Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2017, 05:09 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Another updated revelation. As I mentioned in my last text, I had fully charged the Eneloops Pro batteries, placed them into my k100d Super, took two shots using an external flash and then removed the batteries and placed them next to my computer. A thought occurred to me to try re-charging them again after only two shots and see what happens. Surprisingly when I placed the charger with the batteries into the wall socket, all four lights came on indicating that the batteries were low enough to require another charging. So after only two shots, the batteries took almost two hours to become fully charged. When they were fully charged, I installed them again into the camera, took two shots with an external flash, removed the batteries, placed them again into the charger and they are currently charging. All four lights came on. I cannot believe this. Either these batteries are defective or they are just not compatible with the k100d Super camera. I will wait and see what happens when they are fully charged again, placed into the camera, take two shots and then see how long it takes to re-charge them after only two shots. CYA Soon.

Tony

09-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I went ahead and placed the Eneloops Pro batteries fully charged into the k100d Super camera, took two shots using only the external flash. I then placed the batteries into the charging unit again and as earlier, they needed a recharging. My options now are to return the Eneloops Pro to Best Buy, or use them only in the Nikon SB-24 Speedlight. My tendency is to believe that these Eneloops are defective and should be returned for a full refund. I do wish to thank everyone for your willingness to be helpful, it is very much appreciated.

Adios,

Tony
09-18-2017, 07:35 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hi Brian,

Ahhh, I see what you are saying now. When I took a photo with the camera on 30", the shutter would open and the external flash would fire, however the shutter remained open the whole time. Interestingly enough, some of the photos turned out very well. I thought the external flash behaved somewhat oddly in that, when it was activated, it made sort of a "Poof" sound. I lost patience with it (Gee, imagine my surprise) and turned the camera off. Then the orange flashing light appeared and a few seconds later the photo appeared, this all happened with the camera switched off.
Hi Tony, if it is reading 30" what you described before is normal behavior. The sequence of shutter speeds for the k100d from shortest exposure to longest will look like this (assuming 1/2 EV steps):

4000, 3000, 2000, 1500, 1000, 750, 500, 350, 250, 180, 125, 90, 60, 45, 30, 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 4, 0.3", 0.5", 0.7", 1", 1.5", 2", 3", 4", 6", 8", 10", 15", 20", 30"

I have italicized half and bolded the other half. This is where the notation of the display changes - the italicized half shows the reciprocal of the actual shutter speed in seconds. The bolded half is the actual shutter speed in seconds. There is a " notation on the cameras LCD that separates the two (see the attached photo below, red arrow points to the difference). As per the sequence above, these represent exposures of length (and I'm not going to repeat them all):

1/4000 seconds, 1/3000 seconds, ...., 1/6 seconds, 1/4 seconds, 0.3 seconds, 0.5 seconds, ... , 20 seconds, 30 seconds.

If you are over in the 30 second end (display reads 30"), moving the dial in one direction to adjust the shutter speed will do nothing. I think we need to be absolutely clear where on the shutter speed spectrum you are before we can diagnose anything. The next time it happens, you could take a photo of the top LCD and send it here, or take a photo with the k100d super and attach it here with the full exif data included.

Regarding being able to charge your Eneloop Pros after a tiny amount of use, what type of charger are you using? Some just charge for two hours no matter how fresh or depleted the batteries are, they don't all detect the current voltage of the batteries. With the Pentax DSLR's that take AA's, if you're going to use rechargeable it is generally best to use a "smart" charger like a MaHa Wizard One, or one of the Lacrosse brand chargers. These are ideal for rechargeables no matter the use, but AA using DSLR's really demand the batteries be kept in top shape.
Attached Images

09-18-2017, 08:54 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I put lithium non-rechargeable AA batteries in my *ist DS. As mentioned above, they have a higher voltage than the rechargeable AAs. You can see this immediately - the autofocus will be faster. They are also lighter. The DS is so much lighter than my other cameras that I always think it has no batteries in it. I don't know how many shots the lithium batteries are good for, but they do have an exceptional shelf life, like 10 years.

You should also clean all the battery contacts.

My theory about your camera is that the internal battery that keeps the clock running and other settings has expired. On the *ist D, this battery could be replaced, but on all the other AA-powered cameras, it's soldered to the main board. This makes the camera even more battery sensitive than originally. That might create your odd shutter speed symptom.

---------- Post added 09-18-17 at 09:54 AM ----------

I put lithium non-rechargeable AA batteries in my *ist DS. As mentioned above, they have a higher voltage than the rechargeable AAs. You can see this immediately - the autofocus will be faster. They are also lighter. The DS is so much lighter than my other cameras that I always think it has no batteries in it. I don't know how many shots the lithium batteries are good for, but they do have an exceptional shelf life, like 10 years.

