Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital camera Utility CD doesn't work

I have a new pentax k1. The CD wont read on my drive.

09-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

You don't really need the CD if you have some other program to develop RAW files. Photoshop, Zoner Photo, Lightroom, GIMP. RAWTherapee - just to name a few. I'm not familiar with Mac offerings.

What OS are you running? If you are on Windows you can download the update for DCU 5.x from Ricoh and "fool" the installation into thinking you have it installed already. If the OS shows the label on CD (SW-1xx) then all you need is the CD in the drive when you run the update. With Windows 7 you need to change the volume name on a removable drive (flash drive etc.) to SW-140 or so and then run the update. With Windows 8-10 just keep clicking "OK/Continue" despite any warning messages the come up.

With Mac OS download the file then create an ISO file and attach that as a virtual drive and run the install from the virtual drive.

For Mac Users:
Installing Digital Camera Utility with no CD drive - PentaxForums.com

For Windows victims:
How to install the PPL Upgrade when you don't have the orginal disk or PPL installed - PentaxForums.com

Windows Update:
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Mac Update:
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
09-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

DCU can be downloaded from the Ricoh support website. (You do not need a CD).) To install it from the download, you will need to have a USB stick or memory card entitled "S-SW140". Once installed, you do not need to use again the USB stick or card.

DCU is not a bad software in terms of capability, but its interface is not the most convivial. Personally I continue to use DCU as well as Photoshop, depending upon my needs.

Hope that the info will help.
09-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You don't really need the CD if you have some other program to develop RAW files. Photoshop, Zoner Photo, Lightroom, GIMP. RAWTherapee - just to name a few. I'm not familiar with Mac offerings.
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
DCU is not a bad software in terms of capability, but its interface is not the most convivial. Personally I continue to use DCU as well as Photoshop, depending upon my needs.
DCU is useful, especially if you decide to use pixel shift (although I believe RawTherapee does a pretty good job with that now, too). Otherwise, a camera of the K-1's calibre really deserves a high-end RAW image development tool, IMHO. Personally, I'm a fan of Lightroom (stand-alone rather than subscription version), but there are several others that are just as good depending on your processing priorities.

09-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #5

If you have access to an external USB DVD or CD drive, try connecting it to your computer and try installing the DCU from it.
05-27-2018, 04:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Second guide how to install the update without ODD is here in the forum:
DCU 5.51 - Mac install with no previous version - PentaxForums.com