Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2017, 05:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
K-S2 Flickering Video

What is the cause of flickering video of K-S 2 ?. The shake reduction is "on" the default flicker reduction default is 50 Hz ( used in USA ) camera uses DC current not AC. Anyone had solved the problem?

08-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
What is the cause of flickering video of K-S 2 ?. The shake reduction is "on" the default flicker reduction default is 50 Hz ( used in USA ) camera uses DC current not AC. Anyone had solved the problem?
USA is 60Hz. Perhaps that is part of the cause.


Steve
08-27-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
roberrl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 312
Most would set shake reduction off, it can produce some unpleasant effects.
08-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
USA is 60Hz. Perhaps that is part of the cause.


Steve
60 Hz even if it is used in setting, it uses DC and it is still shaky. Have you tried it?

---------- Post added 08-27-17 at 09:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
Most would set shake reduction off, it can produce some unpleasant effects.
Unfamiliar mode shake reduction to " off " , same result. I perceived that shaking is caused by lens motor. Is your camera shake to "off " and do good video?

08-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
60 Hz even if it is used in setting, it uses DC and it is still shaky. Have you tried it?
Flicker or shake?

The Flicker Reduction feature adjusts the rear LCD scan rate to minimize display flicker caused by interference with artificial lighting powered by AC current. Most of the world has AC line frequency of 50Hz. In the U.S. we use 60Hz. Your camera is set to 50Hz by default, though 60Hz would normally be recommended for the U.S.

If you are having camera shake problems, the video shake reduction feature may be helpful, but with potential for "jello" effect. You have tried it both ways. Alternatively, support the camera on a tripod. If your problem is neither of the these, it would be helpful to provide an example clip showing what is wrong.


Steve
08-28-2017, 04:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster

The Flicker Reduction feature adjusts the rear LCD scan rate to minimize display flicker caused by interference with artificial lighting powered by AC current. Most of the world has AC line frequency of 50Hz. In the U.S. we use 60Hz. Your camera is set to 50Hz by default, though 60Hz would normally be recommended for the U.S.

If you are having camera shake problems, the video shake reduction feature may be helpful, but with potential for "jello" effect. You have tried it both ways. Alternatively, support the camera on a tripod. If your problem is neither of the these, it would be helpful to provide an example clip showing what is wrong.


Steve[/quote]


Posted on my friends vimeo site.
Video in auto mode, Shake reduction "on", Flicker reduction 60 Hz, Pentax 50-200 mm lens, hand held, sound is heard as noisy video maybe caused by - any idea which came from?
What is wrong in this K S2 video?
08-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
Scan rate would mean select the lowest ...fps, the default is the lowest 30 fps. pls. clarify, if in camera LCD or computer LCD?

Anyone can give me Pentax tech support?


Last edited by Penview52; 08-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
08-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by Penview52 Quote
What is wrong in this K S2 video?
  • The squiggly image looks to be interaction between the shake reduction and an overly shaky hand. Turn SR off and put the camera on a tripod. If the video is still jerky, camera service may be in order.
  • The noise is simply room noise and camera noises amplified. Put the internal microphone on a low manual setting and the noise should disappear. (Use the control panel for this task.)
  • Lastly, the Flicker Reduction setting does not affect video recording quality. It should be set to 60Hz for regions where that is the AC standard. This is done to reduce screen flicker on the rear LCD. Again, it has nothing to do with video recording quality. How to set is included in the "Recommended Settings" section of the in-depth K-S2 review on this site LINK and it is a pity that the user manual has no explanation of what this setting does.
As for the support number, I believe that Ricoh Imaging is fielding all support inquiries in the U.S. through the Web form on its Web site:
Online Support
If your camera is a recent purchase (within the last 60 days), you may want to contact your dealer for help. They should offer to exchange the camera if they feel there is something broken.


Steve
08-28-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2017
Photos: Albums
Posts: 308
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
  • The squiggly image looks to be interaction between the shake reduction and an overly shaky hand. Turn SR off and put the camera on a tripod. If the video is still jerky, camera service may be in order.
  • The noise is simply room noise and camera noises amplified. Put the internal microphone on a low manual setting and the noise should disappear. (Use the control panel for this task.)
  • Lastly, the Flicker Reduction setting does not affect video recording quality. It should be set to 60Hz for regions where that is the AC standard. This is done to reduce screen flicker on the rear LCD. Again, it has nothing to do with video recording quality. How to set is included in the "Recommended Settings" section of the in-depth K-S2 review on this site LINK and it is a pity that the user manual has no explanation of what this setting does.
As for the support number, I believe that Ricoh Imaging is fielding all support inquiries in the U.S. through the Web form on its Web site:
Online Support
If your camera is a recent purchase (within the last 60 days), you may want to contact your dealer for help. They should offer to exchange the camera if they feel there is something broken.


Steve
The shake reduction is off, the same result. Mounting on a tripod all the time is not for handy camera. The noise is from internal lens motor, maybe change the lens to 18-50 mm has low noise, plugging external mic is ok. The support site is not yet available. The company that sells B&H is slow to answer the inquiry and I will not rely on this camera for video footage because I have canon vixia which has good video. I have no problem with still photo. Still researching to improve the video and waiting for tech support for their idea on how to improve the footage.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, default, pentax help, photography, reduction, troubleshooting, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Timelapse flickering smelliott Welcomes and Introductions 6 04-12-2015 12:42 AM
Flickering LCD on start up hjoseph7 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 07-24-2014 04:47 PM
K5 LCD flickering Azzy Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 5 06-19-2012 09:59 AM
flickering and colour shift in video kmlo1984 Video Recording and Processing 15 03-11-2010 01:12 PM
K-7 flickering screen? Vormulac Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 09-27-2009 02:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top