Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2017, 10:08 AM   #1

Scratches or cleaning marks Takumar 35/2

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, I have recently received a Takumar 35mm f2 from Japan. It was from a camera shop through eBay.

It was described as "Some dusts and some little dust specks. almost no cleaning marks, no fungus, no fogs. The lenses become yellowish (normal as 35mm f2). I rate this lens optical condition in Ex for the age. "

I looks really nice and I have used it and like it.

On inspection by holding it up to the light with the aperture open I can see hair line scratches. There are four, I tried a lens pen encase they could be removed but they can;t. Also there is a coating of haze.

It does not affect the images as far as I know.

There haze does not bother me as I guess it can be cleaned out at some point but is there any way of removing these scratches? I am guessing the term cleaning marks means fine scratches?

You cannot see them from the front! Only if you look through the rear element and use a flash light.

I could live with it but Just think if the optics are described as excellent by a camera shop they should be no scratches.

Here is the advert...

M42 Asahi Opt Co,Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm f2 w EX- | eBay

Any ideas?

I have just gone through my collection of Takumars now I know how to check them and am surprised how spotless they all are

Chris

Last edited by cjt28; 09-12-2017 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Correction
09-12-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
"Cleaning marks" typically refer to fine scratches extending into the coating only (i.e., you cannot feel them if you run a fingernail across them). Unless there are a ton of them, the effect on your image will be essentially nil. I wouldn't worry about them.

Frankly, I'd be more upset about the haze, since it will affect contrast, and you will have to pay a tech to clean it out.
Thanks's dcshooter for the fast response. There are four scratches one about 20mm and one around 10mm the other two are about 5mm. You definitely cannot see or feel them from the front element. You cannot see any haze either. The lens looks spotless.

I was just surprised to see it as it came from a camera shop. I now know how to check properly though. i have just gone through all of my lenses and they are all clean. I have an SMC Takumar 105/2.8 that is so clean it look like there is no glass!

I guess it will show up more obvious on a faster lens. I'v cleaned out an M series 50/1.7 so may have a go at this sometime. I was thinking of returning it but don't want to part with it either.

Last edited by cjt28; 09-15-2017 at 05:01 AM.
09-13-2017, 04:30 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi dcshooter, yes I certainly treat it as a collectible and would have preferred it as scratch less. I sent a polite message to the seller to point out the issue and he politly apologised and said he had missed it. He offered a full refund including postage should I wish to return it or a partial refund of $60 if I wanted to keep it.

I accepted the $60 so it works out I have paid a total of $73.50 which I think is a bargain. I'm going to clean it out and keep it and also try the UV light on the rear element.

Thanks again

Chris
09-13-2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I ever get a yellowed lens, I plan to shoot black & white film with it and save the cost of a light yellow contrast filter!