Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 02:31 AM   #1

Battery wrongly stuck in Pentax K-50

I'm a proud owner of a Pentax K-50 camera. Today,while inserting the battery in the camera, I wrongly put the opposite side of the battery & accidentally pressed forcefully. Now the battery is stuck in the slot and not coming out. Kindly see the photo attached.

> Can this be fixed at home ?

> Or should I take it to a camera repairing shop? The nearest one is about 10Kms away from my home.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (4)  Photo 
08-12-2017, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I'd take extreme care if you try to remove the battery yourself. Damaging the battery causing the layers within to short-circuit could cause the battery to catch fire or even explode.
08-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try to feed a thin plastic ribbon under it and try to pull it out with that. If that does not work, pull it out with a pair of pliers and discard the damaged battery. Damaged batteries can cause fires so don't take a chance.
08-12-2017, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've seen solutions to this, which included;

super glueing something like a plastic zip tie to the exposed end of the battery and using it to pull the battery up and out;

making L shaped (metal?) handles, sliding them down the side of the battery on both sides, hooking the L under the bottom of the battery and pulling upwards;

and, not to be recommended but...screwing a screw into the exposed end of the battery and using it to pull up and out. This latter suggestion was actually done by a camera repair centre, but presumably they knew how/where to avoid the cells in the battery case and therefore not risk short circuit/fire/end of the world!

One idea which was never reported as successful was simply making sure the battery latch is not holding the battery in, then hit the camera hammer fashion against your other hand with the battery compartment facing down, with the hope that it would would shock the battery lose.

Last edited by JohnX; 08-12-2017 at 04:09 AM.
08-12-2017, 04:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up.I really do not wish to take the matter to such explosive proportions.
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I'd take extreme care if you try to remove the battery yourself. Damaging the battery causing the layers within to short-circuit could cause the battery to catch fire or even explode.

---------- Post added 08-12-17 at 05:09 AM ----------

>The battery is almost entirely inside,and tightly stuck. Only a small portion of it exposed : I don't think the glue can do it. I have got this suggestion before ,although did not try it.
> Yes the screwing thingy does not sound good at all. I prefer not to do this.
> I have tried with some weak & light "L" shaped metal because the space is really narrow. Apparently they do not have the pull/power to take such tightly stuick battery out.
>The battery is stuck inside the battery compartment ,the door won't shut due to this. I've tried to punch with my palm just above the battery compartment with the battery facing ground. After repeatedly trying, my palm went red.But no change in battery position. Tough luck.
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
I've seen solutions to this, which included;

super glueing something like a plastic zip tie to the exposed end of the battery and using it to pull the battery up and out;

making L shaped (metal?) handles, sliding them down the side of the battery on both sides, hooking the L under the bottom of the battery and pulling upwards;

and, not to be recommended but...screwing a screw into the exposed end of the battery and using it to pull up and out. This latter suggestion was actually done by a camera repair centre, but presumably they knew how/where to avoid the cells in the battery case and therefore not risk short circuit/fire/end of the world!

One idea which was never reported as successful was simply making sure the battery latch is not holding the battery in, then hit the camera hammer fashion against your other hand with the battery compartment facing down, with the hope that it would would shock the battery lose.

---------- Post added 08-12-17 at 05:18 AM ----------

>Hi Mark ,I have thought about trying the ribbon thingy. But , as you can see only tiny space is available,and I did not find any way to put a ribbon in that space & under the battery.

> As of now, the Plier method sounds most feasible in my case,I have couple of spare batteries so no problem. As the space is narrow,might just try out with a Needle Nose/Long Nose Plier and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion.
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I would try to feed a thin plastic ribbon under it and try to pull it out with that. If that does not work, pull it out with a pair of pliers and discard the damaged battery. Damaged batteries can cause fires so don't take a chance.
08-12-2017, 05:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Needle nose pliers work. I had a swollen battery (not the Pentax one thankfully) that was stuck and refused to slide up after pressing the ejection tab, I used needle nose pliers to remove it. Then threw the bad battery away.
08-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
That's encouraging to know. Hope the same happens in my case.
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Needle nose pliers work. I had a swollen battery (not the Pentax one thankfully) that was stuck and refused to slide up after pressing the ejection tab, I used needle nose pliers to remove it. Then threw the bad battery away.
08-12-2017, 08:20 AM   #8

Paperclip!
I'd use a thinnest paperclip to make a hook to lift the battery from its bottom. Thread it down, turn to grab the bottom, lift.
The action won't puncture the battery to cause fire.

Attached Images

08-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Same thing happened to me on my K-01, I also used needle nose pliers and worked for me! Just be gentle and slowly does it!
10-09-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

Hi,

have you fix the problem? Same happened to me and the estimate to have it repaired is 150 (London, Pentax authorised shop?
Not sure what to do?
10-14-2017, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, it would be nice if the OP would at least post back as to whether he removed the battery or not!
10-14-2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used dental picks...same advice...gently gently
10-15-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OP may not be in a position at the moment to give us feed back to our suggestions here, if not for others to learn from.
I am sure he/she will do this as soon as possible.
10-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A nice, long allen key where you bend the end to make a handle would've worked. Would have to send it down the shaft for the AA adapter to get under it.