Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2017, 05:57 AM   #1

Pentax K30 live view dilema

I am using pk tether for my K30. My eyes are old and thought it might give me a live view so I could focus on a bigger image but it does not. I am using the mini usb to regular usb to connect. Do I need mini to HDMI? I don't know what I need. I have not used the camera and a laptop together before.
Any help would be appreciated.
I have been imaging sunspots and can't quite get them in focus. I can't use my glasses while shooting.

08-20-2017, 08:03 AM   #2

I don't think PK_tether supports live view. Indeed the website says :
QuoteQuote:
Please don’t use PK_Tether in film and LiveView mode – could leads to freeze camera and program.
And support of the K-30/50 is poor at best.

I don't know if pkTriggerCord supports live view but at least it lists the K-30 as supported (K-50 with bugs):

pkTriggerCord
08-20-2017, 08:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'll check out the other program. PKTether was working fine just no live view.
I went to Best Buy to see if I could find a cable to go from the K30 to HDMI but this store has become useless. I have not been to one in several years.

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 11:29 AM ----------

No live view with pktriggercord either. The program works but I think I like pktether better and it seemed to work for me. Oh I just realized what was meant by your quote. LOL I'm thinking about tomorrow and taking pics of the sun. I suppose being able to view the pics instantly will work. I can adjust focus if needed by viewing the pics. I hope anyway. Now I'm having an issue with my batteries. My Pentax battery is fine but the NOS batteries aren't lasting long. Junk batteries.
08-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildrat Quote
No live view with pktriggercord either. The program works but I think I like pktether better and it seemed to work for me. Oh I just realized what was meant by your quote. LOL I'm thinking about tomorrow and taking pics of the sun. I suppose being able to view the pics instantly will work. I can adjust focus if needed by viewing the pics. I hope anyway. Now I'm having an issue with my batteries. My Pentax battery is fine but the NOS batteries aren't lasting long. Junk batteries.
Live view magnification / instant review is a good way to go about ensuring the focus is good. Live view tethering is only supported by newer models (>= 2015), I'm afraid.

I always recommend sticking to the OEM battery because as you pointed out, it's the only one that lasts as long as it should. But there are some decent third-party choices, such as wasabi.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wildrat Quote
Oh I just realized what was meant by your quote. LOL I'm thinking about tomorrow and taking pics of the sun.
Hmmmm...Remember that the camera will need protection similar to that you provide for your eyes. About five seconds of unprotected live view and you have a fire on the sensor.

Steve
08-20-2017, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Live view magnification / instant review is a good way to go about ensuring the focus is good. Live view tethering is only supported by newer models (>= 2015), I'm afraid.

I always recommend sticking to the OEM battery because as you pointed out, it's the only one that lasts as long as it should. But there are some decent third-party choices, such as wasabi.
Yep, my K30 is from not long after they came out. I have used Wasabi batteries before with other gadgets. The The ones for the K30 are Powerextra batteries. It could be an age thing. I have noticed with the lithium batteries of inferior manufacturing that they tend to leak internally and either give up the ghost or loose capacity like these are doing. Time for new batteries. LOL
Talking about batteries reminded me to upgrade firmware on the camera. I went from 1.00 to 1.06 in a single leap. I don't notice or see a difference. LOL

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hmmmm...Remember that the camera will need protection similar to that you provide for your eyes. About five seconds of unprotected live view and you have a fire on the sensor.

Steve
Yes, I have a solar filter for the camera and my 10 inch reflector. Not only would there be a fire on the sensor my retina would be fried/boiled, sizzled. LOL I have been taking a number of photos using the camera and camera/scope combination. The only real issue I am having is focusing for a good crisp pic. They are close but when the astronomy forum people look at them they say they are slightly out of focus. I readjusted the diopter today so maybe that will help.

Last edited by Wildrat; 08-20-2017 at 11:40 AM.
08-20-2017, 12:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
I went ahead and ordered an AC power adapter and the micro hdmi to hdmi cable Adam suggested to me. If I'm out taking pics of the sun and night sky the power adapter will be better than the constant changing of batteries.

08-20-2017, 08:05 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I use the "Link Depot 6' Gold Plated HDMI to HDMI Micro High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet" to view my K-3II display on a monitor/tv.
08-21-2017, 02:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank You all for your help. The eclipse will start here in Mobile at 12 central. I am going for a bike ride for a couple hours first. Then I'll carry that 10 inch reflector out and set up everything and hopefully clouds and rain will stay away.