Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 01:01 AM   #1

Question on K-r start srcreen

Hi guys

I wonder if you could help explain the strange setting that has appeared on my Pentax K-r. Every time I remove the battery out (for charging), the camera start screen will require me to reset the date and time as soon as re-insert the battery back in. It is time-consuming to do this whenever I turn on my camera. What could be the causes? And is there any way to sort it out once for all?

Many thanks

08-19-2017, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lushdimple11 Quote
Hi guys

I wonder if you could help explain the strange setting that has appeared on my Pentax K-r. Every time I remove the battery out (for charging), the camera start screen will require me to reset the date and time as soon as re-insert the battery back in. It is time-consuming to do this whenever I turn on my camera. What could be the causes? And is there any way to sort it out once for all?

Many thanks
If the battery is out for an extended period of time, the camera will "restart". Do you have a second battery? How long do you have the battery out before this happens? I'm not sure how long the internal is suppose to retain information.
08-19-2017, 02:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

The camera has a small internal battery intended to retain settings like time and date when the main battery is removed. It would seem it's either dead through age, in which case it will not be worth changing it (if indeed it's possible) as it'll have be be done by a service company, and the cost is likely to be more than the camera's worth, or its lost its charge because the main battery has been left out too long.
08-19-2017, 02:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
If the battery is out for an extended period of time, the camera will "restart". Do you have a second battery? How long do you have the battery out before this happens? I'm not sure how long the internal is suppose to retain information.
The battery was out for a few hours (for charging). I put it back in as soon as it was full.

08-19-2017, 02:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The battery was out for a few hours (for charging). I put it back in as soon as it was full.
That's the reason. If you leave the battery out for more than a few minutes, that's usually long enough for the internal backup battery to deplete.

The best approach is to buy a second battery. Keep one in the camera, and the spare fully charged - then, when you remove the camera battery to re-charge it, put the spare in the camera
08-19-2017, 02:36 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
The camera has a small internal battery intended to retain settings like time and date when the main battery is removed. It would seem it's either dead through age, in which case it will not be worth changing it (if indeed it's possible) as it'll have be be done by a service company, and the cost is likely to be more than the camera's worth, or its lost its charge because the main battery has been left out too long.
Hi JohnX, The battery was out for a few hours for charging. I put it back in as soon as it's fully charged. Thus, I think the first assumption is more likely. I've used this camera for around 5 years. Is the dead internal battery an indication that the camera has served its course and I need to upgrade to another one?

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 02:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That's the reason. If you leave the battery out for more than a few minutes, that's usually long enough for the internal backup battery to deplete.

The best approach is to buy a second battery. Keep one in the camera, and the spare fully charged - then, when you remove the camera battery to re-charge it, put the spare in the camera
This phenomenon has happened lately during my trip to Indonesia. It never happened to the camera before, when I also took out the battery for charging.

Last edited by lushdimple11; 08-27-2017 at 05:04 AM. Reason: typo
08-19-2017, 02:45 AM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

This phenomenon has happened lately during my trip to Indonesia. It never happened to the camera before, when I also took out the battery for charging.
It's quite possible that, with age, the internal battery is storing less of a charge than previously...

I would run a test:

- Charge the battery fully
- Put it in the camera, set the date and time, then switch the camera off and leave it for a few hours
- Now take the battery out for one minute
- Put the battery back into the camera and switch it on

Does the camera request the date and time again? If yes, then it's probably time to replace the camera. If not, then I'd just get a spare battery and be sure to put that in the camera when you remove the depleted one. A minute is more than long enough to grab the spare battery and install it in the camera

For what it's worth, I rarely leave any of my cameras without a partially-charged battery in them, and I always swap in a fully charged battery when I take one out to recharge it.

08-19-2017, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi JohnX, The battery was out for a few hours for charging. I put it back in as soon as it's fully charged. Thus, I think the first assumption is more likely. I've used this camera for around 5 years. Is the dead internal memory an indication that the camera has served its course and I need to upgrade to another one?

