Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nimmic Quote
Hi,
This is a common error if you use your card with a Mac computer and remove the card without ejecting it first via the software (pressing the eject button in Finder).

If your computer is a Mac this could be the issue, you don't need to format the card often putting it back into the SD card slot and making sure you eject it properly via software before taking it out of the slot will fix the issue. Hope it helps.
Hi, Thank you all for your replies. Funny thing is that the card has not been out of the camera's slot since its purchase. It has also never given me an error message when there have been new pictures on it. I think I've got it figured out. After I download pictures from the camera to the computer, I am supposed to click the triangle icon in Finder to "eject" the camera/card from the computer (make it disappear from Finder) before unplugging the cord from the computer. Sometimes it takes a while before the camera/card disappears from the Finder listing of devices. If I don't unplug the cord in a timely fashion, the camera/cord will reappear in Finder (very annoying). So I think it has to do with timing - exactly when I unplug the cord. Thankfully: 1) it only happens occasionally, 2) it only takes a few seconds to reformat, and 3) that it has never happened with new pictures on the camera. I think this is something Apple could fix. I'm going to post this problem on the Yahoo Mac group page.

Last edited by Joyce Keay; 11-03-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: add text
11-03-2017, 05:01 AM   #17
Forum Member

Joyce,

try to move the switch at the side of the card/adapter into the lock position before inserting it into the computer.
That way, the card is read-only and this prevents the computer from doing strange things to the file system on the card (which they do).
Just be aware that you have to move the switch back before returning the card to the camera (although you get a message if you should forget), and that you'll have to delete pictures from the card in the camera, not in the computer.
11-03-2017, 06:44 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sys3175 Quote
Joyce,

try to move the switch at the side of the card/adapter into the lock position before inserting it into the computer.
That way, the card is read-only and this prevents the computer from doing strange things to the file system on the card (which they do).
Just be aware that you have to move the switch back before returning the card to the camera (although you get a message if you should forget), and that you'll have to delete pictures from the card in the camera, not in the computer.
Hi, Thanks for the suggestion but I think that as long as this does not happen with pictures on the camera, I'll just put up with having to reformat the card when it happens. I am going to call Apple about this tomorrow to see what they have to say. Who knows. It could be a glitch in Sierra.
11-05-2017, 01:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Funny thing is that the card has not been out of the camera's slot since its purchase.
I suggest you buy a card reader, so you can remove the card from the camera and use the card reader to transfer your photos. Then reformat when you pop the card back in the camera.

11-06-2017, 04:37 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I suggest you buy a card reader, so you can remove the card from the camera and use the card reader to transfer your photos. Then reformat when you pop the card back in the camera.
Here's a new wrinkle on the situation. Since my last post I attended a one-hour lecture on importing in Lightroom. Since all importing from the camera is supposed to be done while in Lightroom (according to the speaker), I asked about deleting photos from the camera in Finder rather than in Lightroom. The speaker suggested I reformat the card in the camera every time after downloading photos from the camera to Lightroom. I am brand new to Lightroom and am just learning my way around the Library module. I'm not convinced Lightroom is for me. I'm very happy with Elements, but that's a whole different topic.
11-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience echoes Mark's and Norm's.
Just format it in camera and keep on truckin'
11-06-2017, 05:39 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Here's a new wrinkle on the situation. Since my last post I attended a one-hour lecture on importing in Lightroom. Since all importing from the camera is supposed to be done while in Lightroom (according to the speaker), I asked about deleting photos from the camera in Finder rather than in Lightroom. The speaker suggested I reformat the card in the camera every time after downloading photos from the camera to Lightroom. I am brand new to Lightroom and am just learning my way around the Library module. I'm not convinced Lightroom is for me. I'm very happy with Elements, but that's a whole different topic.
I use Lightroom now (Elements previously). I always take the card from the camera, plug it into a card reader and use Lightroom to import from the card reader, telling Lightroom where i want those files to be placed in the process. I never allow Lightroom to delete them, or use any windows tools to delete them. Just pop card back in the camera and either delete or format

11-06-2017, 09:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This and...

I use Lightroom now (Elements previously). I always take the card from the camera, plug it into a card reader and use Lightroom to import from the card reader, telling Lightroom where i want those files to be placed in the process. I never allow Lightroom to delete them, or use any windows tools to delete them. Just pop card back in the camera and either delete or format
Also make sure that you close the file explorer after transferring your pictures before trying to safely remove your card. Your computer may think it should still access the card if you don't close everything out before telling finder to remove the card. This is very much the case in Windows machines. It won't usually corrupt the files but it won't give you the message that it is safe to remove your card if you haven't closed both the card window as well as the target file window.
This may not apply directly to Macs in general but computers are computers.
11-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Also make sure that you close the file explorer after transferring your pictures before trying to safely remove your card
The latest version of Lightroom Classic has the option to "eject" the card reader (ie disconnect from the OS) as soon as the images have been imported. This is on by default.
11-06-2017, 10:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The latest version of Lightroom Classic has the option to "eject" the card reader (ie disconnect from the OS) as soon as the images have been imported. This is on by default.
Aha! Not a LR user, I think I would probably uncheck that box on LR just because I am not a fan of Adobe having too much control over any of my systems.
Since my process starts by moving the day's photos into their own file, closing everything then removing the card and returning it to my camera.
Then I do a quick scan of all of my photos in Windows Photo viewer and delete any that are obviously poorly composed or badly focused. If I have time I will delete the lesser or worse of photos that appear similar. Only after I ensure that they have transferred over correctly do I delete using the camera. Then since I am slow, I may decide to edit in detail what I think may be the best of my photos.