Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #1

pentax k-x issue with usb port

I love my K/x. but I am unable to transfer pictures via the cable anymore. maybe a bent pin or something according to local camera shop. I have 2 mem card with photos that I can see on camera but cannot get to transfer to PC via mem card to usb adaptor. Am I completely hosed? Precision camera repair show a fee of $212 just to look at camera?????
Do I have to format any new mem card before taking photos and then will PC recognize them as files???
Please, please HELP!

08-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

By "2 mem card" do you mean a 2GB SD card? That should be readable on any computer. Are you able to see the photos on the camera? If so, you may not be completely hosed yet. Try using a file recovery utility on your computer to extract the files. Also, you may want to try a different card in your camera (the conventional wisdom is to format the card in the camera for best results) and see if you have the same problem. If so, the issue is definitely with the camera and you may well be better off putting that $212 toward replacing it with something newer. If the other card works fine, then the problem lies with the one you're having issues with. After you've made every reasonable effort to salvage the images on it, reformat the card in your camera to see if that takes care of the problem. Also, consider updating your camera's firmware if you haven't already done so.
08-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

Maybe the problem is the USB port on the computer. Have you tried a different port both on the camera cable and the memory card reader? Try a different cable too.
08-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have the option of using a usb card reader which will read the sd card to the computer via the computer usb port.

You can use a magnifying glass to look at the pins/slots in both the camera and cable to see if they are damaged or missing. Testing your computer usb port with another cable to validate its operation is also a step you could take.

If the camera is under warranty, you can send it to Precision with a copy of a valid receipt and serial no. card/original boxing, along with a letter explaining the problem, using a common carrier such as UPS or Fedex. The original receipt with the date and your name/address is usually enough, but the other things I mentioned may be helpful to include. Also including your phone number/email in the letter will provide them with something to facilitate progress updates for you on their site as identifiers. If you send the camera, the capped camera body only should be included.

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-28-2017 at 10:34 AM.