Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2017, 03:30 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Exposure

Cannot understand why a camera I have on loan for the moment seemed to be fine, but I have now noticed (not all the time) that I can take the same pic twice
with no difference and yet one will look quite darker than the other. No alteration of settings A Pentax K-50 & with the 18-55mm lens thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
08-22-2017, 03:53 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Try timer button on back of camera above OK button on 4-way controller, if the +/- icon is highlighted you need scroll over to the left and select either sing or continuous shooting mode. Otherwise it will be somewhere in you menu settings...good luck.
08-22-2017, 03:57 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not exposure that is wrong as both pictures are at 1/500 f9 ISO 100. Something is at fault in how the camera is producing the jpeg.
08-22-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Might be the beginning of the famous K-50/K-30 aperture block failure.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first! - PentaxForums.com

08-22-2017, 04:21 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to me after reading the exif data camera settings for both shots and finding it to be identical, I'm afraid you might be experiencing the first signs of failure of the coil inside the camera that controls the position of the aperture diaphragm inside the lens. A defect which is quite common with the K30, K50 & K500 and is well documented on this forum. I suggest you bring your camera to you nearest repair center to have the coil replaced, especially if the camera is still under some sort of warranty

If the camera is no longer under warranty and you search the forum, you will find out what has to be done to "Fix and or work around the problem" or if you or you know someone who is tech-savie and good a fixing things, there are detailed instructions for that as well.
08-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The problem looks like it is not the lens. It is in the camera body itself.

See this video:

It occurs after the warranty period and you have to do it your self.
08-22-2017, 06:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
It looks to me after reading the exif data camera settings for both shots and finding it to be identical, I'm afraid you might be experiencing the first signs of failure of the coil inside the camera that controls the position of the aperture diaphragm inside the lens. A defect which is quite common with the K30, K50 & K500 and is well documented on this forum. I suggest you bring your camera to you nearest repair center to have the coil replaced, especially if the camera is still under some sort of warranty

If the camera is no longer under warranty and you search the forum, you will find out what has to be done to "Fix and or work around the problem" or if you or you know someone who is tech-savie and good a fixing things, there are detailed instructions for that as well.
Thanks so much

---------- Post added 08-22-17 at 06:01 PM ----------

Thanks for that

---------- Post added 08-22-17 at 06:04 PM ----------

Great- thanks heaps

---------- Post added 08-22-17 at 06:05 PM ----------

Thanks a lot

---------- Post added 08-22-17 at 06:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
The problem looks like it is not the lens. It is in the camera body itself.

See this video: How to repair DSLR Pentax K-50 with "Black pictures" problem - YouTube

It occurs after the warranty period and you have to do it your self.
Ha, not for me- no way..cheers, good video

08-25-2017, 01:53 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Do you shoot in jpg mode, if so Extended Bracketing option is available, could it be on - if so turn it off and the problem will go away.
08-25-2017, 02:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photomax7 Quote
Do you shoot in jpg mode, if so Extended Bracketing option is available, could it be on - if so turn it off and the problem will go away.
Look at the exif data !