Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Extreme contrast on consecutive shots on the K-50

As mentioned in my last post last week the coil was seen as suspect but now every pic is just a dark screen. Well they say three strikes and you are out well that will do me with Pentax after three duds in around nine years. No surprise I that I have never seen an ad for a Pentax in a Camera House catalogue. I will now have a serious look at the Nikon D850. Appreciate the fantastic support here from members. And for that reason this will be my last post

09-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Terry, Sorry to hear about your K-50 issues mate, very disappointing. But please think about the forums being about the members, photography and the information available. We have many non-Pentax members here who contribute a great deal. We can always make room for one more.
09-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that, Terry. It's a shame to lose you after only 8 posts.

It sounds like you've been very unlucky, which does happen, and I appreciate how frustrating it must be. I've had pretty bad luck with Tamron lenses, but I still like them and continue to shoot with them.

I don't think the issues you've experienced have anything to do with Camera House not carrying Pentax, nor are they a general indication of Pentax reliability (though it might be comforting to think so). The vast majority of members here would, I'm sure, tell you that they've had mostly trouble-free service from their Pentax equipment - though a significant number of K-30 and K-50 owners do appear to have suffered the aperture control solenoid issue.

All brands have problems, of course - Nikon included. But, I wish you success and happiness with the D850 (it's a great camera, from the reports I've heard).

Good luck!
09-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, that will be quite an upgrade (k-50 to D850) $800 body to $3,200! I really hope it works out for you, I have had a few failures of gear that required repair and it is very frustrating. Best of luck to you. And thanks for stopping by to tell us you won't be stopping by. It is so frustrating when people with just a few posts simply disappear.

09-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Wow, that will be quite an upgrade (k-50 to D850) $800 body to $3,200! I really hope it works out for you, I have had a few failures of gear that required repair and it is very frustrating. Best of luck to you. And thanks for stopping by to tell us you won't be stopping by. It is so frustrating when people with just a few posts simply disappear.
A K-3II would have left around $2K for great glass. K-XP/K-70 even more. But to each his/her own!

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-02-2017 at 11:29 AM.
09-04-2017, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Terry, Sorry to hear about your K-50 issues mate, very disappointing. But please think about the forums being about the members, photography and the information available. We have many non-Pentax members here who contribute a great deal. We can always make room for one more.
Yes, sorry I will retract that & No, I will not be in the market (no way) for a D850; thanks for your considration

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 03:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
A K-3II would have left around $2K for great glass. K-XP/K-70 even more. But to each his/her own!
Yes, sorry I will retract that & No, I will not be in the market (no way) for a D850; thanks for your considration. I will stay now that people have shown empathy

---------- Post added 09-04-17 at 03:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

It sounds like you've been very unlucky, which does happen, and I appreciate how frustrating it must be. I've had pretty bad luck with Tamron lenses, but I still like them and continue to shoot with them.

I don't think the issues you've experienced have anything to do with Camera House not carrying Pentax, nor are they a general indication of Pentax reliability (though it might be comforting to think so). The vast majority of members here would, I'm sure, tell you that they've had mostly trouble-free service from their Pentax equipment - though a significant number of K-30 and K-50 owners do appear to have suffered the aperture control solenoid issue.

All brands have problems, of course - Nikon included. But, I wish you success and happiness with the D850 (it's a great camera, from the reports I've heard).

Good luck!
No just a stupid remark Mike..cannot go close to purchasing a Nikon D850 but was a bit upset and will stay as a contributor where I can. I still have a mint condition 18-55mm white lens but no working camera to attach at present. Thank you for the consideration
09-04-2017, 03:42 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

$8 solenoid will probably fix it, Tezza, but someone would have to put it in.

09-04-2017, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote

Good luck!
I may have gone off half cocked a few days ago but the last 24 hours has been interesting; to backtrack my first Pentax K-100D was a problem right from the start & always back in for repair even under warranty but was never a good camera. My second one the white K-50 went in (at the recommendation of Camera House) after over three years good use for a clean @ $150.00 & after three weeks when it came back I had the cleanest not working camera in town. Took it in to Camera House who then contacted Pentax who were unconcerned & said it was not related and it has a faulty diaphragm & can be repaired for another $330.00. And that was it, no mention of why that was not suggested while they had it and not have to send it back incurring another $50.00 postage outlay. So I still have it and to (while I considered what to do next & not able to afford $600.00 odd for a replacement at present I decided to rent one for six months first. And had a problem with it, but after three unsuccessful attempts at getting a reply back from cameracorp I had a lovely call today with profuse apologies & they are going to take it back with a full refund or maybe rerent if they find it viable to have it looked at & repaired. So.............
09-04-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tezza Quote
I may have gone off half cocked a few days ago but the last 24 hours has been interesting; to backtrack my first Pentax K-100D was a problem right from the start & always back in for repair even under warranty but was never a good camera. My second one the white K-50 went in (at the recommendation of Camera House) after over three years good use for a clean @ $150.00 & after three weeks when it came back I had the cleanest not working camera in town. Took it in to Camera House who then contacted Pentax who were unconcerned & said it was not related and it has a faulty diaphragm & can be repaired for another $330.00. And that was it, no mention of why that was not suggested while they had it and not have to send it back incurring another $50.00 postage outlay. So I still have it and to (while I considered what to do next & not able to afford $600.00 odd for a replacement at present I decided to rent one for six months first. And had a problem with it, but after three unsuccessful attempts at getting a reply back from cameracorp I had a lovely call today with profuse apologies & they are going to take it back with a full refund or maybe rerent if they find it viable to have it looked at & repaired. So.............
Cameracorp must have somebody on staff who can use a soldering iron ... as our forum members have discovered, a bog standard solenoid (like the ones in many CD players) is all that needs to be replaced, no need to be up for a whole aperture block.
09-05-2017, 12:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Cameracorp must have somebody on staff who can use a soldering iron ... as our forum members have discovered, a bog standard solenoid (like the ones in many CD players) is all that needs to be replaced, no need to be up for a whole aperture block.
Yeah, you could be right..wait & see