Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2017, 10:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Leaf shutter lens

I just got my first leaf shutter (LS) lens, the Pentax-67 165mm f 4.0 LS. I need advice and assistance on using it. Specifically, I need to know what kind of sync cord to purchase in order to connect the lens to the flash unit.

08-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you using it on the 6x7 body?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, thanks for answering. Actually, I am using it on the K-1. ivan
08-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a cable with a pc socket on one end and a hot shoe with 1/4 20 mount on the other ( I have the 6x7 90 LS)
https://app.box.com/s/44lzyxxte8c3v1ipj2kj

08-15-2017, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I just got my first leaf shutter (LS) lens, the Pentax-67 165mm f 4.0 LS. I need advice and assistance on using it. Specifically, I need to know what kind of sync cord to purchase in order to connect the lens to the flash unit.
Warning the manual for the Pentax 67 165/4 LS lens states that if you are using the K-Mount to 6x7 adapter you cannot use the LS function on this lens, the 165/4 lens will only work in the focal-plane shutter mode.

Phil.
08-15-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Warning the manual for the Pentax 67 165/4 LS lens states that if you are using the K-Mount to 6x7 adapter you cannot use the LS function on this lens, the 165/4 lens will only work in the focal-plane shutter mode.

Phil.
I think you are on to something. I found the right connector by using an old Sunpak 522 vintage flash, but LS exposures do not seem possible.

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I use a cable with a pc socket on one end and a hot shoe with 1/4 20 mount on the other ( I have the 6x7 90 LS)
https://app.box.com/s/44lzyxxte8c3v1ipj2kj
So you are using the 165LS on one of the Pentax 67 camera versions? Or have you been able to use it with an adapter on either the 645D/Z or K-mount?
08-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as I know neither Pentax 67 LS lenses will work in the LS mode with anything between the camera and lens. This includes extensions tubes, rear converters, both the 645 to 6x7 & the K-Mount to 6x7 adapters.

The manual for the 6x7 to K-Mount adapter also states this.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 08-15-2017 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Correction
08-15-2017, 06:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
I think you are on to something. I found the right connector by using an old Sunpak 522 vintage flash, but LS exposures do not seem possible.

---------- Post added 08-15-17 at 08:07 PM ----------

So you are using the 165LS on one of the Pentax 67 camera versions? Or have you been able to use it with an adapter on either the 645D/Z or K-mount?
Hi Ivan,
I have the 6x7 90 LS. In year 2012 I made my own 6x7 adaptor for that lens on the lathe, for a metal box camera I built.
I have made other 6x7 adaptors for the ordinary ( non leaf shutter or barrel ) Takumar 6x7 lenses for use on the Speed Graphic.

The 6x7 leaf shutter lenses ( there were only the 90 and 165) require an adaptor with one additional feature, compared to the barrel lenses.
I recall I have described or discussed the details on PF possibly with photos of the adaptor maybe in 2012 or 2013.
That additional feature ( I recall) holds the aperture wide open and i don't want to open my camera to check that tonight.

Then the lens is autonomous , it will switch the rear knurl to "AUTO" and the controls on the front of the lens will work as follows:
looking forward from back of camera:

First ensure the firing knurl ( under lens) is fully anticlockwise exposing letter "S" and not "U".
Gently cock ( charge) the shutter by rotating the double cocking knurls clockwise.
Remove dark slide ( or in your case, open the shutter on the dslr for a long time)
Fire the shutter by pushing the firing knurl anticlockwise towards "S"

Also the lens can be fired by an international taper standard ( not early USA parallel standard) release cable screwed into the lens, as shown in photo I posted above.

Cocking the shutter does not allow light through it,

Hope this helps and I will be very interested to hear how you make out on the Pentax dslr.
09-12-2017, 04:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Ivan,
I have the 6x7 90 LS. In year 2012 I made my own 6x7 adaptor for that lens on the lathe, for a metal box camera I built.
I have made other 6x7 adaptors for the ordinary ( non leaf shutter or barrel ) Takumar 6x7 lenses for use on the Speed Graphic.

The 6x7 leaf shutter lenses ( there were only the 90 and 165) require an adaptor with one additional feature, compared to the barrel lenses.
I recall I have described or discussed the details on PF possibly with photos of the adaptor maybe in 2012 or 2013.
That additional feature ( I recall) holds the aperture wide open and i don't want to open my camera to check that tonight.

Then the lens is autonomous , it will switch the rear knurl to "AUTO" and the controls on the front of the lens will work as follows:
looking forward from back of camera:

First ensure the firing knurl ( under lens) is fully anticlockwise exposing letter "S" and not "U".
Gently cock ( charge) the shutter by rotating the double cocking knurls clockwise.
Remove dark slide ( or in your case, open the shutter on the dslr for a long time)
Fire the shutter by pushing the firing knurl anticlockwise towards "S"

Also the lens can be fired by an international taper standard ( not early USA parallel standard) release cable screwed into the lens, as shown in photo I posted above.

Cocking the shutter does not allow light through it,

Hope this helps and I will be very interested to hear how you make out on the Pentax dslr.
Thank you for your comments and explanations. Using the 165 on my K-1 and/or 645D may be a bit more complicated than I am prepared to deal with! I do have the 645 75mm LS operating correctly in its native environment on the 645N and 645D.