Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #1

Slightly OT: Lenses not showing up in Bridge CS Metadata info

Hi, This morning I took a lot of photos and because I was doing homework for a photo class I was changing lenses often. When I loaded them onto my computer to look at them on Bridge CS4 at first my 18-135 lens was showing up in the Lens category (right under the Flash category) but the 55-300 lens was not showing up at all. The next time I looked at the photos, neither lens was showing up. I'd really like to have a record of which lens I was using. I'm using version 3.0.0.464 of Bridge, Photoshop Elements 14, and my mac is using Sierra 10.12.6. I know this isn't really a Pentax question but I thought somebody here might know how to solve this silly problem. Thanks. Joyce Keay

08-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
Hi, This morning I took a lot of photos and because I was doing homework for a photo class I was changing lenses often. When I loaded them onto my computer to look at them on Bridge CS4 at first my 18-135 lens was showing up in the Lens category (right under the Flash category) but the 55-300 lens was not showing up at all. The next time I looked at the photos, neither lens was showing up. I'd really like to have a record of which lens I was using. I'm using version 3.0.0.464 of Bridge, Photoshop Elements 14, and my mac is using Sierra 10.12.6. I know this isn't really a Pentax question but I thought somebody here might know how to solve this silly problem. Thanks. Joyce Keay
Try downloading bridge CC (it's free). It's possible/likely that they stopped updating the version you're using, because they recently also stopped updating CS6.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try downloading bridge CC (it's free). It's possible/likely that they stopped updating the version you're using, because they recently also stopped updating CS6.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. I think I need Bridge CSS because I have a Mac but cannot find a download page for it. Got any ideas? I did download Bridge CC and the icon is sitting on my dock but it is not opening. I'm actually surprised my Mac allowed the download if it is a PC app.

Last edited by Joyce Keay; 08-18-2017 at 07:27 AM.
08-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I think I need Bridge CSS because I have a Mac but cannot find a download page for it. Got any ideas? I did download Bridge CC and the icon is sitting on my dock but it is not opening. I'm actually surprised my Mac allowed the download if it is a PC app.
Adobe has a CC app through which you can download and install everything else. I think that would be a good starting point:

Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
Adobe has a CC app through which you can download and install everything else. I think that would be a good starting point:

Download Adobe Creative Cloud apps | Free Adobe Creative Cloud trial
Hi Adam, I've downloaded Bridge CC2017 and checked to see if my 55-300mm lens is listed on the photos where I *know* I used that lens. It is still not listed. Metadata says my 18-135mm lens was used for all my photos. Weird. I've posted the question on the Bridge forum page. Thanks. Joyce Keay

Last edited by Joyce Keay; 08-18-2017 at 02:25 PM.
08-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Out of curiosity, what does our online tool say for one of those photos?

Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date

Adam

08-18-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

Original Poster

Hi, I uploaded one of the shots I knew was shot with the lens that isn't showing up in metadata. Here's the info:
Shutter count: 5020, date manufactured: 4/15/16 and lens - Bingo! It shows the 55-300mm lens!

Also I discovered when looking for a photo that had not been processed in photoshop elements (I haven't started using Photoshop yet although I have downloaded it), that if the photo has not been edited, the 55-300 lens shows up but once it has been processed it no longer shows up! So why on earth does it disappear after the photo has been edited? Thanks for your interest. Hopefully we can solve the problem.

08-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It could be that if PS doesn't recognize the lens ID, it gets stripped. But is that still showing up in the exif checker here?

Adam

08-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #9

Original Poster

Hi again, I downloaded a second image that had been processed with Elements and the 55-300 lens showed up. Then I went through my various folders of images and found one folder where neither lens showed up in metadata. In other folders both lenses show up. I give up. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the discrepancy. Let's close this topic. I thank you very much for your assistance. Joyce Keay
08-19-2017, 11:09 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi again, I downloaded a second image that had been processed with Elements and the 55-300 lens showed up. Then I went through my various folders of images and found one folder where neither lens showed up in metadata. In other folders both lenses show up. I give up. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for the discrepancy. Let's close this topic. I thank you very much for your assistance. Joyce Keay
Are you using "save for web" by any chance?

Adam