Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-31-2017, 11:47 AM   #1

Post processing help please

The attached photo was taken by a friend. It is one of his favorite places to be. My friend had a heart attack last week and is now doing fine but I learned of this photo during his recovery. It was take on his phone and you can see the over exposure of the moon, the glare spots.... I'd like to get this printed along with some others to hang in his office. Something to make him relax when he looks at them.

I don't own the software or have the skill/experiance to post process this and try to make something useable out of it. Is there anyone out there that would be willing give this a shot? I would appreciate it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
08-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm afraid this is a really bad case...

1. it's a highly compressed jpeg, not a RAW, and there's not much to go on.
2. the horizon is badly angled, and straightening it will force a brutal cut of the picture: you lose almost all of the boat

Best thing one can do is a square crop, IMHO, and this is the "less bad" I could do... I hope someone else comes up with something better, but at any rate I tried and something is better than nothing ;-)
Attached Images

08-31-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'm afraid this is a really bad case...

1. it's a highly compressed jpeg, not a RAW, and there's not much to go on.
2. the horizon is badly angled, and straightening it will force a brutal cut of the picture: you lose almost all of the boat

Best thing one can do is a square crop, IMHO, and this is the "less bad" I could do... I hope someone else comes up with something better, but at any rate I tried and something is better than nothing ;-)
Yeah it brightened up so much that it looks like high noon rahter than moonlight. Thanks for givign it a shot.
08-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shakey Quote
Yeah it brightened up so much that it looks like high noon rahter than moonlight. Thanks for givign it a shot.
Whops sorry. Moonlight. Not contre-jour. My bad.

There! night-night (not night-day...)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 

Last edited by LensBeginner; 08-31-2017 at 12:49 PM.
08-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not sure it is a keeper...
Attachment 368377

Last edited by SpecialK; 07-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
08-31-2017, 12:58 PM   #6
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Umm, the EXIF says it was taken at 9.15 AM. And at 1/40,000th at ISO 32. Doesn't sound like a night shot to me... LensBeginner's first attempt is probably about as good as it gets.
08-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Funny Savoche....I never even checked! I assumed as did others that saw it...that it was a night shot! How embarassing.

Ok, call off the need for help....and thank you all for jumping in. Sorry to waste your time.

08-31-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another effort
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
08-31-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

IF you wanted more of the eclipse to show, there is absolutely NO way to fix that. There are no levels to pull down from in the sun to show the eclipse.. it is blown out. No amount of manipulation is going to get it to show. Sorry.
09-01-2017, 04:21 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This exercise does illustrate the limits of "phone" photography. I can no longer count the number of times someone has asked me to help with photos taken with phones, even good ones, and been frustrated. Now I let them down as gently as I can, and rarely even try.
09-01-2017, 06:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is what I got. Sorry, it's hard to edit uploaded jpeg.