Should the suggestion of keeping a spare charged battery for a quick swap not enable the internal memory to keep day and date data, it might be a good reason to update to a new camera.
I shall be looking out for just a scenario..........though somehow I doubt it will get past the wife!
08-19-2017, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an old *ist DL and I have about a two hour window these days with it. If I take the batteries out for more than that, I have to re-enter the information. I believe it had something in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 hours when I purchased it. Does it mean the camera is done for? Not on your life, I still like using it and it works fine. The internal battery only keeps the stored information, and it recharges off your main battery.

But for me... that's an excuse for a second camera body...
Just saying.
08-19-2017, 04:55 AM   #10

Original Poster
It's quite possible that, with age, the internal battery is storing less of a charge than previously...

I would run a test:

- Charge the battery fully
- Put it in the camera, set the date and time, then switch the camera off and leave it for a few hours
- Now take the battery out for one minute
- Put the battery back into the camera and switch it on

Does the camera request the date and time again? If yes, then it's probably time to replace the camera. If not, then I'd just get a spare battery and be sure to put that in the camera when you remove the depleted one. A minute is more than long enough to grab the spare battery and install it in the camera

For what it's worth, I rarely leave any of my cameras without a partially-charged battery in them, and I always swap in a fully charged battery when I take one out to recharge it.
Thank you for further details. Now I'm curious about what is the best thing to do when I don't use the camera regularly. Let's say I use it once a month or once every 3 months when I travel. Should I leave the (fully charged, partially charged) battery in it?
08-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for further details. Now I'm curious about what is the best thing to do when I don't use the camera regularly. Let's say I use it once a month or once every 3 months when I travel. Should I leave the (fully charged, partially charged) battery in it?
I do with mine. If you're camera's internal backup battery depletes completely, any settings you'd changed will be lost. With a battery fitted, the internal battery will keep charged from that and use up relatively-little power from the main battery...
08-19-2017, 05:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I have an old *ist DL and I have about a two hour window these days with it. If I take the batteries out for more than that, I have to re-enter the information. I believe it had something in the neighborhood of 8 to 10 hours when I purchased it. Does it mean the camera is done for? Not on your life, I still like using it and it works fine. The internal battery only keeps the stored information, and it recharges off your main battery.

But for me... that's an excuse for a second camera body...
Just saying.
When you said re-entering information, did you mean all settings or just the date and time? I'm looking into upgrading to another Pentax body, too.

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 05:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Should the suggestion of keeping a spare charged battery for a quick swap not enable the internal memory to keep day and date data, it might be a good reason to update to a new camera.
I shall be looking out for just a scenario..........though somehow I doubt it will get past the wife!
I'm thinking the same.

---------- Post added 08-19-17 at 05:50 AM ----------

I do with mine. If you're camera's internal backup battery depletes completely, any settings you'd changed will be lost. With a battery fitted, the internal battery will keep charged from that and use up relatively-little power from the main battery...
Thank you. It's a good practice to keep in mind, for my future gear. Even when you leave the battery in the camera body, it will discharge after some time. Do you take it out and charge it once in awhile. And for the settings will be lost after the internal and external batteries' power run out, did you mean the camera will switch back to default settings?
08-19-2017, 06:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can buy a spare battery. I think some Pentax DSLRs still use the same battery as the K-r. I think the KP is one of them, so you can use the spare battery even on the next camera. This way the camera would only be without battery for a couple seconds.

I agree with the above posts about internal battery, but I think its just a capacitor. Still, same principle; over time it may lose effectiveness. It probably won't get any better.
We had threads about this issue with various DSLRs before, you can search for threads if any has an answer for you
08-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #14

As noted in the above discussion most likely the backup battery or super capacitor to keep the clock running has lost charge holding capacity. The fix is to replace the battery/accumulator/capacitor. Since this is soldered to the main board and requires disassembly it is not consider user changeable. The work around as noted above is to swap in a charged main battery. However the backup source main be so degraded that it doesn't hold charge long enough for even that fastest swap.

If I remember correctly the older Pentax DSLR use this Seiko battery/accumulator. Newer models use a super capacitor such as this one.

The advantage of super capacitors over batteries/accumulators is a longer service life although they may not supply backup power for as long a period.

See these threads:
Clock resets with battery change - PentaxForums.com
Date and time lost without batery - PentaxForums.com
08-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #15

Original Poster
Many thanks. Does the depletion of internal battery affect the date and time only? Will the camera adjust my customised settings back to default settings, too?