You should also clean all the battery contacts.

My theory about your camera is that the internal battery that keeps the clock running and other settings has expired. On the *ist D, this battery could be replaced, but on all the other AA-powered cameras, it's soldered to the main board. This makes the camera even more battery sensitive than originally. That might create your odd shutter speed symptom.

09-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Hi Tony, if it is reading 30" what you described before is normal behavior. The sequence of shutter speeds for the k100d from shortest exposure to longest will look like this (assuming 1/2 EV steps):

4000, 3000, 2000, 1500, 1000, 750, 500, 350, 250, 180, 125, 90, 60, 45, 30, 20, 15, 10, 8, 6, 4, 0.3", 0.5", 0.7", 1", 1.5", 2", 3", 4", 6", 8", 10", 15", 20", 30"

I have italicized half and bolded the other half. This is where the notation of the display changes - the italicized half shows the reciprocal of the actual shutter speed in seconds. The bolded half is the actual shutter speed in seconds. There is a " notation on the cameras LCD that separates the two (see the attached photo below, red arrow points to the difference). As per the sequence above, these represent exposures of length (and I'm not going to repeat them all):

1/4000 seconds, 1/3000 seconds, ...., 1/6 seconds, 1/4 seconds, 0.3 seconds, 0.5 seconds, ... , 20 seconds, 30 seconds.

If you are over in the 30 second end (display reads 30"), moving the dial in one direction to adjust the shutter speed will do nothing. I think we need to be absolutely clear where on the shutter speed spectrum you are before we can diagnose anything. The next time it happens, you could take a photo of the top LCD and send it here, or take a photo with the k100d super and attach it here with the full exif data included.

Regarding being able to charge your Eneloop Pros after a tiny amount of use, what type of charger are you using? Some just charge for two hours no matter how fresh or depleted the batteries are, they don't all detect the current voltage of the batteries. With the Pentax DSLR's that take AA's, if you're going to use rechargeable it is generally best to use a "smart" charger like a MaHa Wizard One, or one of the Lacrosse brand chargers. These are ideal for rechargeables no matter the use, but AA using DSLR's really demand the batteries be kept in top shape.
Hello Brian,
Thanks so much for your taking the time to be of assistance. I do of course understand the fractional shutter speeds and full second shutter speeds. I use the full seconds on my k-50 for shooting in low light conditions. My question is this: I will take the fully charged Eneloops Pro batteries and install them into the k100d Super. I will take two shots using the external flash and all is kosher at this point. I then will set up a third shot of the same subject, attempt to activate the shutter and nothing happens. I take a look at the top LCD Panel and the 30" is blinking in Tv. I should mention at this point that the mode dial is set to M. My question is: Why does this 30" show up when I didn't ask for it? My settings on the camera were: 1/125s, f/22, ISO 200, Focal Length approximately 12 feet, when the photos turned out very well. Again, all of a sudden I could not take the photo when the settings changed to 30" and Av 4.5. So at that point, I decided to try the rechargeable Energizers and they booted up the camera with no problem and the settings reverted back to 1/125s, F/22, etc.,etc. The charger that I use came with the Eneloops Pro batteries. It is: Panasonic BQ-CC17 Advanced Ni-MH. So when the charging is completed, the charging lights shut off. It happened again just this afternoon and I decided that if the camera does not work properly with one set of rechargeable batteries but works very well with a different set of rechargeables, it has to be the batteries. Everything works fine on the camera, even the battery level indicator works fine with the Energizers. I failed to mention earlier that I did clean all of the contacts in the camera, the charger and the batteries. There is no way I will part with the k100D super. Well, only when they pry it from my cold, dead hands. ) Thank you Charlton Heston. Thanks again everyone.

Tony
09-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
then will set up a third shot of the same subject, attempt to activate the shutter and nothing happens. I take a look at the top LCD Panel and the 30" is blinking in Tv.
Wow, that is a problem. I have been reading this thread and wanted to try to help. I have the K110D, I think its very similar to your camera. The problem you describe here shows something is wrong with the camera. I use eneloop batteries (you use the word pro, I don't know if mine are pros or not) they work very well with my K110D.

I have no answers for you, but I have two observations:
1. You mention many experiments to try to measure the life left in your batteries. I'd suggest you get a battery checker or a voltmeter to measure them. Then you know how charged they are for sure.

2. I decided a couple years ago that I can do better than a 6 megapixel DSLR and found and bought a K-5 for $300 on ebay. If I were you, I'd go looking for a better used camera and forget the broken one you're dealing with now. Most likely it cannot be fixed for less than many times it's value. I have seen K100Ds on ebay for under $100 last time I looked.

