Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 12:59 PM   #16

Why not buy an adaptor to enable the use of AA batteries. Then whilst the battery is charging you can use the camera without fear of losing settings if you use quality NiMH or lithium AA batteries.
Just my two bobs worth.

08-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spinno Quote
Why not buy an adaptor to enable the use of AA batteries. Then whilst the battery is charging you can use the camera without fear of losing settings if you use quality NiMH or lithium AA batteries.
Just my two bobs worth.
I have spare AA batteries and I use them most of the time. It's just the practice of keeping one battery in the camera whilst charging the other is new to me. I'm grateful that fellow Pentaxians have pointed that out to me. There's always a new thing to learn.
08-20-2017, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To answer your earlier question, I believe the entire camera factory resets if left without charge long enough. It's been awhile since I let mine discharge, once I figured out what was going on.
08-20-2017, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I keep a spare battery for each of my cameras so they're never without power for longer than it takes for a battery swap. For my K200D and K-x, which both take only AA batteries, I keep a spare set of Eneloops in the bag ready to go. I have a AA adapter for the K30, so it has double coverage from the proprietary battery and the AA's. For whatever bizarre reason, I tend to keep the AA batteries in the K30 and use the proprietary battery as a backup. Somehow, the camera just feels more solid that way.

08-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #20
Pentaxian

May I say, at the risk of possibly sounding a little patronising, that I am frequently surprised by the number of people who buy SOTA electronic equipment costing more than my annual pension, and do not think about spare batteries ? I have a K10 and a K20, which fortunately take the same batteries, and a battery grip on each, so two batteries per camera. I also have six spare batteries. I charge each of them once a month, and they are numbered in sets, so their usage is also rotated in the cameras.

I always carry 4 extra sets of charged AA batteries for flashguns, as well as two spare sets of Duracells for my ringflash, which does not take re-chargeables, and again I discharge and charge these monthly. On two recent occasions I have helped fellow photogs whose batteries had drained and who had no spares - I myself have never lost a shot through lack of battery power (many other reasons, yes, but not that !).

This approach may seem OTT, but to me it is common sense - in the days of film I'd carry ten extra rolls per body (4 bodies - med B&W, fast B&W, slow slide, med slide) plus rechargeable batteries. Why ever risk missing a shot through poor preparation.
08-21-2017, 04:21 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
May I say, at the risk of possibly sounding a little patronising, that I am frequently surprised by the number of people who buy SOTA electronic equipment costing more than my annual pension, and do not think about spare batteries ? I have a K10 and a K20, which fortunately take the same batteries, and a battery grip on each, so two batteries per camera. I also have six spare batteries. I charge each of them once a month, and they are numbered in sets, so their usage is also rotated in the cameras.

I always carry 4 extra sets of charged AA batteries for flashguns, as well as two spare sets of Duracells for my ringflash, which does not take re-chargeables, and again I discharge and charge these monthly. On two recent occasions I have helped fellow photogs whose batteries had drained and who had no spares - I myself have never lost a shot through lack of battery power (many other reasons, yes, but not that !).

This approach may seem OTT, but to me it is common sense - in the days of film I'd carry ten extra rolls per body (4 bodies - med B&W, fast B&W, slow slide, med slide) plus rechargeable batteries. Why ever risk missing a shot through poor preparation.
Dear sir, thank you for your kind reply. In my case, I do have a spare battery which is the proprietary one that came with the camera in the box. I'm sure the camera I have cost much less than your annual pension. I had someone buy it for me in Japan so that the cost was the lowest out there.
The challenge I occurred was not missing a shot due to a lack of battery power. I just didn't know that I should keep a charged battery in the camera all the time, as I would lose some settings when I took it out. Cheers!

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 04:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I keep a spare battery for each of my cameras so they're never without power for longer than it takes for a battery swap. For my K200D and K-x, which both take only AA batteries, I keep a spare set of Eneloops in the bag ready to go. I have a AA adapter for the K30, so it has double coverage from the proprietary battery and the AA's. For whatever bizarre reason, I tend to keep the AA batteries in the K30 and use the proprietary battery as a backup. Somehow, the camera just feels more solid that way.
Thank you for sharing your practice. I prefer the AA batteries, too. My rechargeable eneloops have served me well in the past 5 years and I've just got some new batch. They're also much more eco-friendly. The weight feels right in the hand as opposed to the proprietary one when I put it in my K-r. As silly as it sounds, I didn't use the proprietary battery much since I first purchased my camera. I just left it there in the bag as a back-up. Now I should use that one more often, at least for the purpose of the battery swap.

---------- Post added 08-21-17 at 04:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
To answer your earlier question, I believe the entire camera factory resets if left without charge long enough. It's been awhile since I let mine discharge, once I figured out what was going on.
Thank you so much for the confirmation! I will be more mindful about this in the future.

Last edited by lushdimple11; 08-21-2017 at 04:33 AM.
08-21-2017, 06:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Glad all our suggestions were helpful - look forward to seeing some of your images when you can post them.

08-21-2017, 06:14 AM   #23

Original Poster
Here you are some, from my recent trip to Indonesia last week.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-21-2017, 07:24 AM   #24
Pentaxian

WoW ! Thank you
08-21-2017, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Don't think the camera looses all it's custom settings, it only looses Date and time, others are stored in the camera's permanent memory.

My old K-2000 does the same, even if I could change the batteries in the fastest record time I could, it looses just date and time, all custom settings are intact.

Minor annoyance, camera still takes great pictures.
08-21-2017, 12:54 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
Don't think the camera looses all it's custom settings, it only looses Date and time, others are stored in the camera's permanent memory.

My old K-2000 does the same, even if I could change the batteries in the fastest record time I could, it looses just date and time, all custom settings are intact.

Minor annoyance, camera still takes great pictures.
Thanks for the clarification. It's been a while since I let mine sit without batteries long enough to lose the data. And I agree, it's a slight annoyance, but doesn't affect the performance of the camera.
08-22-2017, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your all advice! Most appreciated!
06-11-2023, 10:02 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery
Date & Time screen on Pentax K-r

I have a Pentax K-r that seems to have the need to reenter the date and time upon every battery change. I read the forums descriptions on this, my question is it an internal battery or a capacitor that holds the date and time functions?

The reason I ask this question is if it is a battery, will it eventually corrode and leak inside the camera?

Other than that I don't care if I have to reenter upon every battery change.