Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2017, 03:07 AM   #1

K5 II and Audio from Tascam DR70D - how to get it going?

Hi there,

I have a Tascam DR70D audio recorder which I want to use as main audio capturing device. The recorder has a stereo jack output which I connect to the camera's mic input. Big plus: the recorder can be set to send a slate signal so it is easy to align video and audio later on. Plus, with its built-in mics and extra connectors, it offers plenty of options with high audio quality. One can even use a boom pole with some real good mic.

While this used to work nicely with the K7 I used to have, the K5 II seems to ignore that there's something plugged in. It simply uses its internal mic. Which I wouldn't mind since I grab the audio separately anyways but then again... I got this slate button on the recorder and I want to use it!

Is my K5 II broken? Or is there another trick that I don't get?

Thank you for your help.

Best
Docē

08-19-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried plugging the recorder into the K-5 II and then turning the K-5 II on? I know with my K-3 with headphone socket, I need to have the headphones plugged in BEFORE I switch on the camera otherwise the headphones are not recognised.

Just a thought.

Regards

Chris
08-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
CDW
Veteran Member

Is there a menu option for selecting mic input or internal mic?
08-20-2017, 01:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
Plugin in while the camera is switched off does not help. Also there is no option in any menu. The manual says that the K5 II should do it automatically.

08-20-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

are you using a TRS or TRRS cable?
08-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
I use a TRS cable. The manual reads that a stereo plug is recommended. I'm not sure if the connector in the camera is TRRS.
09-27-2017, 01:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
It might well be that my K5 II is broken. Ricoh Germany apparently do not want to be contacted for support, I could simply send the camera and they would do something (?) and charge a lot probably... I cannot test it with a TRS mic, I only have studio mics and stuff with XLR that are not compatible (but would work smoothly via the Tascam recorder). The video experience in Pentax DSLRs is all but stunning but this now is really sad... and together with the HDMI behaviour it's a shame. I guess I'll have to rent some Nikon or Canon gear for the real jobs eventually.