5 for a while, and just I checked Ebay, B&H, Adorama and even Pentax Forums. I found several K-5's of various types (II, IIs) but nothing less than $400, body only, and many in the $600-$700 range with various lenses. K-x's and K-r's are running less than $200. Not disputing the recommendations noted above, and not disputing the K-5 is not worth the premium, just reporting what I found.
08-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #12
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would also consider spending a little more and buying this kit: https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-S1-SLR-Lens-Kit/dp/B00NBMIB1Y/ref=sr_1_2?tag...rds=Pentax+KS1 if you're looking at entry level stuff. It will absolutely blow away the Kx and Kr.
08-08-2017, 07:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The K-x is a great little camera for what it is. I've got one with a pretty blue body that I picked up off eBay two years ago for $114 including shipping but without a lens. It's great for non-demanding shooting situations but it does have its limitations. Bear in mind it was an entry level camera, targeted toward the casual consumer. As others have already pointed out, there are better cameras to be had for the money you're talking about spending. You say you're aspiring to go pro, so you should definitely invest in the best gear you can afford and a weather sealed body should be high on your list of criteria, along with a weather resistant (WR) lens or two. I picked up a K30 earlier this year for $220 with an 18-55mm kit lens that's much better suited for your proposed application. Be patient and watch for good deals. They will find you.
08-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep an eye on the Marketplace here, add some keywords. You can even put a "wanted" in the appropriate thread. It's likely you'll get a better deal here. I see insane pricing in online ads, people who really overvalue the hardware. Plus, the folks here are likely to have taken good care of the gear.