Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #1

K3-II PKTriggercord Servermode Trouble

Does anyone out there have any experience or success using servermode to capture images?

Goal: To use servermode to automate my camera for the eclipse. Ideally I would like to script the shutter releases using the computers clock as a reference so I trigger the release with the proper settings at the exact moment I want.

Current Situation: I have servermode running and I can change ISO, Shutter, Aperture, and capture an image to the camera's buffer. The trouble is I don't know how to get the image from the buffer to my computer.

Details: I am using Lubuntu 17.04 on an old PC, using the command line to start servermode, then I open another command line instance and telnet into port 8888 (which is where servermode is listening). From here it accepts the commands to change ISO, Shutter, Aperture, and takes an image and the camera reacts properly. When I use the command "get_buffer" it prints out a bunch of ASCII characters to the terminal. I am guessing I could cut and paste these out and transcode them into a .dng but that seems wonky for a solution and won't work for my desired goal. I have tried using "get_buffer > file.dng" to save the output of the command but it doesn't seem to work. At this point I am beyond my knowledge of telnet.

Probably the problem: I really doubt telnet is the right tool for this, but that is the limit of my computer knowledge. I googled and it looks like netcat or putty might work but they seem like different flavors of telnet so I am not optimistic.

Possible Solutions: Well this is where I am at a loss, I am hoping someone out there with more computer experience than I have can suggest something other than telnet to access the port, issue commands, and save images. I am also open to totally different solution if anyone knows of another way to accomplish my goal.

I appreciate any help!

08-10-2017, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firstly, telnet is ancient tech and should be banned (obligatory rant). Having said that, try the following:

get_buffer | tee filename.dng

This should prevent telnet from inserting escape characters into the output while also writing and saving the named file.
08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Firstly, telnet is ancient tech and should be banned (obligatory rant). Having said that, try the following:

get_buffer | tee filename.dng

This should prevent telnet from inserting escape characters into the output while also writing and saving the named file.
Thanks I will give that a try!