Good luck!
Jack
09-20-2017, 12:10 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Wow, that is a problem. I have been reading this thread and wanted to try to help. I have the K110D, I think its very similar to your camera. The problem you describe here shows something is wrong with the camera. I use eneloop batteries (you use the word pro, I don't know if mine are pros or not) they work very well with my K110D.

I have no answers for you, but I have two observations:
1. You mention many experiments to try to measure the life left in your batteries. I'd suggest you get a battery checker or a voltmeter to measure them. Then you know how charged they are for sure.

2. I decided a couple years ago that I can do better than a 6 megapixel DSLR and found and bought a K-5 for $300 on ebay. If I were you, I'd go looking for a better used camera and forget the broken one you're dealing with now. Most likely it cannot be fixed for less than many times it's value. I have seen K100Ds on ebay for under $100 last time I looked.

Good luck!
Jack
Hello Jack,

I am very sad to report that you may very well be correct in your theory. Here is why. As I mentioned far too many times, the camera failed after only two shots using the Eneloops Pro rechargeable batteries, however it performed very well with the Energizer rechargeable batteries. Well, earlier today I fully charged the Energizer batteries, placed them into my K100D Super and it worked fine for about four shots using an external speedlight, but then failed for the fifth shot. Shutter speed reverted back to 30". In other words, the camera is not working properly with either set of rechargeables. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that his k100d never functioned well using rechargeable batteries. What a bummer, as we used to say in 1960s. I have over $60.00 in rechargeable batteries and chargers and cannot use them in my camera. My only option now is to invest in the Energizer Advanced Lithium AA Batteries.

Again, many thanks for all the generous help.

Best regards,
Tony

P.S. Another thought just hit me. I purchased the Eneloops Pro from Best Buy in Oct., 2016. I never had any problems with them until now. I wonder if as long as the batteries could be recharged up to 100% capacity, everything was fine. Meaning now that they are older and have seen a lot of action, they can only be recharged perhaps to 70 or 80%. I do recall reading somewhere that the batteries must be at full capacity in order for the gear to function fully. Oh well, live and learn.

03-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Greetings,

Well I finally got to a point where I missed making a nuisance out of myself. ) Okay, here goes; I finally had enough of being dragged over the rocks with my K100D Super and donated it to Goodwill in Sept., 2017. After about 30 minutes I felt as though I had just given away my first born child and have been missing it a lot. I found a K100D with only 3,174 clicks for a decent price.

I have the same Eneloops Pro Batteries (rechargeables) and slipped them into the camera (fully charged) and everything seemed just fine. After approx., 30 snaps, this same problem happened again. Without stepping into my own tracks again, I decided to install four brand new Duracell AA Alkaline batteries. I was able to take 50 shots without using the built-in flash and there were no changed camera settings. I believe it is a power issue with the Eneloops Pro Batteries. I am going to get a pack of Energizer AA Ultimate Lithium batteries and go from there.

I am really disappointed with the Eneloops, but I can still use them in my Nikon Spdlt. The charger I am using is the: Panasonic,BQ-CC17, Advanced Ni-MH.

Once again, thanks so much for all of the assistance.

Tony

---------- Post added 03-24-18 at 04:04 PM ----------

This is really driving me nuts. I fully recharged the Eneloops Pro batteries, slipped them into the K100d and gently fired off 120 shots with no flash and no problems occurred. The camera settings remained the same at 1/125s and lens @ f/5.6 using my Pentax-DA 18~55mm AL. Now I have to say that the only thing I did differently was to allow the batteries to cool down before inserting them into the camera. I do not know if that is a factor, but again it is the only thing I did differently. The same batteries are in the charger now and will see if the experiment will work again.

Tony
04-16-2018, 08:51 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Greetings one and all. Well, I could not come up with any type of a solution, so I went and purchased a pack of Energizer AA Lithium Ultimate Batteries, good until 2037. I shot perhaps twenty photos and the problem still persisted. Again, I would set the shutter speed to 1/125s, F/22 (because I was using an external speedlight) and when I went to take another shot, I could see the settings in the viewfinder had changed to -30. I decided to take someone's suggestion and turn the edial in the opposite direction and was able to get it back to its original setting. I took another twenty or so shots and again the problem returned. I was able to get it back to where I wanted the settings to be. Now it begs the question, why are the settings changing without any outside influence? I failed to mention that at times the shutter speed would change to -4 or even -1.7. At this juncture I feel it is best to take it over to my friends at Advance Camera in Portland, Oregon and see what they discover. Once again, many,many thanks to everyone for your help.

Tony