Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Impending aperture block failure?

Hi all

I've just started to experience a very strange phenomenon with my K-S2. When I switch it on sometimes the very first picture taken produces a completely black image. It seems to be completely fine after that and only happens the first time.

Its happened when different lenses are attached and not after it's been sat unattended - I'm currently in the process of refreshing my way around the camera in time my hols.

What is worrying me a little is, having looked around the forum, it appears that it could be the first signs of the dreaded aperture block problem. Does this sound about right?

Any advice appreciated

08-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

It certainly sounds like it - you should take two pictures right after another and check the exposure values, if they're the same, but the first picture is significantly darker, I'd say you've been hit. Hope you still are under warranty with that camera...
08-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Unfortunately not . If that's the case I may have to bite the bullet and find somewhere to get it fixed here in the UK
08-31-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Don't fret if the aperture mechanism fails. You can always use it with a M42 adapter for manual lenses. Also, don't forget M and A series lenses with the green button. I am doing this with my K-30 and having fun with it.

08-31-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Don't fret if the aperture mechanism fails. You can always use it with a M42 adapter for manual lenses. Also, don't forget M and A series lenses with the green button. I am doing this with my K-30 and having fun with it.
6BQ5 does the K30 green button still function when the ACB is dead? I seem to have a green button that is not functioning and an ACB I brought back to life by blasting away on a continuous burst. Sassinak have you tried the continuous burst heal technique. Clear a memory card, set the camera to jpeg only with a size of 5 megapixels and then just blast away in continuous shooting mode. My ACB healed (at least for the moment) with this technique.
08-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #6

See this thread:
Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first! - PentaxForums.com
08-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
6BQ5 does the K30 green button still function when the ACB is dead? I seem to have a green button that is not functioning and an ACB I brought back to life by blasting away on a continuous burst. Sassinak have you tried the continuous burst heal technique. Clear a memory card, set the camera to jpeg only with a size of 5 megapixels and then just blast away in continuous shooting mode. My ACB healed (at least for the moment) with this technique.
Yep. It should work. Set the aperture on your M or A lens to whatever value you want and press the free button. The aperture will close down to the value set on the lens and exposure will be set properly.