Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Question on K-S2 lens

18-50 mm lens first use after opening and tried shooting for first time is Ok. Now i would like to close it. Is this normal that it will not retract ( return ) to its original position ( shorter ) or I am wrong? Help is needed to clarify.

08-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
18-50 mm lens first use after opening and tried shooting for first time is Ok. Now i would like to close it. Is this normal that it will not retract ( return ) to its original position ( shorter ) or I am wrong? Help is needed to clarify.
You need to press and hold the button on the side of the lens if you want to collapse it. Without pressing it, the lens stops at 18mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You need to press and hold the button on the side of the lens if you want to collapse it. Without pressing it, the lens stops at 18mm.
Thanks. Power on pressing the ring button and turning the ring into opposite direction to opening will not align the white dot and line mark, it stops before aligning and something is locking inside the lens that prevent me to align the marks. I do not use force to turn this might damage the lens mechanical function. Any idea why this happened?
08-11-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When my lens was new that was a huge problem. I even put a dab of hot gun glue on the button to depress it better. I remember fiddling with it sometimes for 20 minutes to get it closed. I do think its the button. My glue dab fell off but i have little problem now.

08-11-2017, 01:42 PM   #5

Sometimes they can be a little stiff. Try perhaps just putting the lens cap on, and then _gently_ pushing down while pressing the button in and rotating?
08-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Definitely don't use force while turning the ring. Try depressing the button as far as you can and then wiggle the lens around the 18mm mark to see if it will then proceed over to the locking point.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

before pushing and turning, point the lens toward the ceiling. Try retracting then. Sounds goofy but it works with mine
08-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Landak Quote
Sometimes they can be a little stiff. Try perhaps just putting the lens cap on, and then _gently_ pushing down while pressing the button in and rotating?
I did put the cap of the lens and push the lens cap to retract the lens and so it was closed, then i power off.
Now when I powered on again, pressing the ring button will not open the lens. The LCD says the shutter release is disabled....
How to solve this problem? Return the camera? I talked to support in Denver but do not know the answer.

08-11-2017, 04:23 PM   #9

Two points, Penview -
1. You do not need the power on to open or close the lens, you can switch on or off at any time, but the lens will not allow you to shoot unless the zoom ring is positioned somewhere from 18 to 50mm; if it is not, the camera displays that warning information on the screen.
2. When retracting the lens, you need only press the button to get just below the 18mm mark, after which you can release the button and concentrate on turning the ring to the fully retracted position, but you must not impede the barrel's inward motion in any way; if it will not click into that fully retracted position, it sounds like it might be faulty.

Philip
08-12-2017, 06:53 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Two points, Penview -
1. You do not need the power on to open or close the lens, you can switch on or off at any time, but the lens will not allow you to shoot unless the zoom ring is positioned somewhere from 18 to 50mm; if it is not, the camera displays that warning information on the screen.
2. When retracting the lens, you need only press the button to get just below the 18mm mark, after which you can release the button and concentrate on turning the ring to the fully retracted position, but you must not impede the barrel's inward motion in any way; if it will not click into that fully retracted position, it sounds like it might be faulty.

Philip
I can not open the lens, the white dot and line mark are aligned. The LCD warning " shutter release is disabled...." , pressing the ring button to turn the lens ring will not move, it is locked into position, no matter what angle or position of the camera, slight wiggling of the lens so that electrical contacts might be disabled but will not open the lens in power on or off. The lens is fully retracted and as if locked into position. Any idea to solve the problem...thanks.
08-12-2017, 07:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Take the lens off the camera because this has nothing to do with the camera. Then squeeze the button on one side and squeeze the ring from the other side with one hand. Make sure your fingers arenot pressing on the ring with the line but only the ring with the white dot. Its very easy to squeeze both preventing the ring turning. Now with the other hand grab the very front piece with your fingernails there are 4 grooves or just under it and pull.
08-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did the forum ever make a review and tutorial of collapsible lenses? Its quite new tech (at least for Kmount), a little video might help people out
I don't have such a lens, so I can't help out, but I think its safe to say more and more people will get that lens since its the new kit
08-12-2017, 08:53 AM - 1 Like   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Did the forum ever make a review and tutorial of collapsible lenses? Its quite new tech (at least for Kmount), a little video might help people out
I don't have such a lens, so I can't help out, but I think its safe to say more and more people will get that lens since its the new kit
Yup:
HD vs. SMC Pentax-DA 18-50mm F4-5.6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam

08-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Take the lens off the camera because this has nothing to do with the camera. Then squeeze the button on one side and squeeze the ring from the other side with one hand. Make sure your fingers arenot pressing on the ring with the line but only the ring with the white dot. Its very easy to squeeze both preventing the ring turning. Now with the other hand grab the very front piece with your fingernails there are 4 grooves or just under it and pull.
Yes this is a good suggestion and it works for me. thanks for good work.
08-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Glad you got it to work. Its design is not great for use but makes it very compact. The more you use it the less frustration.