Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

Focus points in viewfinder are decentered

Hi! I noticed on my K5IIs that the focus points displayed in the viewfinder are slightly decentered (see image). Normally it doesn't make any difference but in close focusing is very annoying(all the focus points are decentered not just the center point).

Is anyone having the same issue or knowing how to solve it?
Thanks!

Attached Images

08-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

That is pretty severe. This is a shot in the dark, but is there any chance that your focus screen has been removed and not properly seated when it was reinstalled? FWIW, the actual AF point is where it is supposed to be. The indicator is what is off.

Steve
08-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like the focus point indicator is out of whack.
08-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for reply!
I bought it used so I don't know if the focus screen was been removed. But if you measure the image with a rule it looks like the focus screen is where it has to be. And the red square is effectively not centered. I made some tests and I think the camera focus exactly in the center and not where the red square is.

So it seems that the problem is only in the red square and not in the focus system. But it shouldn't be decentered and is still a problem.
I don't know how the focus system work in terms of the red square or if I can fix it myself.

08-25-2017, 01:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Madoz Quote
Thanks for reply!
I bought it used so I don't know if the focus screen was been removed. But if you measure the image with a rule it looks like the focus screen is where it has to be. And the red square is effectively not centered. I made some tests and I think the camera focus exactly in the center and not where the red square is.

So it seems that the problem is only in the red square and not in the focus system. But it shouldn't be decentered and is still a problem.
I don't know how the focus system work in terms of the red square or if I can fix it myself.
I could be wrong, but I think the autofocus indicator lights are part of the viewfinder assembly itself, and somewhat independent of the focusing screen.

I think the assembly just in front of the pentaprism is where the indicators for the focus points are:
08-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
Looks like it isn't a easy fix. I'll send the camera to service and meantime I'll disable the autofocus indicator so it doesn't bother.
Thanks!
08-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timw4mail Quote
I could be wrong, but I think the autofocus indicator lights are part of the viewfinder assembly itself, and somewhat independent of the focusing screen.

I think the assembly just in front of the pentaprism is where the indicators for the focus points are:
You are correct regarding the focus screen and the red indicator lights, though if the screen is not seated correctly, the brackets may not be centered. I won't go into details about how I know that

That being said, the indicator light in the photo just doesn't look right. Service time!

Steve