Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2017, 08:30 AM   #1

Broken lens or just the autofocus?

Hi! I have a Pentax K50 with SMC-FA 28-80mm. It works fine, until one day, my camera bag was squished in a very crowded train (its a very packed train, not as crowded as the Tokyo morning rush). Every time I turned on my camera the 'Input Focal Length' screen come up and I lost the ability to auto focus. There are other functions that I cant use while using this lens including using Live View Mode, Can't change ISO, heck I can't even open the menu or info. When I tried taking pictures, it works fine. I have to use automatic setting, yet I have to manually focus the lens. I think my problem is very similar to this thread here.

What could probably go wrong with the lens? Also, how do you clean the contacts on the lens?

Oh also, after several shots (around 10-20 shots) the autofocus somehow work again, but then if you turn off the camera, we are back to square one.

Thank you for your help,
Mik Antonov

08-21-2017, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you try with another lens if it does the same ?
08-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trada Quote
Also, how do you clean the contacts on the lens?

I use a lens cloth that I bought as a batch of 5 from ebay (I think they came from China) for a few pennies...but maybe I should find out what I should be using myself.
ps, I don't then use that cloth on glass.
08-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Can you try with another lens if it does the same ?
It works fine using kit lenses (autofocus, changing iso, liveview, opening menu, etc)

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I use a lens cloth that I bought as a batch of 5 from ebay (I think they came from China) for a few pennies...but maybe I should find out what I should be using myself.
ps, I don't then use that cloth on glass.
Hmm I see. Thank you. When I look up the problem on google, many people said cleaning the contacts might fix it